Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

pentax autobellows, slides, what film?

hi, i hope this question is in right place!
i have some pentax autobellows and slide copier , so i can copy 35mm slide to 35 mm slide
does anyone know what film i use? is there a special slide film made for copying, or do i just use a normal slide film? fast or slow speed?
any help appreciated!!

11-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't want to digitize your slides, correct? Your film options are a lot more limited these days and the film you get is likely to have different colour rendering than what the original did. You want slower film for finer grains, once upon a time you could get ISO 25 slide film, but as far as I know, Fuji's slowest Velvia slide film is ISO 50. You want a full-spectrum light source with a "daylight" colour temperature with consistent intensity so once you have the right exposure, you don't have to change anything. Are you really sure you want to copy slides to slides, instead of digitizing them?
11-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak used to have some duplicating film that was not as contrasty as normal slide films, doubt it is still available
Slower speed film will be finer grain, as mentioned above,

The bigger issue is matching the film type or filtering for your light source.
Depending on what you are using to illuminate the slide you are copying, you need to match your film to it,
If a tungsten light source, you need a tungsten balanced film ( usually a "T" in the name, used to be an Ektachrome 160T, not sure if it's still around)
Otherwise, if using a daylight balanced film with tungsten light, you will need a cooling filter in your set up somewhere, 80A or 80B depending on your light source.

If using a flash or clear sky to illuminate your original slide, you should be all right with daylight balanced film, unless you are doing critical copy work, or trying to correct out shifted colors in the original.
It's going to take some testing and experimenting with your gear and the original slides to get good copies. If you only need to do a few, i would look around for a commercial lab that is set up to do it,
The cost of having them do a few, once, will be less than all the testing and fussing needed to get your set up running.

Alternately you could get a color scanner, or have a lab digitize the originals, then correct out color and other issues from the originals, and have digital files to print from.

As RGlasel asks,
What is it you really want to do?
What is your final output intended to be?
11-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Back in the 1970's, when I was part of a "multi-media" company, I copied slides by the hundreds. Kodak had a special "Low Contrast Transparency Copy Film" that we used to buy in 100 foot rolls. That stuff was great, because it was tungsten balanced, and would minimize the build-up of blown out highlights and lost shadows that normally resulted from a copied image. I did experiment with Kodachrome 25 and Fuji stock using a technique where you double exposed the frame, first using a very short exposure of just the white backlight, then the slide to be copied. That would lower the contrast on the copied slide, but you had to be very good at recording exposures to get the best repeatable results without losing d-max. Needless to say, digitizing is tons easier, and I would never go back. I'm curious why you want transparencies. Projection is really the only reason left, and with big flat screen TVs and video projectors getting so good, that has pretty much fallen by the wayside as well.

11-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
used to be an Ektachrome 160T, not sure if it's still around)
The only Ektachrome left for sale is from hoarders, the company that still produces and markets Kodak film doesn't do slide film. The only slide film I can find for sale these days is Fujichrome Velvia, which gives different colours than Ektachrome did.
11-30-2015, 02:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks very, very much for all the replies, what a brilliant forum and the help is much appreciated

OK, yes its odd copying to film! i am helping a PhD student create an artwork with analogue slides and projector, we have the projector and timer and the idea is she wants to duplicate images as the carousel turns. we only older transparencies, mainly kodachrome, but only one of each.

Easy in Powerpoint and data projector but it wont have the same feel or intention with the work

i have the pentax autobellows, slide copier and an old K1000 so was going to try and copy some. Quality and exact colour balance isnt so critical, most of the images are of landscape with blue / blue grey skies, we just need 3 or 4 of each that look and project in a similar manner.

i have looked into a lab doing them and its very expensive, even if you order quite a few copies,.
There is very little info out there, if i search copy 35mm to 35mm theres lots on analogue to digital but very little (nothing, almost) about copying analogue to analogue

so thanks for all help, im guessing its just about experimenting, If i use velvia 50 and shoot against bright sky i would this be the best bet?
cheers again