Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Can the K-S2 send photos directly to phone via wifi?

When out in the wild (anywhere without wifi access) can photos be transferred from the K-S2 directly to an iPhone for uploading directly to social media?

05-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm waiting for the answer as well. I haven't found a way to do this, on my iPad or iPhone. I'm convinced the answer is yes, I just need a procedure.
05-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I understand the manual correctly, Yes. Page 38 of the K-S2 User Manual. The manual link is broken on the US site - I got it from Japan.

Once the iPhone has the profile for the K-S2 WiFi SSID (either through NFC or manually) it will connect over the phone's WiFi when the camera WiFi is turned on. Images can be uploaded to social media from the photos folder of your device.

Use of the Ricoh Imaging 'Image Sync' app makes transferring easier possible.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-25-2015 at 05:32 AM.
05-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

I can confirm that you dont need an external wifi to connect your iphone/ipad to the k-s2. Turn on the wifi of the k-s2, then select it in the wifi settings of your phone (password in the the camera menu). You need ricoh image sync to transfer images from k-s2 to your phone/ipad (2 step process, select images to transfer from k-s2 memory card to application album which may take a while, then select images from the application album to transfer to iphone's camera roll). The app is not that user friendly but it works, especially with small jpegs.

05-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-S2 will become the wifi router for your phone to join and transfer images. Then you use your phone's data connection to upload to Facebook (Newtophotos). Or Tinder if that's your kind of thing. :-)
05-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #6

In theory, this is the main purpose of the whole Wi-Fi-thing and one of the main reasons I chose the camera.
However, I have not been able to transfer the images in practice. I get the message that they are transferred, but they show up neither in the camera roll of the iPhone, nor in the application view the app offers.

Tested on an iPhone 6, newest iOS
05-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chriskue Quote
In theory, this is the main purpose of the whole Wi-Fi-thing and one of the main reasons I chose the camera.
However, I have not been able to transfer the images in practice. I get the message that they are transferred, but they show up neither in the camera roll of the iPhone, nor in the application view the app offers.

Tested on an iPhone 6, newest iOS
Try looking for a /DCIM/Image Sync folder. That's where the camera copied all my files on my android. It might only shown up in USB mode for you, but it my case I also see the photos in the app.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

QuoteQuote:
Try looking for a /DCIM/Image Sync folder. That's where the camera copied all my files on my android. It might only shown up in USB mode for you, but it my case I also see the photos in the app.
Thanks, Adam. Unfortunately this is not possible within the golden cage of an iPhone
05-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Adam. Unfortunately this is not possible within the golden cage of an iPhone
I find it hard to believe - not impossible! just hard to believe - that the iOS will not allow you to access a folder such as "My Files" or something like that.

Maybe another iPhone/K-S2 user can chime in.

For me, connecting and sending between my K-S2 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has been pretty much painless. Once I "logged on" to the camera's wi-fi network once, I told my phone to "remember" the network. Now all I do is press and hold the wi-fi button on the K-S2 for a second, tap the NFC icon on the camera with my phone, and they are instantly connected.

The only hitch was "where is it sending the images?" My husband helped me find them in "My Files" on my phone, so I just created a shortcut to that folder. Boom!

I actually recently got a little tiny Sony point-and-shoot that fits in my purse - super handy - and it has wi-fi/NFC. I like the functionality of the Sony's NFC better than the K-S2's: On the Sony, if I'm viewing an image in playback, all I have to do is tap my phone to the NFC logo on the camera and it instantly opens the PlayMemories app, creates a wi-fi network connection, sends that image to my phone, AND it puts it in a folder in my gallery, so I don't have to go dig it out of "My Files", like the Image Sync photos.

For Pentax's Image Sync, you have the extra step of "turning on the wi-fi" and finding the image buried in your phone's files. Neither is a major inconvenience, but I can see room for improvement/streamlining the file-sending process.
05-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I get the message that they are transferred, but they show up neither in the camera roll of the iPhone, nor in the application view the app offers. Tested on an iPhone 6, newest iOS
The images should show up in the application view if they transferred. They don't copy to the camera roll until you command them to do so, but that is straightforward. Maybe it's an iPhone 6 problem. I have the 5 and all is well. The Image Synch app was updated on May 11 to version 1.0.3, but it said nothing about matching with iPhone 6, if such had been needed.
05-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #11

Its working well with iphone 5. But i find the app non-intuitive. Its ok once you figure it out though.