Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K5 issue attaching lenses.

Good morning, i have a problem.
As you know i love taking photos of race cars, and I am at Monaco this days for F1.

Yesterday late at the day my K5 falled off from my seat to the floor meanwhile i wasn't there, and after that it does not "close" when attaching a lens to the body.

Usually it mades a "clac" sound when the lens is fully fitted in the camera. Right now it does not.

The main problem of that is that seems like the camera does not recognise having a lens attached, and for this reason the AF does not work (only manual focusing) and any other functions a part of shooting in AV does not work.

Anyone has had this problem before? I am thinking that maybe the lense switch button is the problem, but i really don't know.

Any help would be much appreciated

05-26-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lens lock button is problematic. Usually, it falls off.
05-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes it happened before and got it repaired tho
05-27-2016, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Time for a K-3 ;-)

05-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Good morning, i have a problem.
As you know i love taking photos of race cars, and I am at Monaco this days for F1.

Yesterday late at the day my K5 falled off from my seat to the floor meanwhile i wasn't there, and after that it does not "close" when attaching a lens to the body.

Usually it mades a "clac" sound when the lens is fully fitted in the camera. Right now it does not.

The main problem of that is that seems like the camera does not recognise having a lens attached, and for this reason the AF does not work (only manual focusing) and any other functions a part of shooting in AV does not work.

Anyone has had this problem before? I am thinking that maybe the lense switch button is the problem, but i really don't know.

Any help would be much appreciated
Have you tried another lens, to find out if it's perhaps damage to the lens mount?

If the problem persist with another lens, and taking into account that you can't "lock" the lens, their might be damage to the camera mount, and alignment with the lens locking pin....?

Do the AF drive pin on the lens turn as normal, and engage with the drive on the mount?

Perhaps a posting photos of the lens and camera mounts might help....
05-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a subtle warp of the mount (lens or camera) that prevents alignment of the pins. You can try looking at the mount and making sure the locking pin moves in and out smoothly but I suspect that isn't the problem. You may try twisting harder than normal to attach the lens but this risks getting the lens stuck if the pressure on the pin is too high.

---------- Post added 05-27-16 at 09:09 AM ----------

Also carefully check pictures. I suspect the mount may be slightly warped which may result in slight distortion of the alignment of the light falling on the sensor. I would guess this would be similar to a slight asymmetric field curvature resulting in something akin to decentering.
05-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey there thanks for your replies, no, other lenses doesn't fit anyway, none of the 5 i have herw with me.

Thanks for your answers!

Enviat des del meu A0001 usant Tapatalk

05-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good morning guys, i have read you all but we don't have much internet connectivity over here.

I'll try to let a photo of how the camera mount looks like nowadays.

Best regards,

P.s. I have checked online and the only thing i see different is the lens change button lock, wich seems to be in a different position.
05-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look again... you seem to be missing the pin that holds a lens locked in place.

See this for comparison. You have a dark hole where a pin should be sticking out:

05-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good morning guys, i have read you all but we don't have much internet connectivity over here.
I'll try to let a photo of how the camera mount looks like nowadays.
Best regards,
P.s. I have checked online and the only thing i see different is the lens change button lock, which seems to be in a different position.
Hi red5isalive Sir, the picture of the lens mount you posted clearly shows a hole where the lens lock pin should have been.
It appears this pin has fallen out and your lens no longer locks in with that familiar click as it engages the slot on the back of the lens mount.

When you press the lens release button to dismount a lens, this pin retracts into and inside the hole on the lens mount on the body.
This can be fixed very easily, if you get a defunct body - one of the AF Film SLRs like the MZ-5 or others. You can do it yourself.

Regards.
05-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not just the locking pin, something looks wrong with the AF drive screw as well.
05-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes i thought so also

05-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The af drive is withdrawn when the lens locking pin is pushed. Your locking pin has slipped sideways and jammed, the only fix is to remove the lens mount and re-align the pin. There are some posts on this forum relating to removing and replacing the lens mount on the body.
05-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes i thought so also

Is the chassis under the mount ring intact? Something is very wrong with this picture. As mentioned above...time to buy a K-3.

Steve
05-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think that the close up picture of the damaged camera is only optically distorted, the battery grip wheel shows it.