Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Planned or on the fly?

A thought that struck me this morning when I was hanging the washing out. I noticed something in the garden that looked like it would make an interesting image, but by the time I'd finished the task I was doing the scene had changed and the chance had gone.

Anyway the thought was this, how many of us plan to go out and take pictures, and how many just see something and snap it?

Obviously there are some cases when you need to plan ahead, particularly when doing studio work, but the question was more along the lines of "I think I'll go and take some photos tomorrow" as opposed to "that looks nice I'll take a photo of it".

Of course we probably all do both, but which do you do most of?

08-27-2016, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

When I go to an event, I plan some compositions to take and I make many candids also. Of course I set up "moments" too.

When I go out in my city (Budapest), there is two cases. The first is when I go to a new part. In this case I plan only a little and my goal is to get familiar whit that park/building/etc. The second case is when I go back to a place for some planned photographs. I definitly get better shots when I plan it. I feel I need much more practicing to find the spots for realy appelling compositions, but when I find one, I know how I want to set up the camera in general. So when I'am planning I take much better shots.
08-27-2016, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally, I drop what I'm doing and take any chance I am presented.

Around my yard, and around the town, there are some places I go back to again and again, having planned shots, at least mulled them over, considering time of day, the weather, etc.
08-27-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
A thought that struck me this morning when I was hanging the washing out. I noticed something in the garden that looked like it would make an interesting image, but by the time I'd finished the task I was doing the scene had changed and the chance had gone.

Anyway the thought was this, how many of us plan to go out and take pictures, and how many just see something and snap it?

Obviously there are some cases when you need to plan ahead, particularly when doing studio work, but the question was more along the lines of "I think I'll go and take some photos tomorrow" as opposed to "that looks nice I'll take a photo of it".

Of course we probably all do both, but which do you do most of?

For me, it is 75% planning and 25% on impulse. I generally need to plan ahead due to the fact I also take care of my father and where we live. Around the house there isn't much of an of a need for impulse photography.

What I hate more then anything is when I see something that would make a great photograph but I don't have a camera with me. I have had that happen too many times.

08-27-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I see something that would make a great photograph but I don't have a camera with me.
After a few years of doing that, I almost always have a camera with me, even if it's just a good point and shoot.
08-28-2016, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

For me it's sort of "none of the above". That is, I rarely go anywhere without a camera, and quite often with the camera in hand (even more so after I got a GR), but mostly I go out without any concrete plans for what to shoot. I do notice potential subjects that I need to think through how to best capture at a later stage, but mostly shoot unplanned.

Obviously, photography is purely a hobby for me. I don't want it to become "worklike"

08-28-2016, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's all a 100% planned for me... but with added bonus of 25% accidental happenings while doing the 100% planned.

So with all this good numbers... why do I not get 125% worth of fantastic imagery.

08-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The first is when I go to a new part. In this case I plan only a little and my goal is to get familiar whit that park/building/etc. The second case is when I go back to a place for some planned photographs. I definitly get better shots when I plan it. I feel I need much more practicing to find the spots for realy appelling compositions,
Great idea!
08-28-2016, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think I am planned on the fly? or on the fly yet planned? LOL - I don't fully plan like 'wake up at 4 drive across the county to get a sunrise' plan, but I plan a mood or a thought and look for things that fit that and when I am out I try to think I want a shape or a look and I take the time to focus and set up the shot accordingly. When I try to take things on pure on the fly - like "wow look a hawk sitting on a swing in my backyard, let me get a picture" - it never turns out. And then I beat myself up terribly for it being out of focus or having too low shutter speed or other silly mistakes. I think I get too excited in the moment and just stop paying attention.
08-28-2016, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my shots are "on the fly"; an opportunity presented to grab the camera. I do have planned shots also, like when I go to the lake's edge to get photos of the ducks & geese; but mainly, I see something that interests me, and the result is taking the shot.

I enjoyed reading the answers so far, very interesting; and a great question, OP!
08-28-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I do a bit of both although I get more good pics when I plan and go out. But that's to be expected. Usually the fleeting pics I see around the house are only an individual thing, as opposed to going out to a great setting where there may be multiple picture opportunities. I often think about something an artist said during an interview..."Beauty is wherever you are, if you're willing to accept it."
08-28-2016, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

By far the results I'm happiest with were planned and taken during planned outings. I do still photograph interesting stuff I happen across, but the results are generally boring from a photographic standpoint. Well, more boring.

I have been leaving the camera bag behind more and more during random non-photograph centeric outings, and rely on an old hand-me down smartphone (no cell plan) if I want photos for reference, especially when I'm with other people. I do usually carry a notebook so if I come across something worth exploring later on my own time, I make notes, sketch plans, etc.
08-28-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I think I am planned on the fly? or on the fly yet planned? LOL - I don't fully plan like 'wake up at 4 drive across the county to get a sunrise' plan, but I plan a mood or a thought and look for things that fit that and when I am out I try to think I want a shape or a look and I take the time to focus and set up the shot accordingly. When I try to take things on pure on the fly - like "wow look a hawk sitting on a swing in my backyard, let me get a picture" - it never turns out. And then I beat myself up terribly for it being out of focus or having too low shutter speed or other silly mistakes. I think I get too excited in the moment and just stop paying attention.
Good point, what's the definition of "plan" here? I have never done anything like checking the Ephemeris/Exsate app in combination with Google Earth and image search to plan angles and timing for the perfect shot before going somewhere. I might use one or the other to get a general idea, though. Mostly I just go - and if it's a place I've been to before I usually have an idea of what I should look for.

Whether I succeed or not rarely depends on my planning. If I'm in "the zone" I usually get images I'm happy with whatever I do, and if I'm out of it, well, then nothing works.

I've heard that the most important factor in taking stunning images is luck. And the more images you take and the more you practice, the luckier you get