Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

K-S2 JPG settings ?

Hello,

I'd rather shoot JPEG than RAW due to file sizes. Anyone can recommend good settings for JPEG for the K-S2 ? I'm currently using the Natural preset but I wonder if I should tweak it ?

Thanks !

08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nlecaude Quote
Hello,

I'd rather shoot JPEG than RAW due to file sizes. Anyone can recommend good settings for JPEG for the K-S2 ? I'm currently using the Natural preset but I wonder if I should tweak it ?

Thanks !
It really depends on what you're shooting, but natural is a good starting point for post-processing since it doesn't over-saturate colors as much. You may still need to adjust the saturation slider when shooting bright colors, though.

Also, if you're shooting with primes and no AA filter simulator, make sure you turn the sharpness setting all the way down, as otherwise your JPEGs may look over-sharpened.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

QuoteQuote:
Also, if you're shooting with primes and no AA filter simulator, make sure you turn the sharpness setting all the way down, as otherwise your JPEGs may look over-sharpened.
+1 on this. Pentax JPEGs are really good (I really can't do much better in RAW) but never 'presharpen' them (unless you are going straight to the web.). It is usually a good idea to save sharpening for the very last step in your workflow.
08-02-2015, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nlecaude Quote
Hello,

I'd rather shoot JPEG than RAW due to file sizes.
Why is this a factor? There is no one setting for every shot - which is a main benefit of making adjustments to suit the image in post-processing.