Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Didn't want to be THAT guy...

Today my favorite radio show is visiting a local brewery, so I am thinking, alright perfect day to call in sick from work
Anyway, of course i am bringing my K-1 and 31mm. I was also going to bring my Tammy 70-200mm...but I didn't want to be THAT guy. You know, the guy that brings the giant rig at a bar to take essentially snap shots. So I opted for my FA 135mm instead.

The tammy is better optically in pretty much every aspect than the FA. But it can be a drag to lug around, and nothing says camera geek like taking a 70-200mm to a bar.

Am i the only one to feel this way?

By the way, i was fully intending to sell the FA 135mm when i got the tammy...but after today, i may have to keep both

07-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am "that guy" and I don't particularly care if anyone has a problem with it.
07-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I am "that guy" and I don't particularly care if anyone has a problem with it.
Didn't mean it as an insult
Honestly, i really am envious of folks that arent self conscious, i think it would really improve my photography. (And other parts of my life as well, but that is a whole 'nother can of worms).
07-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I, too, am "that guy" (well, "gal"). I take the big camera, the big lens, I keep it out and point it at people and things. It makes my husband embarrassed sometimes, but he's getting over it. ;-)

07-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Honestly, i really am envious of folks that arent self conscious, i think it would really improve my photography. (And other parts of my life as well, but that is a whole 'nother can of worms).
I think part of it comes down to your characterization of your intended photography as "snap shots." The bottom line is if you need a particular accessory to meet a particular photographic goal, then that's the answer. I can sympathize with your desire not to stick out, but in the end, most people at a bar are focused on themselves and their own enjoyment, not what other people are dragging around on their person. If you need a big zoom to get the images you want, you need to carry a big zoom regardless of what other people think. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
07-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've taken to just using my DA 21mm for events like this. It's a nice wide-ish lens, tiny and inspires a bit of curiosity. You can even turn the camera around and take selfies with people.
07-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Should get a Q!

07-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I was on a trip there were periods where I was carrying my camera with the 60-250 everywhere. I don't think anyone cared other than they probably thought I looked stupid using such a big setup when they were using their iPhones to take photos. Generally the weight is more than I want, so I've been thinking of an F135 as an option for weight. I've tried my M135, but it's not convenient to focus when trying to casually snap people in public places (it's ok if I shoot stopped down). I also use my FA-77 and crop if I need to. That at works well enough most of the time, which is another reason I've not tried to hard for an auto-focus 135. It might matter more if I ever get a K-1.
07-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I walk around with my K-3 and DA*50-135. That's about as geeky as I can get in digital mode.
07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's why I have the K-01, but then I undo the effect and attach the 16-50; and I have the yellow one (K-01). Looks just right with the 15 ltd though.
07-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Am i the only one to feel this way?
No, I am sometimes THAT guy. I feel a little uncomfortable in that some others may feel uncomfortable, it looks overkill at times when others are using much less, and at times it may raise expectations from others that I know what I'm doing, which is only about 10% true, and they want me to share my photos with them. I'm happy to share, but don't expect otherworldly results.
07-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are worse versions of "that guy". I was at Point Lobos (near Monterey CA) last Saturday with my daughter taking pictures. All of a sudden I started hearing really fast clicking sound. There was a guy with a full frame Nikon with a HUGE zoom lens on it walking around shooting hand held and firing off half a dozen pictures at a time. I was obvious that everybody was supposed to look at him and be impressed. My daughter and I took a different trail. At least everyone here who mentioned being "that guy" had real reason to bring the stuff.
07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

No, I'm not that guy that call in sick if I'm not sick.
07-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's funny when I shot film and even in the early days of digital, I had no issues pulling out a camera and a 2.8 zoom. What has changed is people not only don't use SLR style cameras as much anymore, but they don't use cameras anymore. So, unlike before when you pulled out your camera and no one really noticed, now a camera is really a curiosity of sorts.

I can definitely see being more self conscious. Especially if you are basically just grabbing snap shots.

07-30-2016, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
There are worse versions of "that guy". I was at Point Lobos (near Monterey CA) last Saturday with my daughter taking pictures. All of a sudden I started hearing really fast clicking sound. There was a guy with a full frame Nikon with a HUGE zoom lens on it walking around shooting hand held and firing off half a dozen pictures at a time. I was obvious that everybody was supposed to look at him and be impressed. My daughter and I took a different trail. At least everyone here who mentioned being "that guy" had real reason to bring the stuff.
I'm not following. The guy was holding a camera and taking pictures, and you assume that he was just there to get compliments on his camera? Maybe he was, you know, actually there to take pictures, with his camera, in that lovely location? And that half dozen pictures could very well be a 5 exposure bracket for HDR. Where did you even get that he was showing off? Was he walking around saying "Oh, man, look at my gigantic heavy camera, I am so very cool and so much better than all of you?"