Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metz 52 AF-1 compatibiltiy report

So I've found 2 things so far that the Metz 52 AF-1 doesn't do on the K-1.

1.) The lcd on the back of the flash doesn't light when the shutter is half pressed. (It does with my K3II.)

2.) The red AF illuminator focus aid beam doesn't light up. (It does on my K3II)

I make no claims as to having everything set correctly. I just learned a few minutes ago how to turn on the movie mode!

The flash exposures seem to be very nice. And I did upgrade the Firmware on the flash to v. 1.3 Camera FW was 1.30.

The Metz 52 AF-1 is my go to wedding flash these days, been doing great service this season.

10-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to test this, I honestly did not notice any performance change between the K-3 and K-1, but I have not looked for the two things you mentioned.

Metz are usually pretty active and will upgrade their flashes when needed. I recommend you communicate your findings with them straight away, and maybe they will upgrade the firmware of the flash.

I'd test it this evening but my K-1 is across the ocean for a few days...
10-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's a reply I got after writing to Metz:

QuoteQuote:
Basically the flash unit mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital for Pentax also can be used together with the digital-camera Pentax K-1. However, this flash unit is equipped with an autofocus-measuring beam comparable to the Pentax flash units AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ. Unfortunately the Pentax K-1 isn’t equipped with the control of such autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit. Therefore the AF-measuring beam of the flash unit mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital and also of the Pentax flash units AF540FGZ respectively AF360FGZ isn’t controlled by this camera. Normally the Pentax K-1 works with the built-in AF-measuring beam in that case. This also can’t be changed by the firmware of the external flash unit.
I'll have to see if there's a way to set the camera so the green beam shoots when a flash is mounted.