Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choosing a warranty- Pentax or New Leaf? And what happened to Square Trade?

Nobody needs to tell me the importance of a camera warranty- or how it can turn out to be more expensive than you expected. When I sent my Pentax K-5IIs to SQ to fix a stuck memory card, they informed me that it was unrepairable. A refund check is on the way. I can't imagine how this little flaw would have cost more to repair than the $500 original cost, but they're in the driver's seat here. And they've given me a perfect excuse to advance my K-1 purchase schedule, so the good news is that I got free use of my K5IIS for a year and a half. The bad news is that the replacement I want is $1200 more than they're reimbursing me.

B&H is offering a Pentax 3-year Advanced warranty for $110. Adorama offers the same term right now for $60, including drops and spills coverage. That's a tempting offer, with twice the coverage for half the price. Searching this category, I don't see any good or bad testimonials from New Leaf customers. What's their reputation, if they have one? And whatever became of Square Trade?

08-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
mee
Veteran Member

They might not be able to get parts, so they just write off the whole item.

You theoretically can still buy a Square Trade warranty for cameras on their website. They are quoting 314 dollars for 3 years in the K-1's price range.
08-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's a wide price range indeed!
08-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A key difference is that the $110 pentax warranty doesn't cover incidental damage, whereas SQ warranties do. Up to you on which you want to go for. With the Pentax warranty, repairs will definitely be possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unless there's been a problem with New Leaf, that offer is pretty irresistible.
08-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is it possible to buy warranty before the 1 year warranty that comes with the camera runs out? About to get the k-1, but if I could delay the warranty purchase for few weeks/months thatd make things easier in regards to buying new lenses.
08-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another discussion I read here from a few months ago emphasized that the Pentax warranty must be bought within 30 days of purchase. I haven't heard about the other companies' deadllines.

Does anyone else think it's weird to ask hundreds of dollars for a warranty without listing the warranty terms and conditions?

08-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Apple care can be purchased any time before the original warranty runs out, which makes sense. Why limit the customer in his options..
08-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Square trade posts the terms and conditions on their website. I think you have 30 days too for theirs. I also remember seeing a 14 or 15 day limit for one of their types of warranties (maybe the spills and drops one ?). In any case, the fine print is available over on their website.

I suspect it is the same with the Leaf warranty.
09-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen an extended warranty that didn't require you purchase it pretty close to time of sale. Otherwise people would buy it after their camera broke, wait a few weeks and send it in.
09-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I've never seen an extended warranty that didn't require you purchase it pretty close to time of sale. Otherwise people would buy it after their camera broke, wait a few weeks and send it in.
Erm, wouldn't you be under the 1 warranty anyway. And stuff isn't suppose to break after 1 year, and if it does, you should be able to get it fixed. Whatever people may think of apple, at least you can buy their warranty any time you original runs out. Thing is, they still make money because not everyone will experience a major issue in the 3 years of owning, same as any other insurance works.