Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem with K-1 and D FA 28-105?

I received a K-1 for Father's Day and I bought a D FA 28-105 (both from B & H) this week. Out of the box on the first day, the K-1 performed flawlessly. Took pictures with FF (Pentax 50mm and 100mm) and crop (Pentax 17-70) lenses. No auto focus issues. Then I mounted the D FA 28-105 that came today and I couldn't get the it to auto focus. I put my Pentax DA 17-70 crop lens and it would not auto focus either (it worked yesterday). The only way to get either lens to auto focus was to push the AF button. When I tried to use the 4 way control, I couldn't see it--apparently it is disabled. I had no problems with the controller the day before. (I did a firmware update to the K-1 the day I received it.)

Is there an issue with the D FA 28-105 causing problems with the K-1 that are carried over onto other lens? Do I have a corrupted K-1? I see others have had some problems with the D FA 28-105 lens--but different than this (see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/324298-new-k-1-died-after-few-shots.html )

Any idea what to do prior to returning both?

Steve Schweizer

06-24-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an awesome present!

Check to see that your camera controls aren't locked. The lock button is found on the side of the camera, above the Fx1/RAW button.

Check your button customization settings, as it's possible to uncouple the AF from the shutter button half-press.

Also, the 4-way controller switches between AF point selection and access to various sub-menus. Press the AF point selection button just above the 4-way controller to swap its function.

Most likely, you've got the lock function enabled. Don't panic!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What an awesome present!

Check to see that your camera controls aren't locked. The lock button is found on the side of the camera, above the Fx1/RAW button.

Check your button customization settings, as it's possible to uncouple the AF from the shutter button half-press.

Also, the 4-way controller switches between AF point selection and access to various sub-menus. Press the AF point selection button just above the 4-way controller to swap its function.

Most likely, you've got the lock function enabled. Don't panic!
Thanks for your help, Adam. I got it working again (and with the 28-105 lens). FYI the camera was unlocked. I reset all Custom and Record values to default. The Custom default values themselves did not solve my problem. When I changed all the Record values (with Custom values at default) everything worked again. I'll have to find out what Record setting caused my problem.
06-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenLS Quote
Thanks for your help, Adam. I got it working again (and with the 28-105 lens). FYI the camera was unlocked. I reset all Custom and Record values to default. The Custom default values themselves did not solve my problem. When I changed all the Record values (with Custom values at default) everything worked again. I'll have to find out what Record setting caused my problem.
Could have been the AF button customization setting, and I believe that's in the record menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: