Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a future for the PPG?

I hadn't dropped into the Pentax Photo Gallery for a while and as I was there I decided to upload an image taken with the K-1 for the first time.

Whilst doing this I noticed that for whatever reason the camera detail had to be entered manually which was odd as it always automatically identified images taken with the K5 and added that info in. When I tried to enter the type of camera I found the last model included in the list is the K50. As I could not identify the K-1 I decided to log out and have a look around the forums.

So I had a quick search under Pentax Photo Gallery and PPG but nothing pops up with discussions on whether they're just slow adding new models or that the PPG site is being shelved/updated or whatever.

Can anyone add anything on this or point me to a thread about this topic please?

Tas

07-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Is there a future for the PPG?
I have not made a contribution there in several years and have been of the understanding that it was not being actively maintained or curated. FWIW, I stopped being active there because the general quality of submissions for judging was uniformly poor with many of those being accepted.

Steve
07-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm still contributing and still getting photos accepted/approved. I, though not like some, only load my best photos or what others consider my best when commenting on them in flickr.
I don't think there are as many people voting now days. The last two I got approved took two months and three days.

As for others quality, I am not sure why they even bother but they do seem to get approved....
07-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a duck in an empty pond.

07-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hadn't submitted for a months, but I started again on May 17th. They are still marked pending...

If there is so little traffic that it takes more than two months to get a photo approved I would say it is pretty much dead.

PPG used to have a pretty prominent spot on the US Ricoh website. Now it is a link at the bottom of the page. Like everything US Ricoh does it is just kind of half assed.
07-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the senior executive by tenure in place at the rollout of the K-1 is the newly-hired Vice-President of Marketing such things as PPT tend to lose precedence.
07-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Timely thread for me. Just submitted my first image in almost three years, and based on the volume of images I had to vote on to get to the bottom of the pile, it seemed as if the site might not be being maintained so well. It's lasted longer than I thought it might (although you could say it's on life support now) and I keep my fingers crossed that someone at Ricoh might find it worthy of reenergizing.

07-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am submitting from time to time, and voting as well, but the overall quality of the submitted photos became disappointing.

There are still very good photos from time to time, but the voting system IMO became totally automated: photo reaches XX number of thumbs up = is included in one of the galleries... I expressly checked many times what is happening when I press thumbs DOWN (for photos not deserving to be included) and in many cases it appeared in the "recently added" gallery exactly after my vote... (this is why I'm sure it is just a matter of number of votes reached and proportion between them). Btw: Nowadays I never reach to the end when voting... and some times I spent more time on voting - just to see if there's an end

In the old times the last word was depending on a human (at least for the premiere gallery) and/or the proportion of the thumbs up vs thumbs down was way bigger...

Sadly PPG is no longer the site where one should be proud to have photos included. The premiere gallery for example is simply "closed" - I didn't see any changes there for years.

On the other side, the increasing number of submitters is good, Pentax is better known/sold... Ricoh could do something to keep PPG as a high standard showcase for photos taken with Pentax cameras/lenses (and using photos from here to promote the brand) - but in this form it is a little bit useless ...
07-28-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

No. This might sound harsh, but for a long time now the photos being approved have been of poor quality. Totally uninspiring.

Sadly folks, no gallery on the planet would think of presenting the vast majority of what's on it. And the way they're compressed and displayed... shameless. The way it's been maintained... a total joke.

A great marketing opportunity... lost. Some great stuff, don't get me wrong, but it grows scarier every time I look.

If that offends anyone, you're among the people that helped to absolutely ruin it.
07-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
No. This might sound harsh, but for a long time now the photos being approved have been of poor quality. Totally uninspiring.

Sadly folks, no gallery on the planet would think of presenting the vast majority of what's on it. And the way they're compressed and displayed... shameless. The way it's been maintained... a total joke.

A great marketing opportunity... lost. Some great stuff, don't get me wrong, but it grows scarier every time I look.

If that offends anyone, you're among the people that helped to absolutely ruin it.
I don't agree with you. Most photos I see there are of good quality. As for how it's maintained - I've not loaded a photo there for ages - so cannot comment on that.
07-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't agree with you. Most photos I see there are of good quality. As for how it's maintained - I've not loaded a photo there for ages - so cannot comment on that.
Fair enough, that's just my opinion, you may feel differently. I'm confident about my feelings too.

My comment on how it's been maintained is in regards to how the sub-collections have been updated. Some collections, like The Premiere Collection, haven't been updated in months if not years, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong though, I quit checking regularly a long time ago.
07-29-2016, 05:14 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it sounds harsh. It also sounds snobbish, rude, insulting, and trollish.
07-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, it sounds harsh. It also sounds snobbish, rude, insulting, and trollish.
And your post sounds like classic baiting.

I've been reading comments here about the PPG's decline for years (and the title of this very thread is "Is there a future for the PPG?"). I also was under the impression that this site's own premier/exclusive gallery was created because of the PPG's decline.

There's some mind-blowing stuff on the PPG--phenomenal stuff. And there's some not so great stuff. Obviously. Certainly, I would think, to the regulars here on this forum.

There's still phenomenal stuff being approved. But it's being really badly diluted by some photos that shouldn't be approved in my opinion.
07-29-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And your post sounds like classic baiting
A moderator baiting?
The post being responded to used exaggerated emotive language and he's being called out on it.
PPG has had lots of entries go in that we all might think are too leniently accepted, but those who judge make it happen. If we're not judges, then make a point to the gallery creators. Best be a part of the solution.
07-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A moderator baiting?.
That always ends well.