Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Back to Pentax???

Hi all, I was and avid Pentax user in the film days. My first digital camera was the kx. I went pro, shooting events and and bought Canon gear. I Sold the kx but kept my lenses, which include Pentax a 1.7, cosmicar 35 2.8, Tamron 70-300 AF and Pentax 35-70 AF. My canon body has to be replaced and I'm thinking of Jumping ship as Canon is slow to release updates and I feel they are not on par with the competition in the iso range. I typicaly can go as high as iso 2500-3200.
So I'm torn between Nikon and Pentax.
I really like the Nikon lineup and thinking to but the new D500 despite the fact that it's not FF, because of the superior and accurate focus and iso capabilities. I don't like however that the body doesn't have in body stabilization.
I've been on this forum and am getiing conflicting reports about the k1's focusing speed. Sometimes the venues in which I shoot dancing, can be somewhat dimly lit adding to that the movement of the dancing, my old 5d 2 doesn't always keep up.
I was wondering if any of you people had the chance to put the k1 through this kind of scenario and what are your thoughts?
Love the high iso capability and the in body stabilization, but I'm not sure it would be better that some of the competition as far as AF speed and accuracy. Video is secondary to me but would like to know about the speed of auto focus as well
An honest answer would be greatly appreciated!
Jake

05-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think all your questions about the new K-1 would be answered in this Canadian video test of the K-1.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321942-camera-store-video-test-k-1-a.html
05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 is not the camera for sports or birding. Better get d 5 or d500.
If you ask about focus it is on par with my d610 but better when focusing on dim light. My d610 can't focus on dark my k1 can.
05-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

I'll let the actual owners of the K-1 confirm, but AF speed or accuracy won't be your problem with the K-1, as long as it's anything like the K-3. Your problem will likely be tracking. If you need serious tracking I'm sure the K-1 will be fine, but not amazing. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the K-1, but if I had to go Nikon the D500 would be way overkill and the D750 would probably be a better choice for far less money than the D500.

05-25-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd recommend renting a K-1 to try out before making a decision except that the rental sites don't seem to have any yet. Compared to the previous Pentax DSLRs the AF on the K-1 is leaps and bounds better but is it as good as the Nikons? Maybe not.
05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
I've been on this forum and am getiing conflicting reports about the k1's focusing speed.
Focusing speed is a combination of camera and lens so both have to be up to the job. The K-1 with modern glass, like the DFA 24-70 is quite fast and reliable. With other, older lenses you might see different reports as the lens cannot keep up. For example I always thought my DA*60-250 to be OK at autofocus, not great but acceptable. But after using the DFA 24-70 I find the 60-250 to be excruciatingly slow. I suspect that is why you are seeing conflicting reports.

Is it as good as Nikon? Who knows, lots of variables involved, including whether the reviewer took the time to set the camera up properly or just used out of the box settings. Sensors are roughly the same though Pentax seems to have a slight edge in low light. Tracking on the K-1 seems to me leaps and bounds ahead of any previous Pentax, but I've no experience with Nikon in that regard.

You might PM @Kenspo for some opinion, he shoots concerts and events and seems quite happy.
05-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really like the Nikon lineup and thinking to but the new D500 despite the fact that it's not FF, because of the superior and accurate focus and iso capabilities.
Nikon D500 AF isn't more accurate than another full frame system, the D500 is designed for dynamic shooting (>10 frames/s) for people who can't afford the D5 who still need speed of af tracking in motion subject and can trade-off on sensor iso noise.

Each camera is tailored to a major type of use:
D5 and 1Dx = sport shooting, otherwise it is not cost/size effective at all to use a D5 to make portraits in a studio.
5DIII,5Ds, D810,D750, K1 = tailored to be ff sensors (good IQ) for studio, landscape, weddings, slow moving subjects , not tailored for sports (although they can also be use, they won't perform very well for sport photography)
K3, 7DII, D500 = tailored for sports for folks doing birds in flight etc who can't afford their big brothers
D7200, 80D, and similar cameras (could be KS2 or K70? ), slow and apsc => tailored to be affordable
Mirrorless apsc / ff = studio, travel, street, landscape, family and friends

K1 and D500 can't be more different, they are designed to perform for different kind of photography. And regarding AF accuracy for static subject, you may not be able to tell the difference between the two cameras and even the slowest camera may be optimized to be the most accurate.

Regarding a few lenses that you already have (canon , pentax , whatever) , they may not fit well with the new camera and you anyway may end-up having to trade your lenses as well.

So, you first have to decide what type of camera you need (Big fast expensive, small fast cheaper, budget dslr, or pocketable mirrorless).
Then you have to compare offering of each brand for the type of camera you want, including the choice of lenses you can mount on the camera.

05-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

True as @jatrax said. I do pro-work with concerts and events. K-1 AF is not on par with D5 (who is?), but its fast and very accurate. The ISO is nothing to even think about up to 6400. You can get away with 8000- 12 800 too with some NR in post.

But as its also said, you need to have the newest glass..15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 to get 100% out of the new AF system. Im a very happy chap as thing is with the K-1
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thanks for your feedback! I realize I will need the newer glass. What about the auto focus with video? can it track accurately?
05-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I never use AF on video. I think its just 1 or 2 models from Canon that can cope with that..but most dslr's are not good on Video AF..Same with all Nikons too..
05-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for your feedback! I realize I will need the newer glass. What about the auto focus with video? can it track accurately?
Check out the test video, they actually show how the auto focus on video works with a moving object.
05-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I'd recommend renting a K-1 to try out before making a decision except that the rental sites don't seem to have any yet. Compared to the previous Pentax DSLRs the AF on the K-1 is leaps and bounds better but is it as good as the Nikons? Maybe not.
Agree...only way you'll know for sure is to try it.
05-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I did the Nikon thing for a couple of years and dumped all my Pentax equipment. Then I dumped Nikon for a Sony A7RII. That lasted less that ninety days. The Sony interface just wasn't for me...the EVF drove me crazy. I learned my lesson and I am back to Pentax and don't intend on leaving again.
05-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For heaven's sake, in my opinion, if I can't get decent photographs under any conditions out of the K-1 and the latest (or not so latest) glass I have - there wouldn't be a DSLR on the market today able to come to the rescue.
Cheers

(And as always, everybody is entitled to my opinion)
05-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
K1 is not the camera for sports or birding. Better get d 5 or d500.
If you ask about focus it is on par with my d610 but better when focusing on dim light. My d610 can't focus on dark my k1 can.
I use my K-1 for action photography, including birds in flight. See link below.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I'll let the actual owners of the K-1 confirm, but AF speed or accuracy won't be your problem with the K-1, as long as it's anything like the K-3. Your problem will likely be tracking. If you need serious tracking I'm sure the K-1 will be fine, but not amazing. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the K-1, but if I had to go Nikon the D500 would be way overkill and the D750 would probably be a better choice for far less money than the D500.
I've posted about this here.

Over the nearly four weeks that I've had one, I've shot birds in flight on two shoots, motor sports on two shoots (bikes and cars), aircraft in flight at an airshow. (I've also shot some landscapes and people and vintage vehicles).

The K-1 will be out-gunned by top-tier Canons and Nikons, which cost far more and really need top-tier lenses to go with them. I found it useful to change my photography style to cater for some of the lack of capability of the K-1, but it is important not to think of the K-1 as primarily a landscape or studio camera. Yes, of course it does those! But I'm off to another airshow this weekend, and I am confident I'll come back with some pretty impressive "aircraft in flight" photos, and probably no landscapes!

If the primary purpose of a camera is to shoot sports and/or birds in flight, and investment in the best equipment can be accepted, then the K-1 isn't the right camera. But it is a superb all-round camera that can successfully be used for action photography up to a point. Have a look at my photos, via the above link, to get a feeling for what that point is.