Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1 now missing sync port cover

Is it going to be possible to replace the cap that covers the sync port? It's at an awkward location for me and it kept coming loose whenever I took the camera out of the case. I've now managed to lose it entirely somewhere.

Also, I wonder how much not having it would affect the weather resistance.

It would be nice to know if I will be able to get another one when I finally get home at the end of August.

07-28-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Probably quite a bit, since that part of the camera relies on the external flap as the seal.

It would be nice to know if I will be able to get another one when I finally get home at the end of August.
I would assume that Precision has these readily available. That said, I'm not sure they'll fork one over, let alone install it for less than their standard repair fee. Would be worth sending them an e-mail IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know on mine the mic cover will not stay shut. Since from what I understand you synch with that I figured that's what OP was talking about.
07-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

mine is the same way...very loose..maybe i should tape it shut

07-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If that's the case it's a standard part and is like a buck on ebay.
Threaded versions compatible with Pentax? That is good to know.

Steve
07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A few months back I bought 2 sync port covers for my eos-1v film camera. One for backup. Couple bucks from a website I came across that was like a land of tiny camera parts. I doubt the k1 has stuff there yet. I'll try to find the website and post it here.
07-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

does anybody ever use the x- sync socket any more when any el cheapo wireless trigger will do? The only time I hear about is when someone manages to loose the screw cap. I can't even get it of with my fingers.

07-28-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
does anybody ever use the x- sync socket any more when any el cheapo wireless trigger will do? The only time I hear about is when someone manages to loose the screw cap. I can't even get it of with my fingers.
Although these cheapo wireless options are more and more reliable, this wired connection is pretty much guaranteed to work without a miss and needs no batteries to function. And this did sound old school after I re-read it.
07-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter

If you dont use it, you can distort the plastic threads a bit with pliers (Gently) so as to make it harder to seat and less likely to fall off.

These are cheap standard parts.

Eric
08-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't had a chance to look up what it will cost, almost no internet on my travels. But thanks for the info, I'm being careful in the rain I've seen almost every day for the past month. I'll be heading home the end of the month.
09-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Threaded versions compatible with Pentax? That is good to know.

Steve
have yet to find one for less than $5.
In fact, there is one for sale on Amazon for $59! https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Socket-Cap-Digital-SLR/dp/B001UHNVEO

M
09-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
In fact, there is one for sale on Amazon for $59! Amazon.com : Pentax PC Socket Cap for K7 Digital SLR : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo

M
Not good to know.

Many folk wish that Pentax had used the same thread as on Nikon, but Nooooo...

Steve
09-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
In fact, there is one for sale on Amazon for $59! https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Socket-Cap-Digital-SLR/dp/B001UHNVEO

M
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not good to know.

Many folk wish that Pentax had used the same thread as on Nikon, but Nooooo...

Steve
CR Kennedy in Australia have them for only $8.47 AU

Ricoh Imaging | SYNCHRO TERMINAL 2P CAP

Steve
09-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Is it going to be possible to replace the cap that covers the sync port? It's at an awkward location for me and it kept coming loose whenever I took the camera out of the case. I've now managed to lose it entirely somewhere.

I'd call Joe Virgil at Pentax in Denver if they/he is still there and tell him what's up and ask nicely for one. If he's got one he will probably send you one. I called him once about a cracked lens hood on a new 50-135 which arrived in that condition and he sent me a new hood. Didn't even ask for the old one back.

I think this is the number: 1-800-234-0276

But I also heard a rumor that Pentax Denver was shut down too... so I don't know.
09-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If anyone finds these covers at a reasonable price, could they please ping me up? I'm after 3

Thx