Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KS2 for Street Photography

I am wondering if anyone is using the new K-S2 for street photography. I am tempted to get one for this primary use as I would think the articulating screen would be great for some interesting angles or stealthy shooting. Wondering how this camera and the articulating screen in particular have added flexibility for you in street photography and how easy it is to see the screen. Also how loud the shutter is on the camera compared to the K-3, K-5, etc.

04-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I am wondering if anyone is using the new K-S2 for street photography. I am tempted to get one for this primary use as I would think the articulating screen would be great for some interesting angles or stealthy shooting. Wondering how this camera and the articulating screen in particular have added flexibility for you in street photography and how easy it is to see the screen. Also how loud the shutter is on the camera compared to the K-3, K-5, etc.
The shutter sound is more like the K-30, not the K-3. Fairly noticeable.

Screen is easy to open and flip around. Low angle - high angle shooting, works fine. I doubt that it adds stealth since when open you basically double the size of the object in your hands. You can operate the K-S2 from about 35-40 feet away with the wi-fi app, if you are brave enough to set the camera down in a secret spot and walk away. I imagine we'll start seeing shots taken like this soon; I have some planned myself.
04-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So can you kind of flip the screen in a way that you could have the screen stay directly behind the camera but angled up? So imagine having the camera around your neck and shooting from the waist or hip if you will. Almost like an old Kodak you would look down into the viewfinder if that makes sense.
04-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

Flip screen will make it versatile camera for street, macro and even portraits (er...including 'selfies'). Shutter noise won't be silent, as Marktax mentioned.. but on busy street, my k-50 was fairly inaudible anyway... I don't see much to worry about.

04-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So can you kind of flip the screen in a way that you could have the screen stay directly behind the camera but angled up? So imagine having the camera around your neck and shooting from the waist or hip if you will. Almost like an old Kodak you would look down into the viewfinder if that makes sense.
Have you considered the Pentax MX-1?

04-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So can you kind of flip the screen in a way that you could have the screen stay directly behind the camera but angled up?
No, it opens on a hinge to the left. Robert above is correct, you need the MX-1 tilt mechanism, not a hinge-type.
04-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had considered the MX-1 but the problems with it are: not detachable lens, smaller sensor, and no longer being produced. And when it was, I don't think they sold many of them in US so there are not many on the secondary market.

04-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

MX-1 is a great camera though and ideal for Street shooting. The 4x optical zoom is plenty. The fixed lens is amazing.
I'm sure they sold thousands of them in the US. Not many on the used market is a good sign because everyone is keeping their little gem

Try ► Amazon.com : Pentax MX-1 Silver 12MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD Display (OLD MODEL) : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo
04-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera body interferes with screen tilt (either up or down). Unless the screen is far enough away from the back of the camera, you can't tilt it very much.

NaCl(pretty much need it to be completely out to the side for it to work properly)H2O
04-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the MX-1 and the K-S2, and I agree that the MX-1 would be MUCH more appropriate for stealthy street shooting.

The K-S2 is too big, the screen articulates any way you want, but it has to fold OUT to the left first, making it much larger than it already is (as mentioned above).

The MX-1 is small, the screen tilts up directly behind the camera, so the size stays as compact as possible. The shooting/focusing modes are perfectly versatile for street shots, AND, having worked with the RAW files, don't you worry about that small sensor. The images are fantastic. Plus, the smaller sensor is going to give you greater DoF, which I think is probably preferable for candid street shots.

One of my favorite low-light shots with the MX-1:

For your purpose, and owning both cameras myself: Get the MX-1... But if you want the K-S2, just get it.
04-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great insights...thank you! Guess I am going to go look around the web for a MX1. Had one in my shopping cart when they were super cheap at B&H and Adorama before being discontinued but then decided against it and got a new lens instead.
04-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Still worth what Amazon are selling it new for..