Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Typical live view humming, when not in live view.

Hi all,

We all know that when in live view, Pentax cameras produce a humming sound from their mechanics. Anyone able to explain why this humming comes when not in live view at every half press of the shutter/af button press? My K-3 does not do this. I can't see myself getting used to this constant engaging and disengaging of this noise in the camera. What happened to the simple silence when shooting through the viewfinder? Far too noisy for my liking. I've tried turning of SR, that doesn't work. All filters etc are off. No idea if there is a way to turn off what ever it causing it.

Kindly

Rob.

05-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sensor still needs to be stabilized while shooting through the viewfinder. To save power, the SR mechanism isn't active unless the light meter is on (i.e. following a half-press).

If SR is turned off, the system is still powered up to keep the sensor locked in place. In other words, there's no way to get rid of the humming.

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
My K-3 does not do this
It does, but it's much harder to hear Try a telephoto lens and you'll definitely hear it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sensor still needs to be stabilized while shooting through the viewfinder. To save power, the SR mechanism isn't active unless the light meter is on (i.e. following a half-press).

If SR is turned off, the system is still powered up to keep the sensor locked in place. In other words, there's no way to get rid of the humming.

It does, but it's much harder to hear Try a telephoto lens and you'll definitely hear it.
Thankyou, appreciated. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

Kindly,

Rob.
05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

The sensor cradle on the K-1 is much larger than the APS-C versions. You can read about the challenges Ricoh faced trying to keep the size and weight of the K-1 sensor SR mechanism down. If they wanted to make a larger body it would have been an easier design task.

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

05-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is interesting. My Sony A99V-based Hasselblad HV is full frame, and has Sony's "SteadyShot" SR built in. I leave this activated most of the time while shooting hand-held, and I don't notice any noise from that whatsoever, even at home and using longer lenses such as the Tamron 70-200 USD and Tamron 150-600 USD... or I haven't thus far. I wonder if the SR technologies are mechanically very different, or if the Sony technology relies more on software than mechanics?
05-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Unregistered User

On a positive note!! I first noticed it at 3:30am, in a dead quiet room. It seemed overly loud. Though out and about today in real world use, It was no longer noticed. Merely was amplified in the utter silence and only heard when close to my face!

Peace peeps!
05-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Can someone confirm that the K-3 does this? I know that the K-5 and earlier models doesn't.

I'm not a fan of this power draining method of engaging the SR mechanism as soon as I hit a button.

05-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Can someone confirm that the K-3 does this?
If it does, I have never, ever noticed it - with long lenses, short lenses, indoors, outdoors, whatever.
05-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And if you can hear it, your hearing is still fairly good!

Unless it's thrashing about with a long tele lens, it's pretty well beyond me to hear it these days.