Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #1

Write speed SD card - test

has anybody made a test with the SD card ? I have a few older cards, Sandisk Ultra Plus SDHC I, 32Gb, read 48MB/s, Sandisk Extreme SDHC I 16Gb read 45MB/s write 30Mb/s. Adata SDHC 16Gb Class 10. Today I bought Samsung SDXC I PRO+ 64Gb 95Mb/s read and up to 90Mb/s write and it doesn't seem faster then my older cards.

I did a test with all the cards - same setting and of the same scenes, and highcontinuous shooting. Iso 500, 1/1250, f2,8. I took 17 frames in RAW, then the camera slowed down. All the cards almost all the time took 17 frames before it slowed down. When I started shooting, I set a timer when the led light that indicated access to card turned on and when it turned off, I stopped the timer. I did the test with all cards 6 times.

Average Result:

Sandisk Extreme - 26sec
Sandisk Ultra Plus - 25sec
Samsung PRO+ - 24sec
Adata - 80sec

Can anyone do a similar test with another card or do a better test ? Does anybody know the real max writing speed for K-1 ?
I am thinking that I will return the samsung card, because It doesn't make sense to keep it.
I bought it because I need a faster and bigger card for next weekend and I originally was thinking about Sandisk Extreme Pro 128Gb with the same spec as Samsung Pro+, but I couldn't find it in my area, but now I don't know if it will be a waste money to get a fast card when the camera cannot use it.

05-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In burst mode, my results are consistent with yours. I was able to get a slightly faster write speed of 36Mb/s with the extreme pro while in HDR mode. Note that every file adds a bit of overhead in burst mode, hence the calculation is not a true measure of the write speed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
I saw this too, that was the reason why I bought the Samsung card, but I expected more speed. I would like know max writing speed for K-1

05-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I tested dual transcend 90MB/s 64GB sd cards from pressing down of the shutter to LED with the following results:

1. Single card write, 22.9 s average
2. Dual card write, 58.80 s average
05-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In my experience the biggest difference you notice is when you transfer your shots to your computer. Thats when the faster cards get the job done. But thats a whole different story.
06-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have a new work flow with the Transend SD cards. Instead of transferring the pics(DRG) to my HD, I open them directly from the SD card with ACR, I then fix the ones I want to keep, I then separate them by type and transfer the JPEGs I want to keep to my HD & format the SD card. This both fixes & selects the pics I want to keep & save some time.

06-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
When you want to messures the pure writespeed to the cards, you can do that by messuring the writespeed of the images after the buffer is filled. Just clock it how much time it takes to write down a full buffer. Then do the same, but continue to take shots for another minute. The extra images you can calculatie the frame rate after the buffer is full and when the light from writing to the card is out you can calculatie the writespeed.