Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Kai (DigitalRev TV) reviews the K-1 - NSFW

Since the Tony Northrop review thread is running its course you can now beat on Kai's review from DigitalRev TV

NSFW because of language an object used in Pixel Shift segment.

06-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, yeah, language is usually rather profane in Digital Rev videos, at least when Kai is present. And it is far from a professional, objective review channel. But they still have a large audience. Will view the video soon, thanks for sharing
06-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Love the Nikon strap

The weight I understand, but I don't see the reason for the bulk complaint. The D810 dwarfs the K-1 and the Canon 5DII not quite so much but still bigger. And when all three have their 24-70/2.8 lenses mounted, both weight and bulk is pretty much a wash.

"made for Aspergers by Aspergers"???
I have to agree a bit though. I am not fond of the extra dial(s) and would readily consider a "light" version lacking the feature should one ever become available.

As for the rear LCD, he apparently missed the on-axis part of the design, though I would be just as happy with a straight tilt up.

The pixel-shift segment is way over the top...Kai has finally jumped the shark...

Finally, somebody should buy Kai a new tripod...and teach him how to use it.

Steve
06-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think there was some backhanded praise in there. He's a strange one.

06-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, yeah, language is usually rather profane in Digital Rev videos
It ain't the language...it is the err...prop...

Steve
06-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When I saw the tripod fully extended on the beach with waves rolling in I thought to myself that that doesn't look safe, two seconds later it tips over and the camera falls head down in wet sand, without a lens on. I imagine that whoever loaned him that camera isn't to happy about that.
06-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
two seconds later it tips over and the camera falls head down in wet sand, without a lens on
I think that was intentional...?

06-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Well, flinging a dildo around and letting female passers-by see that will surely provoke some reactions.

But what the ... (don't know how they handle straight language here, so I better omit that) ... what the heck has that video to do with a review of a camera?

Accidentially tipping over a tripod with a SLR that has no lens mounted? On a beach?!

Some people apparently have too much money.

Or the owner of the camera, who lent it for the production of that video is sure to have a "nice" surprise.
06-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think that was intentional...?
No way.
Had there been a lens on so maybe.
06-27-2016, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The guy is a clown / troll and I guess that's what makes him "special" or memorable, if you wish. I am not really sure if he takes himself seriously. The "review" has some interesting points, but is uninformative for the most part.
06-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
It doesn't matter if he takes his self serious but rather if you do or not. Apparently you do from the name calling.
06-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I am not taking him seriously, but you cannot deny the fact that he is fooling around more often than not and makes rather controversial / provocative statements. Please note, that I did not say that it is good or bad, I just stated the facts.
06-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #13
CDW
Site Supporter

Another individual, like Ken Rockwell, who specializes in creating click bait. If I want a serious review, I'll read it here or Imaging-Resource and DPR. I value the comments of users here rather than those spewed from some frustrated wannabe stand up comic.
06-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
If I want a serious review... ...DPR
Might be serious but biased anti-Pentax...
06-27-2016, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Eh, what bothers me with those videos is not the vulgarity and jokes, but that real information gets lost. For example, did he use pixel shift correctly? We know that not all raw software will work with it correctly.
And he said there is no way to turn off the LCD display - is this true? On Pentax DSLRs you can select the brightness and colour of the LCD, and you can usually turn it off by pressing the Info button a couple times.
The LED guide lights are actually useful and a very innovative step.
He mentions that the K-1 is big and chunky, but what about the other FF DSLR flagships? D800, D810, 5DIII... none of them are very small. And the K-1 is not just an entry level FF, as we can see with its advanced features and high quality sensor.
He mentions "there are too many buttons" - but how often do Canikon users wish there were more buttons? The Green button is handy, the other buttons and customization is great, unless you are the kind of person that wants full automation. In that case, why buy a high end DSLR at all? Just use a smartphone or a bridge camera...

And the "humour" buries all of these mistakes and prevents replies, discussion.