Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dedicated macro flash unit.
Posted By: Yos, 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM

As with most things is you get what you paid for.
Anyone here has any experience with these flashes?

Dorr Ultra 80 LED Ring Light Flash Unit - Flash Units - Flash Units - Dorrfoto
or
Dorr Combi TTL Flash Unit for Pentax and Samsung - Flash Units - Flash Units - Dorrfoto

Or should I just try to master my cheap Godox flash?
Or save up money to buy the Pentax AF 160 FC?
As you can guess my knowledge and experience with flashes is not that good.
Will I benefit in a great deal to have a ring flash instead of a normal flash?

Cheers
Yos
Views: 2,498
10-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I would try mastering what you have and save for Pentax 540 or Metz 58. Get creative with different attachments and when you have the 540 the godox then can be used as a second slave flash. I have a ring flash and I do not like the end result ..to harsh. Also I like putting a big floppy half inflated diffuser on my flash.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 10-30-2014 at 04:20 AM.
10-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sunpak DX-8R that I picked up for less than 50 bucks. I get great results with it. If you shoot a lot of macro, then a ring flash is the way to go.
10-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

I have the AF 160 FC. It is the best for ease of use, run and gun macro in the field. Don't take my word for it, check out this review by a very talented expert (one of our own here on PF):

The best Pentax macro flash by a mile, the Pentax AF160FC ringflash

That being said, it can produce flat/boring lighting compared to complicated setups using multiple flashes, diffusers and all that. But 19 times out of 20 when I'm heading out to shoot macro, I put on the 160 and leave the other stuff behind (it's just not worth the hassle for the gain in drama much of the time). But if you are a methodical tripod shooter of stationary subjects you may find the latter more rewarding using one or more AF 540s.

10-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Godox sells an amazingly cheap manual ringflash (not LED). $100 region. I have a pair of their big flashes and they are brilliant. I can't say I have ever used the auto settings on my sigma 'ring' (actually dual) flash. I feel macro needs the photographer to take control of the settings. The Godox is setup for manual so there is never any messing around with menus. By the way the LED lights are almost useless other than fill light.

"Or should I just try to master my cheap Godox flash?"

Which flash are you talking about?
mastering ring flash manually is easy
1. whack on your lens and flash
2. set a manual aperture
3. Guess the power (usually between 1/4 and 1/16)
4. do a test shot
5. Modify the power

'Will I benefit in a great deal to have a ring flash instead of a normal flash?"
Ring flash is only useful if the subject is arms length or closer

If you have the big godox keep working away with it for normal
Again set you camera for manual of X. Set your aperture you want and make adjustments to the power on the flash. The big Godox is great for bouncing the light off surfaces. I use a small or large lightbox on the flash when using directly

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 10-29-2014 at 10:24 PM.
10-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several points about ring flashes from my experience.
1. I purchased a Bower ring light some time ago, very inexpensive and has one nice feature, a tripod thread on the ring. However, it is either thyrister auto (not reliable) or manual, but the output is not manually adjustable which so manual exposure control is difficult, unsatisfactory. The tiny, feeble tabs that hold the battery door closed broke within two months, so the the door does not stay in place unless taped shut. BEWARE if the "Dorrfoto" ring flash is a rebranded version of the Bower unit, which I believe is sold under several names (Vivitar for one)
2. I had a Pentax Af 160 for a short time, eventually returning it for a refund because it does not work with A-series manual focus lenses, and four of five macro lenses I own are manual focus.* The design of the battery door in the Pentax is very similar to that on the Bower, and I would be very apprehensive about the durability of the tiny lock-on tabs.
3. I also had a Metz ring flash for a very short time. Extremely light & compact, just the ring, nothing that goes into the hotshoe, operated by two AAA batteries. Basically the PTTL operates via the pop-up flash. It also has a reasonable range of manual adjustments, and right-left half-ring balanced output. The flat ring is MUCH easier to stash in a gadget bag than almost any flash. BUT, as with the Pentax unit, it will not work with an A-series manual focus lens, so I returned it for a refund.
4. I have a Sunpak DX-8R flash, same mentioned in another post. It must be used on manual exposure, but it can be adjusted down to 1/16 power. If purchased used, it will function on a Pentax in manual with any dedicated hotshoe module attached (Pentax, Minolta, Canon, etc. etc.) Mine has a Nikon module. It is my ring light of choice, BUT, if you have an autofocus macro lens, either the Pentax AF160 or the Metz will be more convenient, at four to five times the price.

*The flash compatibility chart in both the K5 and K3 manuals indicate that PTTL will function with an A-series lens if the aperture ring is locked at "A." FALSE. Neither camera provides PTTL with a capable flash and an A-series lens. However, a K20D DOES provide auto exposure with a PTTL capable flash and an A-series lens.
10-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Several points about ring flashes from my experience.
1. I purchased a Bower ring light some time ago, very inexpensive and has one nice feature, a tripod thread on the ring. However, it is either thyrister auto (not reliable) or manual, but the output is not manually adjustable which so manual exposure control is difficult, unsatisfactory. The tiny, feeble tabs that hold the battery door closed broke within two months, so the the door does not stay in place unless taped shut. BEWARE if the "Dorrfoto" ring flash is a rebranded version of the Bower unit, which I believe is sold under several names (Vivitar for one)
2. I had a Pentax Af 160 for a short time, eventually returning it for a refund because it does not work with A-series manual focus lenses, and four of five macro lenses I own are manual focus.* The design of the battery door in the Pentax is very similar to that on the Bower, and I would be very apprehensive about the durability of the tiny lock-on tabs.
3. I also had a Metz ring flash for a very short time. Extremely light & compact, just the ring, nothing that goes into the hotshoe, operated by two AAA batteries. Basically the PTTL operates via the pop-up flash. It also has a reasonable range of manual adjustments, and right-left half-ring balanced output. The flat ring is MUCH easier to stash in a gadget bag than almost any flash. BUT, as with the Pentax unit, it will not work with an A-series manual focus lens, so I returned it for a refund.
4. I have a Sunpak DX-8R flash, same mentioned in another post. It must be used on manual exposure, but it can be adjusted down to 1/16 power. If purchased used, it will function on a Pentax in manual with any dedicated hotshoe module attached (Pentax, Minolta, Canon, etc. etc.) Mine has a Nikon module. It is my ring light of choice, BUT, if you have an autofocus macro lens, either the Pentax AF160 or the Metz will be more convenient, at four to five times the price.

*The flash compatibility chart in both the K5 and K3 manuals indicate that PTTL will function with an A-series lens if the aperture ring is locked at "A." FALSE. Neither camera provides PTTL with a capable flash and an A-series lens. However, a K20D DOES provide auto exposure with a PTTL capable flash and an A-series lens.

I use a Nikon module on my Sunpak also. But I do use it in auto mode even with a manual lens. It has a sensor that controls the light. But as you say it does work better using it in manual and use the power adjustment.

10-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Yos
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback guys! And thanks for the link sinjin!
Looks like I will be saving up for a Pentax AF160 FC as I have two autofocus macro lenses.
(DFA 100mm WR and FA 50mm)
I have no experience with ringflashes and it might be a good idea to buy the "best" instead of going the middle road.
Think it will bring my macro shoots to a whole different level.
Cheers
Josef
10-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flash compatibility chart in both the K5 and K3 manuals indicate that PTTL will function with an A-series lens if the aperture ring is locked at "A." FALSE. Neither camera provides PTTL with a capable flash and an A-series lens.
Respectfully, must say I disagree. My own testing with an A series* lens proves that the AF160FC can indeed work very well in P-TTL mode with an A series lens.

* Lenses tested - SMCP-A 50mm f/1.7 and SMCP-A*200mm f/4 ED MACRO.
10-31-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Respectfully, must say I disagree. My own testing with an A series* lens proves that the AF160FC can indeed work very well in P-TTL mode with an A series lens.

* Lenses tested - SMCP-A 50mm f/1.7 and SMCP-A*200mm f/4 ED MACRO.
But - Which camera body? My tests with three Pentax bodies indicates PTTL does work and a K20D + PTTL capable flash + any A-series lens tried; but NO PTTL with any combination flash + A-series lens on either a K5 or K3. Also, Ricoh-Pentax in personal communication stated that the AF360 WILL NOT provide PTTL with any A-series lens despite that fact that the flash compatibility chart in both K5 & K3 instruction manuals indicate that it will. BTW: It was my impression that the technician at Ricoh-Pentax simply looked up the lens-function chart that comes with the AF360 flash, and that chart does not indicate PTTL function with an A-series lens. You & I have been through this discussion, but you are using a K5II, and there is the possibility that there is something different in the firmware. I no longer have the AF360, but I will experiment again with both bodies, different A-series lenses and the several PTTL capable flash units I have.
10-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Does anyone remember the spider guy??? There was a posted link to his stuff - he really knew his spiders, forget if he had academic training or not. But he used really modest equipment and his macro was a 50 lens turned backwards and held on by an adapter, or some such arrangement. He had a regular flash, i'm thinking manual, and had made a jury-rigged tube to get the light from the flash down to the spider - doubt that it was a ring flash. Anyway, he produced these marvelous spider pics and there was even a you tube video that showed his technique. Took lots of pictures to get one good one. Anyway, his spider pictures were the rage for awhile.

I think it may be Thomas Shahan.

Uses a Pentax camera BTW and got on NG. A Pentax K200D and homemade flash diffuser. Looks like some sort of bracket to get the flash some reach into the spider area - no ring flash

Last edited by philbaum; 10-31-2014 at 04:53 PM.
10-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which camera body?

Pentax K10D, Pentax K7, Pentax K5IIs, Pentax K3.
10-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax K10D, Pentax K7, Pentax K5IIs, Pentax K3.
Digitalis: If you haven't seen it, look at the last post on the "AF160fc problem" - - posted by manntax. Apparently whoever he contacted at Ricoh-Pentax agrees that there is a compatibility problem, but whether in flash or camera body is unclear. If there is a quick fix at least for the AF160, too late for me as I have returned the one I purchased and the refund has been finalized.
10-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF160FC P-TTL compatibility issue seems to only affect the K01 when it is used with A series lenses. I have only had one problem with my AF160FC - on my K7 it had a habit of firing only at full power once and then it would cease to fire, a firmware update to the camera fixed that issue. I haven't had a problem with it since.
11-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
Yos
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to hear Digitalis.
And thanks for the video link philbaum.
If the weather permits I will bring my flash out for a shooting today and see if I can get some good result with it.