Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Likes and Dislikes of the K-1

We've had the K-1 in our possessions now for about 3 weeks. What do you like and dislike about the camera? Here are a few of mine:

+ Electronic levels.
Oh, wow, these are awesome. My head is lopsided or something because I cannot hold it level or vertically straight. This is really helping me get the perspectives right, a huge boon when I'm shooting people with shorter focal lengths that will be more prone to distortion effects.

+ MOAR FA77. I can't believe what this lens can do. It's fantastic. The focal length is so much better here on the K-1 so it's going to get a lot more use...this is a good thing.

- JPEG engine. It's unbelievably bad. How can it be this bad? Seriously. It's almost useless. The results are about 30% of what you can pull out of the RAW in terms of detail, color, and pretty much everything.

- Focus with FA43. I'm having trouble with this. I think it's the lens's poor contrast. In fact, the FA43 is a disappointment for me. Definitely not as good as its two sisters. With some sharpening and a big contrast punch, it gets better but the workflow involved to get good results from the lens is a big higher than I'd like.

05-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
- JPEG engine. It's unbelievably bad. How can it be this bad? Seriously. It's almost useless. The results are about 30% of what you can pull out of the RAW in terms of detail, color, and pretty much everything.
Did you do any jpeg settings? Try film reversal, add sharpness and contrast, use highlight correction, choose a good WB (not AWB), there are plenty of things. That said, I don't even have a K-1 and I almost never shoot jpeg.

Interesting points, though. Good thread
05-28-2016, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Likes . . .

1. Everything but the button customisation.

Dislikes . . .

2. Button customisation limitations.

I wish ALL the buttons were marked, A, B, C, D . . . and you could program them how you want.

Green button becomes AF button;
Playback button becomes Green button;
AF back button becomes AF mode button;
AE-L button is made larger and becomes the Metering mode button;
AF mode button becomes AE-L button;
Metering mode button becomes Playback button;
LV button stays in the same place but 2nd control for fast deletion;
Info button becomes D-pad selector button or D-pad selector button is made larger;
D-pad selector button becomes Info button;
Lock button customised to [Disable/other function].

I find the back button AF too recessed and tricky to reach. It's much better on the battery grip. In future models, perhaps having the AF back button as a pressure sensor in the rear thumb rest might work.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 05-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.
05-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You could post a review.

05-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Likes . . .
Dislikes . . .

2. Button customisation limitations.
This. This is the only thing that strikes me now as a "con". I miss a bunch of those options, particularly 1-button composition adjustment. I use that a whole bunch.
05-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
This. This is the only thing that strikes me now as a "con". I miss a bunch of those options, particularly 1-button composition adjustment. I use that a whole bunch.
It could mostly be sorted in a firmware update.

Also bring back AF-S / AF-C / MF to the physical selector switch.
05-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Likes . . . 1. Everything but the button customisation. Dislikes . . . 2. Button customisation limitations.
I like everything, but I hate the tiny af selection button above the 4 ways controller. Hopefully that will be changed or changeable via firmware otherwise I'll have to live with it until they correct it in the next camera.

05-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I like everything, but I hate the tiny af selection button above the 4 ways controller. Hopefully that will be changed or changeable via firmware otherwise I'll have to live with it until they correct it in the next camera.
It's not a deal breaker, but yes it's not Pentax PerfectTM.
05-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am actually finding this to be very nice. I have mine set to default to AF point selection, so that you have to press the button to get to mode selection. I find that I use the AF point selection about 90% of the time compared to changing shooting modes or white balance or whatever. And changing shooting modes is done deliberately so no problem with hitting the selector button first. Whereas changing the AF point needs to be automatic, while the camera is at my eye.
05-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
We've had the K-1 in our possessions now for about 3 weeks. What do you like and dislike about the camera? Here are a few of mine:

+ Electronic levels.
Oh, wow, these are awesome. My head is lopsided or something because I cannot hold it level or vertically straight. This is really helping me get the perspectives right, a huge boon when I'm shooting people with shorter focal lengths that will be more prone to distortion effects.

+ MOAR FA77. I can't believe what this lens can do. It's fantastic. The focal length is so much better here on the K-1 so it's going to get a lot more use...this is a good thing.

- Focus with FA43. I'm having trouble with this. I think it's the lens's poor contrast. In fact, the FA43 is a disappointment for me. Definitely not as good as its two sisters. With some sharpening and a big contrast punch, it gets better but the workflow involved to get good results from the lens is a big higher than I'd like.
I like the jpegs my K-1 is delivering. Of course, my RAW converter (Dxo Optics) does not support the K-1 yet so I can't say how much "improved" the default RAW images would look. I have my color adjustment set at "natural", BTW. I like the more intimate FOV of the 77mm Ltd on the K-1, especially in the studio. But, for outside locations shots I much prefer the Rokinon 135mm F2. The compression of the Rokinon sometimes is helpful (more flattering) for headshots in the studio, also. While my walk-around lens on the K-5iis was the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, I use the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art on the K-1. The weight of the camera/lens combo is actually less with the K-1/ 35mm 1.4. Of course, now I am walking around with 4 lenses and changing lenses more often . The biggest difference I see with the K-1 is I can shoot in natural light in dim rooms and churches and get usable images. The lower noise of the K-1 is amazing! Whereas I tried to never shoot above 1100 iso on the K-5iis I shoot at 3200 on the K-1 and get cleaner images.
05-28-2016, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The only thing bothering me at the moment is the new position of the playback button. I find myself opening Live View by mistake CONSTANTLY.

Too many likes to list, so I'll list the most pertinent: the return of indoor photography! Wider FOV + better low light sensitivity + improved low light AF = lots of great indoor pics! This is a godsend for those of us with little kids
05-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is my dream camera.who need more.
If I had to complain it is only the tiny bottton left side.
05-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The only thing bothering me at the moment is the new position of the playback button. I find myself opening Live View by mistake CONSTANTLY.
Doing the same thing. I actually like the new placement better, as I use the playback button a lot more than Liveview. And Liveview is a deliberate action, whereas hitting the playback button for a quick look is more automatic and works better with this placement.

I'll get used to it, but it is a bit annoying.
05-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Doing the same thing. I actually like the new placement better, as I use the playback button a lot more than Liveview. And Liveview is a deliberate action, whereas hitting the playback button for a quick look is more automatic and works better with this placement.

I'll get used to it, but it is a bit annoying.
I find the new place much smarter. One hand review, no need to use the left anymore. I have it in my muscle memory already so when taking the K-3 I start review instead of Live View and Live View I can't find

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 01:01 AM ----------

I actually like the new placement, easier to find. But it depends on the size of your hands I guess.

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
The composition thingy I put in the Info menu as a short cut. Really handy this new interface.
05-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I find the new place much smarter. One hand review, no need to use the left anymore. I have it in my muscle memory already so when taking the K-3 I start review instead of Live View and Live View I can't find
Exactly. That is what I was trying to say, not using the left hand is the key. For deliberate actions that's fine but for things that should be 'muscle memory' the placement is much better.

And yeah, switching back to the k-3 is harder than I thought it would be.