Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera for my Dad?

Dad needs a new camera. He's been using a Canon PowerShot, something like an SD 780IS. That's pretty old and it has a scratch on the lens. He asked me for advice several months ago, but hasn't bought anything. This is looking like a potential Christmas present.

His stated requirements: Small to very small, non-SLR, with some kind of viewfinder. He's 70, former engineer, uses camera for pictures of the grandkids, family, occasionally while in outdoors hunting. No experience doing any post-processing, don't know if he would be interested.

I'm coming from the viewpoint of a K3ii and a K-30. It's hard to wrap my head around buying something, even as a gift, with a teeny sensor and a soft superzoom.

I've considered various Panasonic Lumixes. The DMC-GM5 looks interesting. As do the LX100s. And the Sony RX100s. I want to keep the price in the $500 range.

My issue is reconciling my desire for image quality with his expectations and wishes. Thoughts?

10-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

take him to an electronics/camera store and let him handle the various models and pick the one that feels right....
10-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Fuji? Maybe the X30?

I have a Fuji X20, and think it's a great walk-around camera, also a Panasonic LX100, which produces superb results (better than the Fuji in low light) but needs more input to get the best out of it, which is probably why it's pitched as a 'photographers camera'?
10-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
take him to an electronics/camera store and let him handle the various models and pick the one that feels right....
Yea... maybe. Our local options are pretty limited: BestBuy, Target, WalMart.

And he'll gravitate towards cheapest that meets his minimum requirements.

Also, he might push back on the whole idea of us getting him this as a gift.

10-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Dad needs a new camera. He's been using a Canon PowerShot, something like an SD 780IS. That's pretty old and it has a scratch on the lens. He asked me for advice several months ago, but hasn't bought anything. This is looking like a potential Christmas present.

His stated requirements: Small to very small, non-SLR, with some kind of viewfinder. He's 70, former engineer, uses camera for pictures of the grandkids, family, occasionally while in outdoors hunting. No experience doing any post-processing, don't know if he would be interested.

I'm coming from the viewpoint of a K3ii and a K-30. It's hard to wrap my head around buying something, even as a gift, with a teeny sensor and a soft superzoom.

I've considered various Panasonic Lumixes. The DMC-GM5 looks interesting. As do the LX100s. And the Sony RX100s. I want to keep the price in the $500 range.

My issue is reconciling my desire for image quality with his expectations and wishes. Thoughts?
This might help. I am a former Canon guy now a Pentaxian. I helped my brother with his photography journey. He mainly takes pictures for vacation and my two little nieces. He started out with a Canon Rebel then moved to a Canon 40D. I gave him my K5IIs with a few lenses. He loved the Pentax much better than the Canon for its image quality and ease of use. However, he wanted to also do occasional video and the Pentax did not offer autofocus for video at the time. Manual focusing video was a pain and he was frustrated with it. Finally I broke ranks and I got him the Sony A6000 with a couple of kit lenses (16-50 and the 55-200). He loves the Sony for its compactness, autofocus in video and image quality. The switch to Sony happened last year. I asked him recently if he is still happy with the Sony, his response was that it is the best camera he has shot with.

I wish Ricoh GR had a zoom lens option. I would have gotten that for him in a heart beat. Other than the Q, Pentax's offerings are all full size DSLR bodies which despite their compactness compared to the competition are still full size cameras with full size lenses. I guess there is gap in the Pentax offering which is the lack of compact (mirrorless) system with APSc or bigger sensor size cameras. I am afraid if you really want a compact camera system, you might have to look at other brands.
10-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Panasonic and Fuji make some really nice bridge cameras. Good zoom capacity, and have options for more manual control over parameters should they ever need. I know a few people who know how to make the most of these cameras and their scene modes. They're compact, have an OVF or hybrid, and are more than enough for most people. The Nikon Coolpix are well-liked by users, too. Plus they have some fun colors.

Sony Alphas as mentioned above are in that range too, if he would prefer and ILC.

My Father-in-Law was in that market about 10 years ago. We went to a Best Buy and he played with a few cameras, settling on a Canon which had big enough buttons for him to manipulate, a great zoom function and he was very happy. I think that was a Canon Powershot 590. He did well with it, he had a pretty good eye.
10-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Pentax X5. It is a great little bridge camera with a nice set of features. It can't hang with a dslr when it comes to large prints. It has an EVF and a 3" articulating screen. Sounds like it may be a perfect fit.

10-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If he is familiar with a Canon PowerShot camera . . .
Buy him another one. No sin there. I own two and like them. . .
I would prefer, if you are generous, a K-1
Edit: I would like to receive a K-1 Not that your father want's what I want.

Last edited by aoeu; 10-24-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: To be clear
10-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Every time this topic comes up, I give the same answer. I'll just paste a link to the last one. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/304940-ks2-vs-k5...ml#post3388820

(short version: don't confuse what dad needs with what you think he should need. Get the man a nice, easy to use camera that will do what he needs without a steep learning curve. Really - get something your dad will enjoy using, not something you think he should enjoy using. It's not about you, it's about him. You'll both be happier with the result if you just get him a nice bridge camera.)
10-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Every time this topic comes up, I give the same answer. I'll just paste a link to the last one. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/304940-ks2-vs-k5...ml#post3388820

(short version: don't confuse what dad needs with what you think he should need. Get the man a nice, easy to use camera that will do what he needs without a steep learning curve. Really - get something your dad will enjoy using, not something you think he should enjoy using. It's not about you, it's about him. You'll both be happier with the result if you just get him a nice bridge camera.)
That's really the fundamental conflict here. He's reasonably happy with a tiny little Canon Elph with a sensor more-or-less out of a cell phone. He'd probably be happy with the same camera he has, minus the scratch on the front element. But they don't make those new any more; the last tiny Canon with a viewfinder was 2009.

As much as I'd like him to start processing RAW and using manual settings, he's probably going to use Auto mode jpgs almost all the time.

But the bridge camera... may be a bridge too far since one of his few hard requirements was "I don't want an SLR". So it's probably a compact. And maybe one with a fixed superzoom.
10-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon G series

I've had the Canon G-12 for years as a pocketable camera, and like it a lot, and it has many of the features of a full-size SLR, or of course can be used as a point-and-shoot on green mode. I think Canon is up to about G-16 now, but I have spotted lots of eBay cameras in Excellent or new condition.
10-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
If he is familiar with a Canon PowerShot camera . . .
Buy him another one. No sin there. I own two and like them. . ..
Gotta agree with quoted post. My Dad is 94 today, still drives, votes, does yard work, but.....struggles to operate the TV remote, the new electronic oven, anything tech. So although I totally relate with you wanting to get him something "better", from my experience, he wonʻt use it or may get frustrated with anything other than auto modes.

If he has a Canon Powershot A710 (7 MP) or the SD700 (6 MP) are both 10 years old now and typically had a 6x zoom.

The Canon Powershot SX720 is well within your budget with 20MP and a 40x optical zoom, but is small and compact and the interface should be similar for him.

Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Digital Camera 1070C001 B&H Photo Video

As his old camera is silver, he may like the looks of the Nikon Coolpix A900 also 20MP with a 35x optical zoom.

Nikon COOLPIX A900 Digital Camera (Silver) 26505 B&H Photo Video

And optically, Iʻd go with the Sony DSC HX90V with 18MP and the Zeiss 30x zoom.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Digital Camera DSCHX90V/B B&H Photo

There are Lumix that are better, but at least $200 over your budget and Iʻd say they with Sony are better with video.
10-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's really the fundamental conflict here. He's reasonably happy with a tiny little Canon Elph with a sensor more-or-less out of a cell phone. He'd probably be happy with the same camera he has, minus the scratch on the front element. But they don't make those new any more; the last tiny Canon with a viewfinder was 2009.

As much as I'd like him to start processing RAW and using manual settings, he's probably going to use Auto mode jpgs almost all the time.

But the bridge camera... may be a bridge too far since one of his few hard requirements was "I don't want an SLR". So it's probably a compact. And maybe one with a fixed superzoom.
You could get him a WG-[number] if he's going to be rough on it. Those are pretty user-friendly and tough as nails.

The more extreme superzooms might be overrated. It's pretty hard to handhold a long telephoto on a big heavy camera where the weight helps keep it stable, let alone on a tiny compact, and I imagine he's not going to want to screw around with a tripod, either.

But if the viewfinder is important: Compact digital cameras with a viewfinder
The panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 looks pretty decent. It even does RAW so when he gets a good shot and wants help making it even better, you can help
10-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #14

If he's looking for a viewfinder then you need to look at bridge cameras. They may be bigger than he would like though. Ricoh has the Pentax XG-1 which is under $500. Do a web search on "bridge cameras".
10-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

My dad is around the same age.. several years ago he got the idea he wanted a DSLR badly (since he saw what I was doing with mine) for a Christmas gift. 600 dollars and several months later it was still in the box (where it continues to languish, depreciating in value). After questioning him about it, he admitted it was too intimidating and confusing to use. He went back to using his cheapo point and shoot.

Make sure you know your dad's both wants and needs in a camera. Our eyes can be larger than our stomachs at the buffet.

(Look at a Powershot G16 -- it seems to have an optical viewfinder but it is non-SLR design yet has basic scenes modes)