Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SHooting Modes

Changing the mode dial seems to have no effect. No matter whether I set it to M, Av, TAv, P, B or anything else it shows an M in the upper left corner. I have locked and unlocked using the button on the left hand side as well as the dial lock on the mode dial. I have done a reset. Nothing seems to make any difference. What am I missing?

05-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Changing the mode dial seems to have no effect. No matter whether I set it to M, Av, TAv, P, B or anything else it shows an M in the upper left corner. I have locked and unlocked using the button on the left hand side as well as the dial lock on the mode dial. I have done a reset. Nothing seems to make any difference. What am I missing?
It might be that camera isn't properly seeing the lens, i.e. lens contacts dirty?
I'm only guessing, but I'd try removing the lens, clean contacts with clean dry cloth, and start again.
By the way, which lens...useful info for troubleshooting.

Cheers,
Terry
05-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It doesn't seem to matter which lens I am using. I've tried it with the DA 50mm f1.8 and the DFA 18-105 with the same result. Turning the mode dial has no effect on what is displayed on either the LCD screen or the viewfinder.
05-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This normally only happens with manual lenses. Is the lens mount dirty or damaged?

Could also be a glitch, so I'd try a settings reset and see if that does the trick.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #5

Hi,

I hope that I don't add further confusion but maybe helpful nevertheless. I remember a thread in a German Pentax forum where a similar issue has been described. After some trials, the guy stated that he now waits for a replacement camera ... another guy stated a similar problem there. Here is a link (link incl. Google translation):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF...tml&edit-text=

I hope for the best with regard to your K-1!

Cheers,
Christoph
05-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SeiKeinFrosch Quote
Hi,

I hope that I don't add further confusion but maybe helpful nevertheless. I remember a thread in a German Pentax forum where a similar issue has been described. After some trials, the guy stated that he now waits for a replacement camera ... another guy stated a similar problem there. Here is a link (link incl. Google translation):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF...tml&edit-text=

I hope for the best with regard to your K-1!

Cheers,
Christoph

Thanks for the link. That is exactly the problem I'm having.

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 01:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This normally only happens with manual lenses. Is the lens mount dirty or damaged?

Could also be a glitch, so I'd try a settings reset and see if that does the trick.

I have reset from the menu several times and I even reflashed the firmware and it made no difference. I cleaned the contacts and tried several lenses which I know work on my K-5 IIs. Nothing seems to help.
05-28-2016, 02:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi dakight,

Is this a problem with the K1?

With mine, the body came with the rotating lock lever for the mode dial in the locked position, so I had to push the button on top to rotate the dial. It was set to AV, which is how I normally shoot, so I didn't change it. I just tried rotating the dial, and in all of the mode positions except M, the rear LCD showed AV -- except the small indicators for U1 through U5 did show. In other words, I couldn't get it to show TV, SV, or TAV, Bulb, X synch, or Program. I unlocked the lever, rotated the dial, and now all the modes showed on the LCD when the dial was rotated. I relocked the lever, and everything still worked fine. Maybe there's some contact that gets stuck in relation to the locking collar or button. Worth tryng. . .

Scott

05-28-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi dakight,

Is this a problem with the K1?

With mine, the body came with the rotating lock lever for the mode dial in the locked position, so I had to push the button on top to rotate the dial. It was set to AV, which is how I normally shoot, so I didn't change it. I just tried rotating the dial, and in all of the mode positions except M, the rear LCD showed AV -- except the small indicators for U1 through U5 did show. In other words, I couldn't get it to show TV, SV, or TAV, Bulb, X synch, or Program. I unlocked the lever, rotated the dial, and now all the modes showed on the LCD when the dial was rotated. I relocked the lever, and everything still worked fine. Maybe there's some contact that gets stuck in relation to the locking collar or button. Worth tryng. . .

Scott

I have operated that lever several times and it makes no difference what position it is in, the dial still doesn't do anything. I've tried it both locked and unlocked.

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 04:07 AM ----------

When I attach a manual lens the camera recognizes that it's a manual lens but it does not ask for focal length input and if I go to the menu to input a focal length that option is grayed out. I'm thinking this one is going to have to go in for repair which is very disappointing.
05-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-3 acted up in a similar way once and the fix was pulling the battery. I don't know if you have tried that yet but it is worth a quick shot. I would take video of the problem with another camera and send it or a link to it with the camera if you send for service.
05-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's going back to Amazon. I considered sending it in for warranty repair but I'm just going to return it. I'll reorder when the refund comes through.
05-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

When I attach a manual lens the camera recognizes that it's a manual lens but it does not ask for focal length input and if I go to the menu to input a focal length that option is grayed out. I'm thinking this one is going to have to go in for repair which is very disappointing.
That is the usual way it works (If I recall correctly) when SR is disabled. So that might be something to check.