Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

anyone try the Pentax SMC K 200m f4 on the K-1 ?

Having just unexpectedly purchased two K-1's from my work (one for me , one for Fiancé ) at a very agreeable price , we are going through all of our Tak's , K , A , and M lenses and thinning things out quite a bit.
Several are obvious keepers , and some must go.
We have a gap though at the 200mm area , and all I have is my old SMC K 200mm f4 that has literally sat in a case unused for the last 15 years.
Has anyone used this lens on the K-1 , and could I see the results with a couple images ?
We have over 50 lenses to go through and its going to take some time. I'm inclined to just keep it assuming that its going to be as good on digital as it was on Film.
I checked the lens reviews and there is nothing recent as far as use on the K-1.

Both of us are Vintage Glass addicts although I just ordered a 28-105mm DFA , we only have the DA 18-135mm WR as our only other modern tele lens for our K3's.

01-19-2017, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give me a couple days. I can shoot it but I can't do much PP and the sun isn't out when I'm home. I personally thinks it's sharp but the colors are a bit flat.
01-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Give me a couple days. I can shoot it but I can't do much PP and the sun isn't out when I'm home. I personally thinks it's sharp but the colors are a bit flat.
Please don't go out of Your way.
On film I always found this lens to have wonderful saturated colors , I'm disappointed it may end up being flat on digital.

We started testing lenses today and after 4 hours only got through the 24mm and 28mm lenses.
So far in the 24mm length we are keeping a SMC A 24mm , Super Takumar 24mm , and a SMC K 24mm 3.5.
In the 28mm length we are keeping a SMC A 28mm 2.8 (Mediocre), a SMC K 28mm 3.5 , SMC Takumar 28 3.5 , and a fantastic Pair of Ricoh Rikenon 28mm "XR" and "P" lenses.

We have a long way to go. I didn't realize we had so many Vintage lenses. I think they have been Breeding or something ?
Just trying to get it down to a useable and manageable lens set for two FF shooters.
Looking at this "keeper" list made me realize that I must be a lens hoarder. I still don't have it whittled down far enough. I'm ashamed of myself.

Last edited by WestBug; 01-19-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: additional info
01-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Please don't go out of Your way.
On film I always found this lens to have wonderful saturated colors , I'm disappointed it may end up being flat on digital.
Actually I'm happy to do it. I bought the lens Mint- for $15 with a frozen aperture intending to have it fixed, but when I was packaging it to ship to Eric the aperture ring moved. I haven't shot it on my K-1 yet. My observations were from K10D and K-3.

If you click the orange 'Film Cameras and Lenses' link in my sig it will take you to my lens list. I'm in a similar situation, but these are the items I've decided to keep

01-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually I'm happy to do it. I bought the lens Mint- for $15 with a frozen aperture intending to have it fixed, but when I was packaging it to ship to Eric the aperture ring moved. I haven't shot it on my K-1 yet. My observations were from K10D and K-3.

If you click the orange 'Film Cameras and Lenses' link in my sig it will take you to my lens list. I'm in a similar situation, but these are the items I've decided to keep
Ok , Thanks !
I looked at your gear profile. Very interesting. We definitely share some of the same feathers back in our lineage somewhere ! lol.
01-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok , Thanks !
I looked at your gear profile. Very interesting. We definitely share some of the same feathers back in our lineage somewhere ! lol.
Probably. But it's too much to ever use unless I become a full-time photographer.
01-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Having just unexpectedly purchased two K-1's from my work (one for me , one for Fiancé ) at a very agreeable price , we are going through all of our Tak's , K , A , and M lenses and thinning things out quite a bit.
all I have is my old SMC K 200mm f4 that has literally sat in a case unused for the last 15 years.
It appears that you have both camera and lens in hand and are in the position to see how the combination performs. One can expect that the K 200/4 will perform as well on the K-1 as it did on 35mm film, but might not be up to expectations for contemporary lenses.

I read your notes above regarding the wide-angle lenses from your shelf. Based on those that made the cut, I suspect that the K200/4 may very well find favor.

Steve

01-19-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my SMCA 200 f4 with a reverse-mounted 100mm bellows Takumar for high-magnification macro of small but lively subjects. For that function it has been quite satisfactory..
01-19-2017, 09:19 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some from last year... SMC K 200/4 on K-1.... click image to go to flickr for details.... everything is better on a K-1....I think I only took a couple of shots to satisfy my curiosity last May when I got the K-1. Like most legacy primes, the lens is very good, with the normal issues one would expect..... can't remember apertures or processing details.

A crop...2kx2k

The following are K3 or K5II images with it

Stumbled across this last scene just a short while ago.....a group of Glow Plugs getting stuck into a Spark Plug....with a bunch of Nuts just looking on and doing nothing! The Spark plug turned out to be a real Champion.

Yep, the old Diesel heads versus the petrol heads with the nuts looking on.

I "single in" the lens a while back... hence some silly shots.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-20-2017 at 12:49 AM.
01-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It appears that you have both camera and lens in hand and are in the position to see how the combination performs. One can expect that the K 200/4 will perform as well on the K-1 as it did on 35mm film, but might not be up to expectations for contemporary lenses.

I read your notes above regarding the wide-angle lenses from your shelf. Based on those that made the cut, I suspect that the K200/4 may very well find favor.

Steve
Yes I will get around to testing it at some point. The images above give me some favorable hope that it will perform fine.
I have so much to do to going through vintage lenses that will be sold to recover funds that were unexpected with the purchase of the K-1's. I'm in a hurry to speed things up , yet I don't want to hastily get rid of a "keeper" Lens.
We didn't think things though for keeping this camera , much less us ending up with 2 of them. Now I also need two L Brackets/Plates and a heavier ball head tor my Gitzo tripod.
Getting the K-1 and seeing the image quality has really spurred me on with New Excitement and renewed excitement that has been largely dead for several years.
01-20-2017, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't say what will work for you, but the second time I rationalized patience and discipline on Lens evaluations, cash raises and accessory purchases worked better for me. The first time haste begat regret, and I ended up buying back things I had sold. Discipline, planning and understanding resulted in an intentional, rational equipment list.

I waited a long time to upgrade my ball heads and was content to shoot hand held for a while. Now I need a robust gimbal head and legs, but I can wait another six months to shoot the extreme telephotos if necessary.

Your stuff will still have value in a few extra weeks.