Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update of DFA 24-70 misery with Precision

Pecision got my lens on Sept 1. The lens was 2 months old and had a wobble in the barrel. So Precision first told me 5-7 business days so I contacted them on the 15th and they told me they had shipped it to the factory in colorado. No idea what factory they are talking about and I couldn't contact the factory. So I called Precision several times since and they said they had no idea how long it would take. They called me on the 26th and said the factory said the lens had impact damage. I told them no way it had any impact damage and if it had I would have sent it to Square trade because I have accidental coverage. They told me they would talk to the factory and call me back. I called them yesterday and they said they were waiting on pictures from the factory showing the impact damage. I told them I did not care about any pictures and wanted my lens sent back. I feel like my lens is being held hostage and honestly have no idea how they could be calling it impact damage. So immensely frustrated and wondering what I did to to have caused it and worried after it is fixed will it happen again. I just want my lens back. All I can say is be careful if you have this lens. Maybe I got one that wasn't solid but I am literally scratching my head over this.

09-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any way to state that you had wobble since owning it and therefore the impact damage was prior to you owning it? I understand that while you do have the Squaretrade accidental coverage, but manufacturer/distributor damage should be covered by the manufacturer - and they should be made to cover it.
09-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really don't know if it had it when I got it. I only noticed it because I was walking with it around my neck and I could hear it move. I felt it had a higher rate of pictures that weren't in focus but thought maybe it was something that I still needed to learn with the full frame. I used it alot to take landscape pictures on the tripod so those would have been manual focus and they were fine. So I really cannot say if it happen before I got it or after but since it was 2 months when I noticed it my only option was to send in for warranty work. I would have noticed it if I had used it on the K3 but just chalked it up to inexperience.
09-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah ok, was worth a thought.

09-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One other thing to add was if the barrel wasn't extended it worked fine (even slight extension it was fine) so that was another thing that made it difficult to evaluate. If I got it now I would be able to notice the difference.
09-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Pecision got my lens on Sept 1. The lens was 2 months old and had a wobble in the barrel. So Precision first told me 5-7 business days so I contacted them on the 15th and they told me they had shipped it to the factory in colorado. No idea what factory they are talking about and I couldn't contact the factory. So I called Precision several times since and they said they had no idea how long it would take. They called me on the 26th and said the factory said the lens had impact damage. I told them no way it had any impact damage and if it had I would have sent it to Square trade because I have accidental coverage. They told me they would talk to the factory and call me back. I called them yesterday and they said they were waiting on pictures from the factory showing the impact damage. I told them I did not care about any pictures and wanted my lens sent back. I feel like my lens is being held hostage and honestly have no idea how they could be calling it impact damage. So immensely frustrated and wondering what I did to to have caused it and worried after it is fixed will it happen again. I just want my lens back. All I can say is be careful if you have this lens. Maybe I got one that wasn't solid but I am literally scratching my head over this.
I do not believe there is a Pentax factory in Colorado. That was closed in 2012. The Denver offices were apparently closed this spring.

Perhaps Precision dropped your lens and caused the 'impact damage'.
09-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Let me see:
  • You heard a rattle and noticed a wobble and sent the lens for repair (hopefully under warranty)
  • You sent it to Precision and for some reason they sent it to Ricoh/Pentax
  • Ricoh/Pentax has denied your warranty service based on inspection and some evidence of drop/impact
  • Unknown as to whether the lens is repairable and when you are going to get your lens back
You have the right to know why they have not sent your lens back or given you an estimate to repair. Time to lean on Precision a little harder. Regardless of where they sent your lens, they are responsible for the return of your property.

Steve

09-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Let me see:
  • You heard a rattle and noticed a wobble and sent the lens for repair (hopefully under warranty)
  • You sent it to Precision and for some reason they sent it to Ricoh/Pentax
  • Ricoh/Pentax has denied your warranty service based on inspection and some evidence of drop/impact
  • Unknown as to whether the lens is repairable and when you are going to get your lens back
You have the right to know why they have not sent your lens back or given you an estimate to repair. Time to lean on Precision a little harder. Regardless of where they sent your lens, they are responsible for the return of your property.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I was going to wait until Monday to call them bacl but will do it now. This is unbelievable and I don't know what to do.
Amy

---------- Post added 09-30-16 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do not believe there is a Pentax factory in Colorado. That was closed in 2012. The Denver offices were apparently closed this spring.

Thanks Paul. I just want my lens
09-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Call Ricoh directly when Precision is unresponsive. Good luck.

Precision received the lens. They made no mention of impact damage, then shipped it to Ricoh. Ricoh then claimed impact damage. The impact damage may have occurred between Precision and Ricoh.

There is no Pentax "factory" in the United States. I wonder if Precision or Ricoh forwarded your lens to another country which might explain why it's taking so long to return.
09-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Call Ricoh directly when Precision is unresponsive. Good luck.

Precision received the lens. They made no mention of impact damage, then shipped it to Ricoh. Ricoh then claimed impact damage. The impact damage may have occurred between Precision and Ricoh.

There is no Pentax "factory" in the United States. I wonder if Precision or Ricoh forwarded your lens to another country which might explain why it's taking so long to return.

Thank you John!!!! Paul also suggested the same so I contacted Ricoh and they called me back very quickly and are looking into it. I feel so much better. The guy I spoke to was so supportive and I know he will get anwers quickly. If Precision was as helpful as Pentax we would all be alot happier!!! More to come.
09-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

IF there is any 'impact' damage, I suspect that is so. That, or Precision packaged it poorly before shipping it to wherever and it was damaged in transit.

As an aside, I keep reading of this 'impact damage' in various threads. It is starting to seem to me that this is a common way to deny warranty work (saving them time and money).
09-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I once dropped a K50/1.2 as I unwrapped the bubble wrap it came in. The focusing ring bounced on the edge of my desk, it hit me on the foot and rolled across my office. There was a hitch in the focus action about 2/3 rotation from infinity. (I said to myself, "OM_G. I just dropped a K50/1.2.")

I sent it to Eric. He repaired it. The Invoice described "Repaired Impact Damage to focus helicoid. Cleaned, lubricated, adjusted infinity focus."

A wobbly barrel is an assembly error. It isn't impact damage.
09-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

The Denver offices were apparently closed this spring.
That is sad news.. you mean this (Google maps short link: Google Maps ) is no longer there??

---------- Post added 09-30-16 at 05:49 PM ----------

A wobbly barrel is an assembly error. It isn't impact damage.
It is 'impact' damage if you want to get out of repairing it under warranty (for whatever reason).
09-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a call from precision and can't say I'm happy. I don't trust them and unfortunately I have to wait until it gets back from JAPAN via Connecticut to send it off to square trade to be repaired.

Hello Ms. Pearsall,

As we just discussed on the phone we are working with Management at Ricoh to expedite the return of your Pentax 24-70 lens from the parent factory in Japan. The request to return the lens unrepaired was already in process, I reached out to them and requested that the return shipment be expedited so that you can work with Square Trade to have this issue resolved. I will provide you with the tracking number of the shipment from Japan to Precision Camera and personally oversee the return of the lens to you as soon as it arrives at our facility in CT.

I apologize for the mis-communication informing you that the lens was at the factory in Colorado. We have updated this information with our call center agents and are working with Ricoh Management to put new procedures in place to expedite the repair process for products that need repair at the parent factory.

Please reach out to me directly with any additional questions you may have.

Best Regards,

Dave Marsh

David Marsh | Vice President - Sales & Marketing | Precision Camera, Inc.
E: DMarsh@PrecisionCamera.com | A: 7 Anngina Drive, Enfield, CT 06082 | T: 860.272.2117 | M: 860.967.4699
09-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Yep, they are passing the buck. You could point out that they didn't make mention of any 'impact damage' before sending it to Japan. And I would be curious of their response.

But you asked for it returned unrepaired and you made mention of Squaretrade. I think they are instantly going to drop you off (in that situation) since you gave them reasons to do so.

This is one of those cases that discussing with Precision is going to get you no where. Dealing with Pentax/Ricoh directly is your only hope (short of squaretrade).