Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

macro and portrait lens

Good evening everyone, in your experience which lens between the Pentax-D FA 100mm f / 2.8 Macro WR and the Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Di is the most versatile for macro and portrait. I know that the macro lenses are particularly sharp, and that's good but for portrait may be an issue, so I was wondering which of the two could be defined suitable not only for macro but also for portraits.

thanks

10-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

aperture blades

hi, as an owner of both (sold back the tamron):
the Pentax has rounded aperture blades, the Tamron's are straight. Transition & bokeh are more pleasent for me on the Pentax.
the Pentax is really really better looking. For portrait work, it's a plus.
the Pentax has faster AF.
the Pentax is WR, so even if you don't use it under rain, it should resist more in time.
the Pentax is lighter and smaller and has less elements.
the Pentax has the AF quickshift, not a plastic focus limiter knob.

Hope you'll greatly enjoy your new Pentax Macro WR 100mm 2.8
10-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's interesting how views on the same lenses can differ...

I've had the DFA100 for some time now, and really like it a lot. But recently I picked up the Tamron in Sony A-mount for my other system, and in my view it is every bit as good as the Pentax, overall. Not *quite* as sharp wide open, but still lovely for portraiture, with nice bokeh. Build quality isn't quite as good, but the focus limit feature is extremely helpful, improving the AF experience considerably. Manual focusing is nicer, in my view - smooth, with a little more resistance.

I'd have a hard time choosing between the two lenses. Both are great. Right now, I'm enjoying the Tamron more, even though the Pentax is technically a very slightly better lens optically...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-26-2016 at 11:26 AM.
10-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing to keep in mind is that macro lenses tend to be very sharp and shows every skin blemish. In addition, they most often have a max of f 2.8. For portraits I like f2 or larger with a softer feel. Unless the skin is flawless, a softer lens can really cut down on PP time.

10-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Build quality isn't quite as good, but the focus limit feature is extremely helpful, improving the AF experience considerably.
I find this to be the main weakness of the DFA 100mm. And lack of aperture ring (can be needed if you want to use it on older film SLR or with manual bellows/tubes). If it had this, it would be perfect! That said, some of the older Pentax 100mm macro lenses have different features, but don't look as beautiful
Regarding which lens is better for portraiture, I don't know. I only have the DFA 100mm and don't really take portraits. It has nice bokeh, though, rounded aperture blades. And QS is very useful (especially along with focus peaking and digital zoom in live view)

So I would always recommend the DFA 100mm WR if you can live with the two above mentioned weaknesses. It is such a good lens that it will be acceptable for portraits as well, especially the "documentary" style portraits (As opposed to "artsy"). I do all kinds of medium telephoto photos with it, even landscapes and things like that. It just stuns with its contrasts, sharpness

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-26-2016 at 11:49 AM.
10-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
there's also the d-fa 50mm macro... can't go wrong with the 50 or 100... i don't know what camera you have though.
10-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The non-wr DFA 100 has an aperture ring if one is needed.

Longer working distance makes the f2.8 more reasonable than it might seem. Position your subject closer to you and farther from background if you have control of this to enhance the background blur.

My experience is with the F and D FA 100 WR versions. No use of the 90mm. I can say they work really well for some portraits but can be overly sharp which of course you can adjust in post. But adding work to the workflow is a pain.

10-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always scratch my head when I read that a lens is too sharp for portraiture. I guess I'm a dinosaur. Back in my film days, if you wanted a soft effect for portraits you either screwed on a diffusion filter or you set the lens slightly out-of-focus. Is that really out of the question these days? You can always make a sharp lens take soft pictures, so I'll take all the sharpness I can get for when I need it.

Anybody want to rent my diffusion filter? 8¬)
10-26-2016, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I always scratch my head when I read that a lens is too sharp for portraiture.
Agree. Much better IMHO to get the sharpest picture possible (really bring the eyes and details in the hair alive, for instance) and tone down anything else in post. With a portrait you've already got to do *lots* of other things to it - dodging, burning, healing, teeth whitening - to be flattering.

I took this with the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro and of course, for rendering, it's your lighting that is soft or hard ... frosted windows in this case:

Last edited by clackers; 10-26-2016 at 04:34 PM.
10-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stefanor Quote
Good evening everyone, in your experience which lens between the Pentax-D FA 100mm f / 2.8 Macro WR and the Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Di is the most versatile for macro and portrait. I know that the macro lenses are particularly sharp, and that's good but for portrait may be an issue, so I was wondering which of the two could be defined suitable not only for macro but also for portraits.

thanks
You've left out the Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro in your selection which ticks all the boxes for a good macro lens...............Build quality.............sharpness............fast focusing and it also has a limiter switch. Worth your time to read the reviews on it.
10-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think you're on K-1, right? If so, I think it's a tossup. Quickshift vrs limiter. Slightly nicer finish on the D-FA WR but aperture ring on the Tamron. Both very light and compact. If you were on APS-C, I'd say 100mm is getting just a little long for portraiture, depending on how much space you have, but on K-1 I don't think it should be a problem. Because the Tamron has been available for other mounts, there's a lot of IMHO fantastic and easy to find work out there using it, even for portraiture (example #1, example #2). I think on Pentax, because it's a smaller crowd and people tend to go more for the FA77 or the FA85 (or DA70, or...), and because the K-1 (where 100mm is a more friendly portrait focal length) is just out, you won't find as much fantastic portraiture with the 100mm macro out there. But it's not for lack of capability.

For macro, it kind of depends on the answer to this question: tubes or diopters? If you ever want to go larger than lifesize, the Tamron is easier with tubes because of the aperture ring, and the Pentax is a tad better with diopters, because of its slightly longer focal length and absence of focus breathing. For example, with a Raynox DCR-250 on top of your macro lens, you get up to 1.7:1 with the Tamron, but 2:1 with the Pentax. Again, though, it's pretty much a tossup...
10-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might also consider the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro, if you could find one. It's a superb lens, as seen in the revews.

Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong I to love a sharp lens. My DA* 50-135 is my favorite portrait lens. I tend to relate to things in the concept of weddings. The last thing you want to do is correct in post. When you end up with 2 or 3 hundred portraits per wedding you have to think in terms of minimizing skin softening. Your focus becomes minor adjustments so you can finish and refit for the next weekend. Don't get me going in the case of 2 or 3 weddings in a week. On the rare occasion I get to shoot a portrait session or shoot with models I still shoot my 50-135.
10-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, I'm a K-1 proud owner (K-1 thread isn't it :-)) ...
thanks for all the valuable answers ... I think working in post-production to soften the performance of a lens is not really my ideal workflow. But I also understand that each lens has its peculiar features. I just need to understand what are my priorities.
thanks again
p.s.
the sigma 70mm sounds very interesting ...