Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF/AE-L Button programing

I am shooting with my new K-S2 with excellent results. At the present time my one problem is being able to lock the exposure. I like to use "back button focus." On the K-S2 this means re-programming the AF/AE-L Button for focusing instead of using the shutter release button. But this means I can't quickly lock the exposure if I want to. On the K-5 II there was a separate button for AE-L. Right now I have the exposure set to the focus point, but this is not always what I want. I usually shoot in AV mode. The only way around this that I can see is to take an exposure reading in AV then switch to manual and dial in the exposure settings.
Is there anyway to quickly lock the exposure without using the AF/AE-L Button?

08-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think so. I guess that convenience is reserved for the high-end line

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh well, thank you Adam.
09-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is one of the major disadvantages of KS2. I also use this button set to focus. But I knew about it when I bought the camera. indeed the only solution to "simulate" AEL is the manual exposure mode.

09-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Manual exposure works fine, just an extra step.
09-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I can't see the problem with just holding the shutter to lock the focus and using the AEL to lock the exposure.
09-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
I can't see the problem with just holding the shutter to lock the focus and using the AEL to lock the exposure.
For a single exposure & shot that would work and what I use to do. But there times where I I don't want the exposure to be set on the focus point. If they are the same, your method works fine. I guess I am in the habit of sometimes wanting to lock the exposure somewhere else in the frame and then refocus on a subject by itself, or the other way around. Don't worry, I love my K-S2, especially the fold out lcd screen.

09-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

AF-ON & Back Button Autofocus: This May Just Change the Way You Shoot Forever
02-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
In manual mode the green button can lock in the exposure.
03-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxknights1 Quote
In manual mode the green button can lock in the exposure.
Excellent point. The green button makes manual mode so much more flexible. It's like having full-time AE Lock, and the green button simply takes the next autoexposure reading.

That frees up the AF/AE-L button for autofocus.