Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 03:17 AM   #1

k-500. Do I have the dreaded aperture problem?

I don't use my camera too much nowadays. I only noticed the other day taking some photos of something i am selling and used the flash. I never use the flash but have noticed my photos for a while have needed a much higher iso and slower shutter time. Even on a bright sunny day at the beach. Looking back at some earlier photos, I can tell that my aperture is being shut completely regardless of what the camera is telling me.

using the flash, pictures are black unless i max out the iso and then it's a worthless shot that is still underexposed.

I've reset the custom settings as well as the factory reset on the camera body.

if i look into the camera from the front I can see the aperture isn't opening when i press the shutter button no matter what the aperture is set at.

If I play with it for a while I can get it to work again but if i turn it off for more than a few minutes it starts all over again.

I've checked the lens and nothing is binding in it.

If i take off the lens and press the shutter button the aperture whatever you call it, in the body, moves completely up and down as if it's closing the aperture all the way.

I am not sure if this is the same exact issues I have looked up that apply to the k-30 and k-50 or I have something different going on.

Is there a tear down guide for the k-500 to repair this. It's out of warranty. I got it on B and H when they discontinued it and had it marked down to $400 so having someone repair it (unless it isn't that expensive to repair) isn't worth it.

10-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moth_baller Quote
I don't use my camera too much nowadays. I only noticed the other day taking some photos of something i am selling and used the flash. I never use the flash but have noticed my photos for a while have needed a much higher iso and slower shutter time. Even on a bright sunny day at the beach. Looking back at some earlier photos, I can tell that my aperture is being shut completely regardless of what the camera is telling me.

using the flash, pictures are black unless i max out the iso and then it's a worthless shot that is still underexposed.

if i look into the camera from the front I can see the aperture isn't opening when i press the shutter button no matter what the aperture is set at.

If I play with it for a while I can get it to work again but if i turn it off for more than a few minutes it starts all over again.

If i take off the lens and press the shutter button the aperture whatever you call it, in the body, moves completely up and down as if it's closing the aperture all the way.

I am not sure if this is the same exact issues I have looked up that apply to the k-30 and k-50 or I have something different going on.

Is there a tear down guide for the k-500 to repair this. It's out of warranty. I got it on B and H when they discontinued it and had it marked down to $400 so having someone repair it (unless it isn't that expensive to repair) isn't worth it.
I think you have to replace the aperture actuator to fix the problem. A repair would cost less than a new camera, but the latter would surely be a better value. I'd go for the K-S2 if that's what you decide.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2016, 03:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moth_baller Quote

I do not guarantee this will help, but it helped me. I've explained it in details here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/332215-pulled-out-my...ml#post3806066

Teardown is rather straightforward but unless you are really skilled at soldering, have the right tools and know how to open/close flex cable connectors, I would not recommend you to repair it yourself.

Regards,

Marko
10-22-2016, 04:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
even a new camera is out of the question. it will just have to sit and wait if i go that route for probably a good year.

Audi - i saw on your thread. sucks my friend. i did see that pentaxcamerarepair.com. i'm going to email them. my k-500 from what i gather is practically identical to the k-50. the k-50 being weather sealed. if they can do the repair for $100 plus shipping then i can live with that. i'm skilled enough to fix it myself however if someone can do it for that that's the safer option. i'll see what they say and post about ti.