Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 Focusing Issues

I am having an issue and was wondering if other are having similar experiences. My K-1 sometimes focuses on what is behind my subject, rather than the subject (the intended focus) itself. This is especially an issue, and frustrating, if the intended object to be focused on is somewhat smaller. I think that it would be obvious to an AF system, but perhaps it is not.

07-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The AF collimators cover an area larger and even beyond the bound of the little squares marked in the view finder. If the subject is too small compared to the actual area of the focus point, you may miss the target and focus on something else.
07-24-2016, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I think that it would be obvious to an AF system, but perhaps it is not.
Perhaps it's a case of one of the items in pic related (from Nikon D4 manual):
07-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you using the single point focus mode? I recommend that mode if you want total control over the focus target. I use this mode most of the time and move the location of the single point as needed depending on my subject.

07-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps it's a case of one of the items in pic related (from Nikon D4 manual):
Thanks for the instructions. I wish Pentax's instructions were as clear and informational.

---------- Post added 07-24-2016 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Are you using the single point focus mode? I recommend that mode if you want total control over the focus target. I use this mode most of the time and move the location of the single point as needed depending on my subject.
I tried different focus point modes. Still having trouble though. I will confirm again.

---------- Post added 07-24-2016 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The AF collimators cover an area larger and even beyond the bound of the little squares marked in the view finder. If the subject is too small compared to the actual area of the focus point, you may miss the target and focus on something else.
Maybe that's it. I put the square on the what I want to focus on, and it could just be too small for the AF to discern.
07-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote

Maybe that's it. I put the square on the what I want to focus on, and it could just be too small for the AF to discern.
All DSLRs want you to focus on a line, DCpilot - not an area.