Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

has anyone fired up the sigma bigmos 50-500 with the k1

i just ordered this humongous lens from japan and it should arrive in a couple of weeks. not sure if anyone else has fired up this monster with the k1 yet.
fred from nashville

07-25-2016, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rupert
07-25-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrfredsporty Quote
i just ordered this humongous lens from japan and it should arrive in a couple of weeks. not sure if anyone else has fired up this monster with the k1 yet.
fred from nashville
There are a few members using either this lens or the 150-500 on the K-1. From what I have seen and heard it is a very good match. I use the 50-500 on my K3. Maybe someday I can get the K-1. The improved autofocus and higher ISO capabilities of the K-1 really seem to make a difference.
07-25-2016, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As someone noted, Rupert has been posting K1 + 50~500 SIgma images for some weeks. Find the "Post your K1 images" thread and work backwards from the last page.

BTW: I used my Bigma originally on a ZX5n, *ist, and LX before moving it onto a K10D, K20D, K5D and finally a K3, but it went to another Pentaxian when the 150~450 came and before I purchased a K1. It was satisfactory on all the cameras listed, but I think the 150~450mm is better, especially at the long end.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-02-2017 at 04:21 PM.
07-25-2016, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I use a Sigma 150-500 DG OS with my K-3II. It does very well.
07-25-2016, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As someone noted, Rupert has been posting K1 + 50~500 SIgma images for some weeks. Find the "Post your K1 images" thread and work backwards from the last page.
I wonder what he's been taking pictures of?
07-25-2016, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #7

fred from nashville

I've owned this lens since around 2006. I've used it with a K10D, A KX and a K7. I have yet to put it on my K1. That should come sometime soon. You will not be disappointed with it but please understand it is not just a point and shoot lens. It takes some time to get used to the longer focal length. I shoot almost exclusively hand held and do quite well. I do recommend that you try it that way but a tripod helps most that try one. I'll post you some photos as soon as I shoot them. Do not forget the short end as at 50mm it is a nice portrait lens.

07-25-2016, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

50-500 HSM works great on my K-1! No issues.

01-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone has shot this lens on a K-1 for indoor sports. I am considering it to shoot sports such as indoor basketball and volleyball. Wondering if it would be necessary to bump up the ISO to 6400 or if it could handle it a bit lower and still keep a reasonable (1/500th +) shutter speed? Any experiences would be appreciated!
01-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickC Quote
I was wondering if anyone has shot this lens on a K-1 for indoor sports. I am considering it to shoot sports such as indoor basketball and volleyball. Wondering if it would be necessary to bump up the ISO to 6400 or if it could handle it a bit lower and still keep a reasonable (1/500th +) shutter speed? Any experiences would be appreciated!
You want to start a new thread since this several months old. I have seen people do outdoors sports with the 50-500. Indoors however would be a completely different situation. ISO6400 may be the lowest you go to keep your shutter speed up. It really is not a lens geared towards sports. I would say it really depends on the lighting. Using my 70-200 at f4 I have tough time keeping my ISO below 3200 indoors.
01-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
fred from nashville
well, ive had my bigma for a few months now. here is my updated feeling about it. its too damn big....BUT....it will really bring "it" in. now that ive moved to daytona it really comes in handy. im still learning it and how to handle it. i wish it was the size (and weight) of my 105 but it is a definite performer and bad boy.everywhere i go folks think im a pro because of the HUGE size of it. dont quite love it yet, but almost....
01-08-2017, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

fred from nashville
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Rupert
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As someone noted, Rupert has been posting K1 + 50~500 SIgma images for some weeks.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I wonder what he's been taking pictures of?
Reckon he shoots any squirrels????

So late in seeing this thread...sorry! Yes I shoot mostly with the K1 + 50-500 Bigme HSM OS.

Almost every shot here is with that combination.
Pentax K1 | Flickr

I hope you are patient, so many are not and get discouraged with the Bigma. It does take some time to get adjusted to it and learn to use it to your best advantage, but once done, it is so much fun! I use the Pentax SR and not the Sigma OS...I think the SR is better...and it is faster.

All my shots are handheld, I never use a tripod, though that would surely give better results at times. You have to practice the various ways of handholding and bracing with the Bigma, but it can be achieved fairly easily.

BTW- Unlike previous Pentax bodies where the Bigma hunts for focus like a blind hound, the K1 is amazingly fast and accurate....a real joy ! Wonderful fun!

Good luck and hope you find as much joy as I have from Bigma shooting!

Rupert...and yep, I shoot squirrels!

On the Peanut Tree licking up the peanut butter sap.....
01-08-2017, 04:26 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Here is one I just Bigma shot with the K1 right at dusk......pretty little girlie Cardinal.

1/160 handheld ISO 800 f6.3 @ 500mm

A Bigma/K1 tip that might help......You can get better focus accuracy with the K1/Bigma if you activate the rear AF button, turn on Continuous -High. Hold the rear AF button down for focus then fully press the shutter button...quickly for one shot or longer for multiple shots.

I shoot wide open a lot and focus can be tricky at 6.3....this seems to help a bit.

Regards!
01-09-2017, 03:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Here is one I just Bigma shot with the K1 right at dusk......pretty little girlie Cardinal.

1/160 handheld ISO 800 f6.3 @ 500mm

A Bigma/K1 tip that might help......You can get better focus accuracy with the K1/Bigma if you activate the rear AF button, turn on Continuous -High. Hold the rear AF button down for focus then fully press the shutter button...quickly for one shot or longer for multiple shots.

I shoot wide open a lot and focus can be tricky at 6.3....this seems to help a bit.

Regards!
as always, words of true usable wisdom from rupert....would love to see a dedicated tutorial on using the bigma and k1 combo.
thanks fred from daytona (formerly fred from nashville)
01-09-2017, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Reckon he shoots any squirrels????
Very occasionally!