Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Seller ethics - what would you do?

I recently bought a new Pentax lens from a smaller UK supplier via eBay at a good discounted price. It was the only one they had according to the Buy It Now listing which showed "3 sold, 1 left", and after I bought it, they showed no more stock.

When the lens arrived, I tried it out on my K-3, and within minutes of testing had found that it was badly decentered, with a very soft area down the left-hand-side at all apertures. So, I returned it to the supplier, with photos showing examples of the problem in test images. It arrived with them last Friday and - to give them due credit - they refunded me immediately. Within an hour, though, I noticed that they were now showing one of the same model lens available on eBay again. I've e-mailed them to ask if this is the same one I returned (as I'd still like to buy one - just not THAT copy!), but I've had no response - which increases my suspicions that they've re-advertised a lens they know has been returned as faulty (or, at the very least, requires service).

I feel like I should let others know of the seller here, as they seem to be a little cavalier about selling less-than-perfect stock, but I'm struggling to make my mind up. The seller has, after all, been perfectly decent in promptly refunding the full price including postage costs. And, I suppose there may be some customers who would consider the lens acceptable (though they'd have to be either unknowledgeable or very tolerant, as the decentering issue was terrible).

What would you do in the circumstances? Forewarn other forum members, or accept the fact that a refund was given, and leave it at that?

09-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate unethical conduct, but in this case I don't think you should act on your suspicions without complete knowledge of the facts.

What you could do is post the make and model of lens you purchased without any further details of the seller's identity and invite members to PM you should they be genuinely seeking assurance prior to making their own purchase.
09-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mike. I have bought " the last one " from an eBay seller here ( DcXpert ) and found that about 6 hours later they were selling that lens again. DcXpert is able to restock quickly as they have links to the Australian importer/distributor of Pentax and Sigma gear. Your seller may be selling your defective lens, or not, but because you had no problems returning it and getting your money back, the next buyer can too. Personally, I would not worry for the next buyer. You really only have an assumption that it is the same lens. And my assumption about young ( old ) bertwert taught me that my conclusions could be wrong !!!
09-25-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

With modern day online sales it is pretty much unrealistic to expect ethics. I've read similar reports before, that many stores just put the stuff they get back into a box and sell it to someone else, hoping that person will not bother returning it. Or they give it up on a special sale which coincidentally doesn't include full warranty

So if you find a store or a seller that you can trust, it is good to remember them

09-25-2016, 04:25 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I hate unethical conduct, but in this case I don't think you should act on your suspicions without complete knowledge of the facts.

What you could do is post the make and model of lens you purchased without any further details of the seller's identity and invite members to PM you should they be genuinely seeking assurance prior to making their own purchase.
I would contact the seller and tell them that you intend on listing their info and the facts including if you have it, a partial serial number as well, unless they either

1 agreed to sell the "different lens" to you at the old price or

2 take down the ad.

This way they get a sale or the bad one gets off the market

You did say you want the lens if it was different didn't you
09-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm afraid we live in a world of "buyer beware" and it's impossible for us to police it individually,galling though it is when you suspect unethical behaviour.
09-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

I would announce it as a potential buyer beware and list the serial number. That way if anyone buys this type of lens they can instantly test (before even mounting it to their camera) that they have a known, returned dud.

I would not announce it as an in-stone fact that they are selling used/faulty goods though. You can announce these things, imo, if you are careful with the wording.

This also brings me to why I'm super squeamish about buying lenses from a foreign dealer (Esp from Asia) as even if they allow returns, it is usually on your dime. And the shipping fees to that part of the world generally are rather hefty. Lenses, off the assembly line, (according to the lensrentals testing article) have a huge variance between 'good' and 'bad' copy. It makes more sense, to me, to just buy domestically from someone with a good return policy to mitigate this issue.

09-25-2016, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Your seller may be selling your defective lens, or not, but because you had no problems returning it and getting your money back, the next buyer can too. Personally, I would not worry for the next buyer. You really only have an assumption that it is the same lens.
+1. You really only have an assumption. You had no problems returning it and getting your money back. Be fair and do not accuse without definite proof. My 5 cents...
09-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, everyone - it's much appreciated

To be clear, my intention wouldn't be to shame the seller or be vindictive in any way, but merely to warn others.

It seems more than a coincidence that right after my lens arrived back with them, and my refund was received, one copy of the lens was suddenly back up for sale on eBay - despite being out of stock since I had bought mine. That said, I can't be certain this is the same lens, and since I have no reason to be personally dissatisfied with the seller (given the prompt refund), I'll err on the side of caution and let the matter rest.

I do know I won't be buying from that seller in future, though, despite their tempting prices!

Thanks again, folks
09-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
They are reselling it, in hope of a buyer who has no idea a lens could be decentered. Someone unaware will buy it and live with the idea the lens is like that by nature.

Today the competition is so fierce that having ethics is, sadly, commercial suicide. And it's not only the hungry hyenas in sales' fault but also the customers'.

If you don't mind the hassle, buy it again (and return it again, if it doesn't mean you loosing money). This way you will have an answer and, if there are miracles as some here with faith in humankind say, you will have the lens you want, hopefully.
09-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
If you don't mind the hassle, buy it again (and return it again, if it doesn't mean you loosing money). This way you will have an answer and, if there are miracles as some here with faith in humankind say, you will have the lens you want, hopefully.
I'd rather not go through the process again - I consider myself fortunate to have got my refund so promptly... I don't want to tempt fate.

We have a large camera show coming up in the middle of October and prices are always discounted at these events, so I think I'll wait until then to buy my next copy
09-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar experience w/ a major selller of used photo equipment (not internet/not an individual) where I returned a lens that was clearly defective (it was an AD-2 and one of the tabs on the mount was missing). They refunded money and paid shipping both ways, etc.; but it seemed like the same lens was promptly relisted, which gave me a very skewed feeling about them. Of course (hopefully) it was accidental and that was not the same lens. I think the best you can do is give them the benefit of the doubt--namely that it is not the same lens (but no I would not rebuy it!).
09-26-2016, 01:21 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I finally got a response from the seller. It *is* the same lens

Apparently, they were unable to find fault with it, saying: "we could not fault the item and didn't notice any drop off in the lens. have you had your sensor checked because sometimes you can get what is called forward/back focus issues."

Clearly not the most knowledgeable of staff...

Attached below are the examples I sent them showing the softness at the left of the image.
Attached Images