Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

the gods must be crazy and i am probably too

just ordered a sigma 50 -500 (from japan) for my fantastic k1. i know i know. 1. im crazy and 2 ordering it from japan.i do feel a little safer since its through amazon. to make it EVEN crazier if at all possible is that i plan to use it for my walk around lens,..the reason i ordered it from japan is that i save about $500. it should take several weeks but thats ok. please, please, please. SOMEONE say im not nuts ( just a little cracked)
fred from nashville

07-23-2016, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrfredsporty Quote
just ordered a sigma 50 -500 (from japan) for my fantastic k1. i know i know. 1. im crazy and 2 ordering it from japan.i do feel a little safer since its through amazon. to make it EVEN crazier if at all possible is that i plan to use it for my walk around lens,..the reason i ordered it from japan is that i save about $500. it should take several weeks but thats ok. please, please, please. SOMEONE say im not nuts ( just a little cracked)
fred from nashville
Not crazy at all. You've got yourself a normal to tele photo lens on FF. Although I can imagine it will take a while to get from Japan. Good luck with your new lens all the best Lee
07-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

How did you save that much through Amazon?

Sorry, you're crazy... Don't ask questions you don't want answers to...

Post some photo's with your k1 when you get it...
07-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
How did you save that much through Amazon?

Sorry, you're crazy... Don't ask questions you don't want answers to...

Post some photo's with your k1 when you get it...
thanks, i think. at least it verifies that i AM nuts.

07-23-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is Nutsville a suburb of Nashville?
07-23-2016, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am interested to hear your review of the lens when it arrives. Ordering from Japan is not crazy if there are no warranty concerns and you don't mind waiting a while. I have not yet found a Japanese dealer who was not a pleasure to do business with.
07-23-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on the Sigma, I'm sure you'll get fantastic results with it

I'd love to buy from Japan, and I'd have no problems doing so - but we get hit with import duties and handling charges here in the UK for Japanese imports. I've ordered a few smaller items from there before when I had no other option, and the import duty made it considerably more expensive. I guess we must have different trade agreements to the US...

07-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ive bought used gear from Japan, from quite a few different sellers.All good, always as described.
07-23-2016, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #9

Rupert & Otis think you’re smart.
07-27-2016, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congratulations on the Sigma, I'm sure you'll get fantastic results with it

I'd love to buy from Japan, and I'd have no problems doing so - but we get hit with import duties and handling charges here in the UK for Japanese imports. I've ordered a few smaller items from there before when I had no other option, and the import duty made it considerably more expensive. I guess we must have different trade agreements to the US...
Although now we have the opportunity to strike our own trade deals with Japan...
07-27-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fred from nashville
I've used my Bigma and my 18-55 Kit lens as my walk about kit for years now. It is a heavy load but it hasn't bothered me at all. I've carried it around for 6-8 hours at a time. I will continue to do this with the K1 the same as I've done with my K10D, KX and K7. The Bigma is so versatile. You can use it as a landscape lens, a portrait lens and a wildlife and sports lens. I've even shot flowers with it even though it is far from being a Macro lens. The better ISO with the K1 makes it even more usable. Just be prepared for the weight. it will be a hefty load. I'm 6'2" and near 300 lbs. so for me it is not a burden. For some it is just too heavy. Have fun with it and post some shots as soon as possible. We will be looking forward to it.

As to being crazy....Well you do shoot with Pentax.......Don't you?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
KODAK DX6490 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA  Photo 
07-30-2016, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
fred from nashville
holy moly its here!!!!! i just ordered my sigma bigmos from japan thru amazon ($998 new) on july 23. it was scheduled for between august 19 and september. botta bing. its here ( a few minutes ago) on a saturday by usps. first impression: its HUGE!!!!!!much bigger than i thought. im going to take a few pics this coming week and post a few ( remember im a rookie) very heavy. what ive done for a strap which i think is different than most folks is to use a serious wrist strap attached to the CAMERA base and carrying it by the lens handle. much more comfy and evens out the stress. im very excited and overwhelmed by this huge ass lens.im going to force myself to use this as my "walk around"
07-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

holy moly its here!!!!!
Congratulations! Wow, that *was* fast!

what ive done for a strap which i think is different than most folks is to use a serious wrist strap attached to the CAMERA base and carrying it by the lens handle.
Don't drop it, for heaven's sake - it'll pull your arm out of its socket!!!

Let us know how you get on!
07-30-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congratulations! Wow, that *was* fast!

Don't drop it, for heaven's sake - it'll pull your arm out of its socket!!!

Let us know how you get on!
i should modify my statement from walkaround lens to drag around lens..
07-30-2016, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 150-500 and don't see how you could use it as a walkaround unless accompanied by a mule team. 😀