Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 10:45 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my final macro set-up for snowflakes ...

After a bit of trial and error, I've finally decided on my final set-up for snowflake photography. These images were taken using my Pentax K5 with a reversed Nikkor 50mm enlarger lens, 36mm extension tube, and a 1.4x Sigma teleconverter. This combination seems to give me a good degree of magnification, and enough light transmission in my camera's viewfinder to be able to focus.

All the pics are handheld and no flash used. I post-processed the RAW images using ACR , added slight detail using Topaz Detail, and cropped with PSE 9.

Last edited by zman; 01-21-2017 at 06:47 AM.
01-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are amazing! I'd say you have the perfect setup for these!
01-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow... you should keep experimenting with these! Do you get snow a lot?
01-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice! Though I'm curious why you're trying to do this handheld? I'm amazed you're nailing the focus
at all but can't help think you're also getting a lot of missed shots as well. A fixed mount might also help
you to get a consistent flat field.

What is the scale on these crystals?

I assume you're familiar with the work of W. A. Bentley?

01-25-2015, 11:31 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots.

If you want to take it to another level try lighting the snowflakes from below, Gives a whole different look, for example:

For a discussion on my, and other people's, setup take a look at this thread;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/280863-beautiful-...ke-images.html
01-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good photos you got there! The hardest thing when I tried this kind of photography was focusing and getting enough light on the snowflake - without mangling and melting it!

But I am wondering.. the nikkor is an enlarger lens, does it make sense to reverse it? I have no experience with enlarger lenses
01-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

Well done!
I agree with tvdtvdtvd, handheld wow, but what could you crank out with a "fixed" setup (tripod or beanbag). Also, would challenge you trying different lighting and color/multi colors.

01-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Results handheld and without flash are already impressive!
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Nice shots.

If you want to take it to another level try lighting the snowflakes from below, Gives a whole different look, for example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/280863-beautiful-...ke-images.html
great!
01-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
wow... you should keep experimenting with these! Do you get snow a lot?
I live in Buffalo, NY - lack of snow is never a worry.

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Very nice! Though I'm curious why you're trying to do this handheld? I'm amazed you're nailing the focus
at all but can't help think you're also getting a lot of missed shots as well. A fixed mount might also help
you to get a consistent flat field.

What is the scale on these crystals?

I assume you're familiar with the work of W. A. Bentley?
I tried a tripod, but the depth of field is too thin for me to make the finite adjustments. I just gently rock back and forth to settle into focus. The snowflakes are usually about 2-4mm diameter. I am familiar with Bentley, but a Canadian photographers work, Don Komarechka, is what gave me the interest to try.

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Nice shots.

That's my eventual goal. I've researched it a bit and found the set-up intimidating for me. I'm hoping to give it a go next winter. Your snowflake image is amazing !

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Good photos you got there! The hardest thing when I tried this kind of photography was focusing and getting enough light on the snowflake - without mangling and melting it!

But I am wondering.. the nikkor is an enlarger lens, does it make sense to reverse it? I have no experience with enlarger lenses
One of our PF members, Nass, created a website for Macro Photography and I got the idea from there. I use his site as a frequent reference tool for all my macro concerns. Check it out at Extreme Macro Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Those are amazing! I'd say you have the perfect setup for these!
Thanks for all the encouraging words.
02-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

amazing shots. Great job