Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Electronic Shutter

Does the K1 has some sort of electronic shutter?
Thanks
Jorge.

08-25-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It does in Pixel-Shift mode. Other than that, no. Kind of shame.
08-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll be waiting to the implementation, maybe they can do it via firmware, if not I'll have to wait to the next iteration, I think is very important, at least first curtain, in order to unleash the full potential of the sensor IQ
08-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I presume there's a reason why it hasn't been implemented outside of pixel shift, but I've no idea what that might be. There are several situations in which it could be quite useful, including where vibration sources need to be minimised. The fact that it is used in pixel shift means a firmware implementation is possible. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable to speculate on why we don't have it now.

08-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

D810 using the same sensor has EFCS in Mirror Up -mode. But then one can guess if it is really the same sensor. As A7R1 from Sony does not have EFCS either ("same" 36MP chip). Standard A7 mk1 had one.
08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess would be that they'll add it in the next model. It's a nice feature to have, but not critical.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not that critical with large mass body but very critical in Sony's MILC offerings. D810 also makes good use of it when shutter speed is between 1/100 and 1 second when using longer lenses.

08-25-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
An electronic curtain that maintains sensor IQ is hard to implement. With a physical shutter, the sensor sits in total darkness and the pixels can be kept at near zero charge so that they can more accurately measure very low levels of light. But if the physical shutter is kept open, the sensor is just one giant solar cell. The electronic shutter circuitry attempts to drain off that excess charge but it's never perfect.

An electronic shutter can work relatively well for Pixel-Shift mode because: 1) the time the sensor spends in the light before the next exposure is pretty short (under 1/4 second), and 2) the adjacent pixel location is probably of similar brightness to the first location so any slight smearing from imperfect draining of the charge isn't going to be as noticeable. It can also work well in the way Nikon uses it on the D810 as part of mirror-up mode, non-liveview shooting in which the sensor is only exposed to excess light for about 1/250 of second during which the camera is almost stationary.
08-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

Electronic shutters come into their own in timelapse photography, where a few long timelapse shoots can substantially erode your mechanical shutter lifespan. Mechanical shutters are said to have (slightly) less consistent exposure times too, adding to timelapse flicker. So yes, please Pentax, introduce electronic shutter if you can.
09-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But if the physical shutter is kept open, the sensor is just one giant solar cell. The electronic shutter circuitry attempts to drain off that excess charge but it's never perfect.
Well put...well put indeed

Steve
09-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
D810 also makes good use of it when shutter speed is between 1/100 and 1 second when using longer lenses.
I have some familiarity with the D810 and knew that EFC is available in Mup mode, but was unaware it is used in other situations. Is that an undocumented feature?

Steve
09-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
An electronic curtain that maintains sensor IQ is hard to implement.

Yeah, there are plenty of P&S cameras without mechanical shutters, but we bought DSLRs for image quality and we need to know the design suits, without artefacts or lag:

Electronic VS mechanical shutter | JuzaPhoto

http://m43photo.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/gh3-electronic-shutter.html
09-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, there are plenty of P&S cameras without mechanical shutters, but we bought DSLRs for image quality and we need to know the design suits, without artefacts or lag:

Electronic VS mechanical shutter | JuzaPhoto

Micro 4/3rds Photography: GH3 electronic shutter
Oh, my! That article on the GH3 electronic shutter is an eye opener. Thanks for the links.

Steve
09-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have some familiarity with the D810 and knew that EFC is available in Mup mode, but was unaware it is used in other situations. Is that an undocumented feature?

Steve
My bad, I meant that there is a benefit of using EFCS with D810 with such exposure times.