Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #1

"Powerful Shadows" (Round 2)
Lens: Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Camera: Olympus E-3 

Eye of the vanquished villain or night at the movies?

Theme: My goal was to capture the power of the movies. I wanted to work within the constraints of a reflection in the eye lit only by the screen. Powerful shadows, beyond being a perfect description of Bond from the villain's viewpoint, speaks to me of the real emotions stirred within us when we experience themes such as love and fear at the movies. The story comes alive--not on the screen--but in our minds as we sit in the shadows.

Getting the Shot: First, this is not a composite picture, it's a reflection. It's a selfie. I have a fully articulated screen that I used to frame and focus. I set my chin on a small trash can to keep it still. I tried video reflections at IMDB, but it wasn't bright enough (or sharp enough) for my shutter speeds, so I settled on a reflected picture of 007 down the barrel of a gun as a classic tableau of the movies. This also served to minimize the square edges of my computer screen. After hundreds of tries (and learning how to move opposite my image on my LCD) I finally got the focus distance and reflection in the right place. I had to look at a certain part of the screen for the reflection to approach the center of my eye. Processing for color was done in Lightroom 5. The red accent "blood" was done in PaintShopPro.

I hope you like it & have fun at the movies.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-3  Photo 
06-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

That is a really well done shot, and amazing fortitude to get the picture as well as you did. I, unfortunately, think that the "blood" detracts from the overall image as the blue with the reflection I think would have popped more without it. That said, I would vote for this based on the shot itself.
06-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks tkj,
The blood was in the original picture, but it rendered black in the reflection. I have a version without the red and I didn't think it looked quite right dripping black. Thanks for looking and commenting.
Best,
Seth
06-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

Oh, I see! That makes all the difference. dripping black would have been a bit odd.

06-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow some thought and effort has gone into this I like it very much.
07-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Voted