Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

K1 in use! Canada

Just picked up my K1 minus the battery grip, that will arrive in 2 - 3 weeks. No big deal!
Anyway first impressions are good, menu system is very intuitive and am getting used to those extra dials.

I can confirm the freeze reported with the Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8 HSM II, but it works on my K3 so not the end of the world.

Another interesting issue is when you do pixel mapping. My K1 does it and shows the progress bar and flashes "data being processed" and then about 75% of the way it says EXIT and then the camera freezes showing the menu and I have to pop out the battery (fully charged) and when I pop it in again all is well. It did this a couple of times and now I have changed the battery with another fully charged Pentax one and now it seems OK. Can someone else with a K1 please try this so I can find out if it is just my camera or a more general issue.

I will report as I use and get used to the camera.

By the way is their any route to report these problems to Ricoh or does Pentax Forums report this?

Cheers

Tim

04-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
Just picked up my K1 minus the battery grip, that will arrive in 2 - 3 weeks. No big deal!
Anyway first impressions are good, menu system is very intuitive and am getting used to those extra dials.

I can confirm the freeze reported with the Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8 HSM II, but it works on my K3 so not the end of the world.

Another interesting issue is when you do pixel mapping. My K1 does it and shows the progress bar and flashes "data being processed" and then about 75% of the way it says EXIT and then the camera freezes showing the menu and I have to pop out the battery (fully charged) and when I pop it in again all is well. It did this a couple of times and now I have changed the battery with another fully charged Pentax one and now it seems OK. Can someone else with a K1 please try this so I can find out if it is just my camera or a more general issue.

By the way is their any route to report these problems to Ricoh or does Pentax Forums report this?

Cheers

Tim
Share the issues on the forum and we'll forward them to the appropriate place.

Note that it's most likely up to Sigma to fix the lens incompatibility.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Share the issues on the forum and we'll forward them to the appropriate place.
It would be great for PF to [somehow] keep a running tally of the various bugs and incompatibilities people encounter with the K-1.
04-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It would be great for PF to [somehow] keep a running tally of the various bugs and incompatibilities people encounter with the K-1.
I've set up a thread for it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-k-1-bugs-issues-list.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers

Tim
Assuming the first battery was a Pentax battery as well?
Just asking in case of a 3rd party battery causing problems.
Cheers!
04-29-2016, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Picked mine up today too! What a happy surprise for the weekend, usually we get things 2-3 days after Toronto, I was resigned to wait until next week.

A few early snaps, all from DA* 55 in FF mode:

Made use of the articulating screen here, Auto 33-point AF picked out my subject on the first try, I was seriously impressed! Probably had help from face detection in live-view.

Finally, of course, we must test it on a feline.

Last edited by Mock; 04-29-2016 at 08:47 PM.
04-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Picked mine up today too! What a happy surprise for the weekend, usually we get things 2-3 days after Toronto, I was resigned to wait until next week.

A few early snaps, all from DA* 55 in FF mode:

Made use of the articulating screen here, Auto 33-point AF picked out my subject on the first try, I was seriously impressed! Probably had help from face detection in live-view.

Finally, of course, we must test it on a feline.
Can you show some 1.4 with lens hoods?

04-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Sure, I'll pop the hood on when I'm shooting tomorrow. I don't typically use the hood on this lens anyway, I've never had an issue with flare since the front element is recessed very deep.
Please keep in mind the shots above are edited to my taste, which usually includes adding a bit of vignette.
04-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi.

Please note that apparently the hood is optimised for aps-c so vignetting might show up.

If used with a hood in ff mode regularly, a replacement hood might be a good idea.

Ignore this comment Mock as u said u don't use the hood but for other users, worth keeping in mind.

Howie Be
04-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
There appears to be a slight vignette in the very-extreme corners caused by the hood, just took a dump shot of my room here, and the white wall has a tiny yellow triangle on it visible on the camera monitor. Ideally the hood should be about 1cm shorter, I'd guess.
04-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

This is the first that I've heard of this. Bummer. Now that's just gonna tempt me to buy the Pentax 70-200. I've been wanting it for the WR.
04-30-2016, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Assuming the first battery was a Pentax battery as well?
Just asking in case of a 3rd party battery causing problems.
Cheers!
Yep it was a Pentax battery. Have since tried a couple of other Pentax batteries and so far no problems.
Tim

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 12:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
This is the first that I've heard of this. Bummer. Now that's just gonna tempt me to buy the Pentax 70-200. I've been wanting it for the WR.
Yes this is now starting to piss me off, although I said it didn't matter. The 70-200 focal length may be very busy on the K1. However I do have the 60-250 and I'll see what sort of quality I get with this lens in crop mode. By the way I can confirm the Sigma 150-500 lens works on the K1.

Although I'm tempted to try out the Tamron 70-200 as my dealer has a few left at a good price.

Tim
04-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

By the way I can confirm the Sigma 150-500 lens works on the K1.
Then my Bigma 50-500 HSM OS should work too...I'm hoping?

Regards!
05-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see London Drugs has some K-1's in-stock with free shipping:

Digital SLR Cameras

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 05-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.