Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K1 pixel shift and electronic shutter

The effectiveness of pixel shift require perfectly still conditions, otherwise non pixel shifted image with a bit of sharpening is about as good or better as pixel shifted image. What's cool about pixel shift isn't pixel shift itself, it is the use of electronic shutter (also require a static scene, but less sensitive than the pixel shift method of interpolation). I'd like to see implemented as an option in other camera modes such as HDR, multi-exposure and MLU. Basically, if you enable MLU, or LV, the mirror is already up, could be of interest to also use an electronic shutter. Pixel shift proves that Ricoh can use an electronic shutter for static scenes and pixel shift isn't the only mode where it can be used. Capturing multiexposures of landscape with electronic shutter to simulate a long exposure or ISO lower than 100, or bracketed shots, no ND filter needed anymore, I see it more useful than pixel shift. The problem with mechanical shutter in multishot technique is always some pixel blur due to mechanical motion. IMO, there are still a number of low cost features that Ricoh can implement to enrich their cameras (I'm also thinking of some calibration schemes for lens apertures to have perfect exposure due to uneven apertures from lens to lens), that's essentially software but very valuable to the photographer.

05-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, since it requires no new hardware, it's possible by firmware upgrade, I suppose, which is interesting.
05-31-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your argument would hold if pixel shift only brought extra sharpness. But it also brings better colour accuracy and depth. Saying that you can achieve equality to a pixel-shifted image by just sharpening a non-PS one is simply not true.
05-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does rather beg the question of why they didn't use the electronic shutter for other applications - they must have thought of it and rejected it by my logic - they seem to have put a lot of thought in the camera, and rejected things like other crops, which didn't work as they wanted them to. The main difference of course between HDR and pixel-shift is that the shutter-speeds are different between exposures in HDR - I'm no engineer, but I can understand theoretically that where there is a difference there is a potential problem - but please prove me wrong anyone who knows better

06-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are still some issues regarding image quality and the appearance of image artifacts due to the use of electronic shutters. Personally I think Global shutters would eliminate a lot of issues that occur with rolling shutters - and going global would also allow us to break the X-sync barrier.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm also thinking of some calibration schemes for lens apertures to have perfect exposure due to uneven apertures from lens to lens
Out of curiosity, how do you intend to accomplish this?
06-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Out of curiosity, how do you intend to accomplish this?
I noticed LV exposure is better than exposure done when using internal light meter, the difference being that during LV the lens aperture is stopped, but when using the optical viewfinder the ligtht is metered wide open. For instance, there is a difference of 0.4ev between my Tamron 17-50 and the DFA24-70. Calibration would be done to correct lens aperture error by a sequence of stop down metering with LV and with the AE light meter, once the exposure effect of lens aperture error is measured it is stored in memory and calibration isn't needed anymore (same idea as what Nikon are doing to calibrate AF using both LV and PDAF).

There are still some issues regarding image quality and the appearance of image artifacts due to the use of electronic shutters.
Yes, I fully agree, so in my post I wrote that Ricoh could still implement an electronic shutter version for static scenes (when there is no motion, rolling shutter does not create artifacts, that's how it is used in pixel shift mode).

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Saying that you can achieve equality to a pixel-shifted image by just sharpening a non-PS one is simply not true.
Well, it's not fully true that sharpening and PS is the same. I did the experiment and I found the difference between sharpening and pixel shift is very very slim versus the practical "cost" of pixel shift. For pixel shift I need a tripod and I have to process a 100Mbyte file, for a single shot I need nothing. So, my experience with pixel shift is that the benefit is very very slim.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 10:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, since it requires no new hardware, it's possible by firmware upgrade, I suppose, which is interesting.
Yes, that also what I thought.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-01-2016 at 01:38 AM.
06-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed LV exposure is better than exposure done when using internal light meter, the difference being that during LV the lens aperture is stopped, but when using the optical viewfinder the ligtht is metered wide open.
This is an intrinsic issue with internal TTL light metering systems in SLR cameras, and has little to do with lenses. Most SLR cameras measure exposure off the ground glass*. Complaining about a 0.4EV differential between two f/2.8 zoom lenses designed for different sensor formats shouldn't be alarming, but expected.

*Off The Film metering was a interesting bypath - Certain Pentax,Minolta and Olympus cameras had this capability. OTF metering was freakishly accurate but difficult to implement due to limited space in camera mirror boxes - it is said to be impossible to implement with current digital sensors, which reflect too much light.

06-01-2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
it is said to be impossible to implement with current digital sensors, which reflect too much light.
I also forgot, yes, some light lost by reflection on the sensor, if so, LV metering and cal factors into a look up table for AE sensor metering would be an improvement. 0.4ev isn't much, except for people looking at the best possible exposure to gain dynamic range with lighting in uneven. What I don't know is if DSLR already correct for Tstops based in lens ID and typical Tstop values versus aperture.
06-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Your argument would hold if pixel shift only brought extra sharpness. But it also brings better colour accuracy and depth. Saying that you can achieve equality to a pixel-shifted image by just sharpening a non-PS one is simply not true.
+1. Also noticeably better high ISO and overall noise improvement.
06-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if DSLR already correct for Tstops based in lens ID and typical Tstop values versus aperture.
They don't.