Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 09:05 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Concrete Art (Theme: Wet Shapes. Round 2 K-3 comp)
Lens: DA*55 Camera: K-5 

My image is of the wet car park of my local variety store just after a downpour. It is at once a picture of the concrete and the shops reflected in the water and I like the duality of perspective this offers. I feel that the interplay between the flat surface of both the image plane and the concrete, along with the little windows into the other world of the reflections, offers a visual comment about art and the existential at the same time. I have renamed the work as Concrete Art, a jokey play on words. (Google "Concrete Art" if you don't get the joke)

Steve

Last edited by bossa; 07-09-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Changed the title
07-06-2014, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
i like it..
07-07-2014, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Thankyou Steve for your input to your picture. It's interesting how an artist feels about his own work! Also for the encouregment to express how we see your work. I like the lightness this picture creates with the reflections and smooth colours blending lightly together leaving an illusion of peacefulness.
07-10-2014, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

yes
YES
YES!!!
Sublime & voted!
I loved it before I read your description and
that simply delighted me~Warhol is smiling!

07-11-2014, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #5

This is probably the only photo in this collection that I can think of as pure art, not technic, adventure, challenge, etc. Creation of such photo needs nothing but a deep artistic vision.
07-12-2014, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Photos: Albums
This gets my vote for this round as being a great interpretation of two worse and both a photograph and art at it's purest level - nothing contrived just a beautiful softly pleasing composition.

---------- Post added 07-12-14 at 02:51 PM ----------

Should say "two words" but autocorrect is a beach!
07-12-2014, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #7

True art....excellent!

07-12-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Very "Impressionist"
07-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind words.
07-20-2014, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My image is of the wet car park of my local variety store just after a downpour. It is at once a picture of the concrete and the shops reflected in the water and I like the duality of perspective this offers. I feel that the interplay between the flat surface of both the image plane and the concrete, along with the little windows into the other world of the reflections, offers a visual comment about art and the existential at the same time. I have renamed the work as Concrete Art, a jokey play on words. (Google "Concrete Art" if you don't get the joke)

Steve

I do not understand what could differ photo from pictorial art, yet it is disturbing when a photo looks like a preconception of "real art".

In this picture, however, the straitforward concrete approach is taking that objection out by returning the impression to it's own factual reality.

I like that move.
07-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the interesting comment Bromid.

A 3d representation on a flat surface is always a trick of perception anyway. In this image, I have tried to explore the balance of compositional elements in such a way as to allow the equal presence of both the iconography (delineations etc) and the real-world space (deeper reflections v flat surface). The resulting ambiguity offers an opportunity to try and "make sense" of the image and thus also a means to inwardly observe ourselves and how we overlay values, expectations and perceptions onto both the world and art generally.

One can look at this image another way though. It is really not much different to a picture of a misty landscape where thin patches of that mist allow seeing through it to trees and signage in the background. In this case the mist is replaced by wet concrete, the background with the paint marks and reflections.

Cheers
bossa