Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More bugs only their mother could love
Posted By: csa, 08-28-2016, 06:26 AM

Here's some that are tiny, and you have no idea the detail they possess. Rather scary when seen in Macro!

I believe the spider is a little jumping spider. Have no idea on the others. BTW, no bugs harmed that I photographed!

K3, Sigma 105 Macro; all hand held.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by csa; 08-28-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Views: 1,139
08-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Here's some that are tiny, and you have no idea the detail they possess. Rather scary when seen in Macro!

I believe the spider is a little jumping spider. Have no idea on the others. BTW, no bugs harmed that I photographed!

K3, Sigma 105 Macro; all hand held.
Nice shots! I really like the little jumping spider. They are a lot harder to get than this one I just found in my back yard.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed, those little spiders are so fast, and rarely stay still. Good thing no one sees me chasing them around to photograph them!

That's a very cool photo of your spider, I really like how some of the net is showing.
08-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I needed a macro lens for this one, it was really tiny. Got it with DA 35 macro Limited. It was a difficult shot since the wind bounced it in and out of focus in its web.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Really beautiful coloring on that one!
08-29-2016, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more from this morning. Macro shooting is giving me a new appreciation of all the different bugs; whereas before macro shooting, I simply didn't realize how detailed each is!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wonderful! I love jumping spiders, they are the neatest little guys, and friendly too! That is a great shot of one.

I once had a little jumping spider buddy...great little guy...'til he died in a window opening accident.

I used to do a lot of Macro shots...and somehow just stopped. It is great fun and so very interesting....hope lots of people add to this thread, always such amazing shots and subjects!

A few of my favorites...

Tough enough to eat nails!

Grabbing a free ride?

Mama has babies...and lots of them!

Look but don't touch!

Dragonflies can spin these heads like helicopter blades!

A dime would cover this entire image...

Some very green..

Gotta go! ....Lunch about to be served!

Fun stuff that Macro shooting!

Regards!

08-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wonderful! I love jumping spiders, they are the neatest little guys, and friendly too! That is a great shot of one.

I once had a little jumping spider buddy...great little guy...'til he died in a window opening accident.

I used to do a lot of Macro shots...and somehow just stopped. It is great fun and so very interesting....hope lots of people add to this thread, always such amazing shots and subjects!

A few of my favorites...

Grabbing a free ride?

Look but don't touch!

Some very green..

Regards!
Looks Like I also interrupted lunch while out photographing spiders. I never associated spiders with being colorful but the two I found in me yard certainly were. Carol & Rupert, Really nice shots from both of you. Actually Dragonflies are one of my favorite subjects.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Looks Like I also interrupted lunch while out photographing spiders.
Those are some really neat shots! Love them both. Dragonflies are amazing critters!

Regards!
08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

A few of my favorites...

Grabbing a free ride?

Look but don't touch!

Some very green..

Regards!
Rupert: How big was that wolf spider with all of the babies on her back? Some of them can get scary big. The green spider I posted earlier was so small its full leg span would not cover a dime.
08-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Rupert: How big was that wolf spider with all of the babies on her back? Some of them can get scary big.
She lives in my shop...has babies once or twice a year. She is about 2 inches long in body length alone....pretty good size, but just a big ol' friendly girl.

If you touch her gently all the babies run off her back and scatter like a covey of quail. In a few minutes every last one returns to her back. Neat stuff!

Here she is with her ball full of babies yet to be on her back.....

I love spiders! So fascinating!

Another interesting creature, pretty rare nowadays....

Texas Horned Lizard

They spit blood out their eyes...really!
Texas horned lizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards!
08-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

She is about 2 inches long in body length alone....pretty good size, but just a big ol' friendly girl.
OMG!!! That is scary big. I did some quick mental math here and that spider must have a leg span of 4 inches. The Black & Yellow Argiope spider I posted here is about an inch in body length and about 2 inches leg span, as big as they get up here. At least this one is not going to give me an arachnophobic shock in my house since this one is content to sit in its web in the wooded part of my yard out of the way of everything and everyone. I did a little experiment using this spider and photographed it with my main lenses, DA 35 macro, DA 40 and DA 70 Limiteds, DFA 100 WR, DA 17-70. and HD DA 55-300. No surprise which lens was the sharpest, the DFA 100 Macro WR but the runner up was a surprise, The DA 40 Limited. To be fair I could have come in closer in the macro range with the DA 35 macro but I probably would have scared the spider of its web and abandoning it. My priority was not to disturb it.
By the way I really like the shots of the Texas Horned Lizard. I remember in my youth pet stores sometimes sold them as pets and I always wanted one, but never got it. Glad to see them in their proper environment. I wish we had them, or any lizard for that matter here in Delaware.

Last edited by jddwoods; 08-30-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: correct typo
08-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

OMG!!! That is scary big. I did some quick mental math here and that spider must have a leg span of 4 inches.
Yep, that's about right on the size. I have moved her around many times, she is not at all hostile....unless she has babies to protect.....I don't push my luck!

Mrs Rupert does not share my affection for spiders...not even their shadows..

They get her broom if shes sees them.

Regards!