Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PF when you test the K1, could you ...

Starting a thread to ask Pentax Forums if they would kindly include the following comparisons. I'm ssuming others may have their particular requests...

How does the dynamic range of the K1 compare directly with the K3 in the following circumstances:

# ISO 100 & 200. I mainly use mirror lock up and a remote with whatever shutter speed is required to get the best low noise, high DR images. I'd be very interested if I could judge how the K1's DR compares with the K3 at low ISOs when everything is locked down and stabilised.

Thanks

04-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And using the exact same lens, same lighting, same settings.
But isn't that something that pretty much all reviews test, DR? Sure, some might have some faults in their methodology, or even undisclosed system of testing, but it should give you a ballpark estimate.

As far as I can see, K-5IIs at ISO 80 has slightly more DR than K-3 at ISO 100. And K-1 should be slightly above the K-5IIs. Probably won't be noticeable in most scenarios, especially at low ISO, where pretty much every modern DSLR is excellent. Any extra DR will mostly become noticeable only when you really do a lot of PP, like +2EV, a lot of added contrast, etc.
04-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I'd be very interested if I could judge how the K1's DR compares with the K3 at low ISOs when everything is locked down and stabilised.
There is no need to lock the camera down, etc.. Dynamic range is a basic sensor attribute and is measured using an exposure wedge. The amount of noise at a particular EV is related, but different. Detail capture at low EV is what you get when DR is high and noise is low. As noted above, the various review sites that include this in their testing should provide an acceptable basis for comparison. I like the reviews at imaging-resource.com as a basis for comparison. Their testing is comprehensive and they are usually very good making sure Pentax cameras get tested.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2016 at 07:06 AM.
04-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is no need to lock the camera down, etc.. Dynamic range is a basic sensor attribute and is measured using an exposure wedge. The amount of noise at a particular EV is related, but different. As noted above, the various review sites that include this in their testing should provide an acceptable basis for comparison. I like the reviews at imaging-resource.com. Their testing is comprehensive and they are usually very good making sure Pentax cameras get tested.

Steve
"There is a need to lock camera down etc, " if you want to use the lowest ISO and therefore get the best DR. I can compare dxomark's sensor measurements for k3 v d800 to get an idea, but Ricoh engineers will/may have squeezed a little more out of the sensor. To me I can see DR differences, ie tonal differences, when printed at a2 size, as I do regularly, say ISO 100 and 400. Therefore there may well be noticeable differences between the two cameras. Thus my request ...

04-30-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'm putting in a vote for at least a limited head-to-head comparison of the K-5 or K-5 IIs vs K-1 in crop mode, with the same DA lens. It can be a prime to avoid overworking the reviewer.
04-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd be very interested to see how legacy lenses perform... I will even volunteer to do the testing, just give me a k1