Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-S2 Unboxing

. . . or rather just unboxed. I considered doing an unboxing video, but there's nothing new to say, really. The typical items are included -- body, the new 18-50 lens with a pinch front cap and a push-on rear cap (no hood or pouch), strap (no special design), battery and charger, hard-copy start-up guide only, not the full operating manual, which is referenced as a .pdf :-(, Silkypix v.5 s/w CD. Composition adjustment is not in the menus; clarity enhancement is a new menu item. The menu is a bit more zippy on screen. The camera feels robust but small in-hand. As between this, K-3, and K-30, K-30 still has the best grip for me. Articulating screen seems solid enough, but it nudges a little too close to the flash-icon four-way, unless of course the screen is opened to the left. It's entirely possible that I will put a for sale tag on that 18-50 soon since I plan to use this body with the Limiteds. I have no opportunity for sample pics at the moment but will add something later.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 

Last edited by Marktax; 03-03-2015 at 07:02 AM.
03-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"K-S1 Unboxing"? It looks like a K-S2 to me...
03-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"K-S1 Unboxing"? It looks like a K-S2 to me...
yes, K-S2.
03-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well... sample pictures... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very cool! Love the white. I'll be waiting impatiently to see pictures taken with that camera and the new collapsible lens, too.
03-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
or rather just unboxed.
You really need to work on your un-boxing photo technique ...
It's conventional to include (at least!) 30 images in a camera un-boxing, including:

- if bought online, a picture of the parcel as it arrived on your door-step;
- several images of parcel being opened on a dining table (or messy computer desk with a cat sitting on it), with appropriate commentary about delivery delays or problems, the packaging, any damage to the parcel;
- 6 photos of the externals of the camera box, showing all sides of the box;
- 3 or 4 photos of the top of the box being opened, then the contents being gradually removed and un-wrapped;
- one photo of all the items in the box laid out flat on a table;
- 6 photos of the camera body (top/bottom, rear/front, left/right);
- multiple detail shots of camera features, inc: 4 shots of the rear LCD being opened/ shut/ pivoted, a shot of the battery door opened, one of the label on the camera bottom, etc;
- 3 images of the included lens;
- individual close up shots of the other inclusions in the box, including the camera strap, battery charger, manual, the software CD, any cables that came in the box, any warranty card etc etc. (Probably about 8 images there, at least).
- several pictures of the camera strap being attached;
- 3 pictures covering the battery charger being plugged in, the battery being charged, then the charged battery being installed in the camera;
- several pictures of a SD card being installed in the camera, highlighting the brand and specification of the card you used;
- 2 pictures of the lens being mounted on the camera body;
- 3 pictures of the now complete, ready-to-go camera.

03-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Please take some pictures out from the camera with the kit lens...

03-03-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope it's worth, because I also want to buy one .
03-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the shutter sound like?
03-03-2015, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What's the shutter sound like?
Not as quiet as K-3, that's for sure. But not as loud as my K-30, either. Closer to the K-30 sound. I'm not sure how the K-50 compared to the K-30 but I think they were exactly the same mechanism in that respect. Dust removal on K-S2 is also of the K-30's vibration type, not as in the K-3, which is silent and does not vibrate the body at all. K-S2 dust removal is louder and the body noticeably vibrates. I don't find this a problem for my uses, just letting people know.

Zoom ring being at the front of the kit lens is owing to the collapsing design, but the reversal of the zoom ring and focus ring positions takes some getting used to. The focus ring has no detents at either end. It rotates 360 degrees.

I'll be comparing the kit lens with the 20-40 and 35mm Limiteds as soon as I get the opportunity, probably this weekend.

I cannot find the "Image Sync" application -- referred to in the start-up guide book for wi-fi use -- anywhere on-line. I suspect the usual garbled translation of the Pentax manual from Japanese to English, and that "Image Sync" is a generic reference not an app. Haven't had time to run this down yet. As a side note, The "wi-fi button" is actually referred to as the "self-portrait shutter release" in the manual.
03-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You really need to work on your un-boxing photo technique ...
It's conventional to include (at least!) 30 images in a camera un-boxing, including:

- if bought online, a picture of the parcel as it arrived on your door-step;
- several images of parcel being opened on a dining table (or messy computer desk with a cat sitting on it), with appropriate commentary about delivery delays or problems, the packaging, any damage to the parcel;
- 6 photos of the externals of the camera box, showing all sides of the box;
- 3 or 4 photos of the top of the box being opened, then the contents being gradually removed and un-wrapped;
- one photo of all the items in the box laid out flat on a table;
- 6 photos of the camera body (top/bottom, rear/front, left/right);
- multiple detail shots of camera features, inc: 4 shots of the rear LCD being opened/ shut/ pivoted, a shot of the battery door opened, one of the label on the camera bottom, etc;
- 3 images of the included lens;
- individual close up shots of the other inclusions in the box, including the camera strap, battery charger, manual, the software CD, any cables that came in the box, any warranty card etc etc. (Probably about 8 images there, at least).
- several pictures of the camera strap being attached;
- 3 pictures covering the battery charger being plugged in, the battery being charged, then the charged battery being installed in the camera;
- several pictures of a SD card being installed in the camera, highlighting the brand and specification of the card you used;
- 2 pictures of the lens being mounted on the camera body;
- 3 pictures of the now complete, ready-to-go camera.

I nominate this protocol as the standard unboxing procedure for the forum, with an appropriate blank page where the unboxed can just fill in the appropriate place holders. We have to get this in place before the full frame comes.

On a more serious note, the big question is. , how good is the IQ? Is this a camera I could use to replace my 2 K-5s one of which is used as a back up.
03-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

not the full operating manual
Well, that sucks!

Steve
03-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I cannot find the "Image Sync" application -- referred to in the start-up guide book for wi-fi use -- anywhere on-line. I suspect the usual garbled translation of the Pentax manual from Japanese to English, and that "Image Sync" is a generic reference not an app. Haven't had time to run this down yet.
My understanding is that it is an app to allow a wireless tether. From the Ricoh USA Web site:
"A dedicated app (Image Sync) is available for Android and iOS devices. Image Sync app brings improved ease of use to wireless tethering."
Other materials indicate that it is available at both the Apple and Android app stores. I checked Google Play Store just now and came up with nothing.

As a side note, The "wi-fi button" is actually referred to as the "self-portrait shutter release" in the manual.
The function of that button is overloaded. It doubles as a shutter release.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-03-2015 at 10:17 AM.
03-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that it is an app to allow a wireless tether. From the Ricoh USA Web site:
Yes, the K-S2 guide book says that, and specifically calls it "Image Sync" also. But I find no such app by that name yet.

Yes, I know the w-fi button doubles as the selfie shutter. I just thought it amusing that it's referred to that way in the manual, not as the "wi-fi button." And of course until I find the "Image Sync" app, secondary shutter is ALL that button is good for.

On another note, 'Diffraction Correction" is among the lens correction items. I think Diffraction Correction had been added to the K-3 through a software update.

Last edited by Marktax; 03-03-2015 at 11:07 AM.
03-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #15

Image Sync probably hasn't been released yet. The tethering software for the 645Z took a couple months to be released after the 645Z was shipping.