Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pixel shift problem with 4th photo and blocked body

So yesterday I was out shooting and it happened to me like 4-5 times within 30 pixelshift shots:

The mirror was up for enought time to make 4 photos but on the screen only first three are dsiplayed and the 4th one is black.
Nothing is happening. Nothing at all. as if the body got stuck/frozen.
If You turn the power OFF the display will move to the progress bar screen where the body stiiches 4 photos into one, but the progress bar does not move. Again nothing is happening.
Only way to get the body to work again is take the battery out and put it in again. Otherwise it is stuck on stiching progress bar screen.

It happened after about 10 photos 2 times in a row, than once after about 5 and again 2 times after another 10-15 photos - all photos taken with pixelshift.

Conditions:
  • pixel shift MC on/off
  • 10 celsius points
  • cloudy and humid day
  • iso 100-400
  • times up to 3 sec
  • f 6-13
  • max photo resolution and quality
  • taken on a tripod
  • selftimer 2sec with mirror up
  • sigma 17-50 f2.8
  • body updated to v1.1

Anyone got this problem?
Any idea why this happens?

10-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing first , update to 1.3.
10-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It sounds like the camera may be running out of memory or suffering some kind of internal software corruption.

Do you have in-body lens corrections on? (Those add to the processing burden)

Do you turn the camera off between PS shots? (That might help clear working memory)

You might also update to firmware 1.3 which has 2 series of "stability improvements" and a number of other nice features.
10-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
First thing first , update to 1.3.
1.3 is for K-1. The newest firmware for K-70 is 1.1 as far as i can find

10-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
1.3 is for K-1. The newest firmware for K-70 is 1.1 as far as i can find
\\OOps, I should have asked....
Can you return it?
I hate messing with stuff that can be returned.
10-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope.. I probably can send it on warranty..
I wanted to know if anyone got same problem or not?

---------- Post added 10-27-2016 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It sounds like the camera may be running out of memory or suffering some kind of internal software corruption.

Do you have in-body lens corrections on? (Those add to the processing burden)

Do you turn the camera off between PS shots? (That might help clear working memory)

You might also update to firmware 1.3 which has 2 series of "stability improvements" and a number of other nice features.
Do You have any ide how can I verify this? can i get logs of device anyway?

Also the lens correction is on, the firmware is newest 1.1, and I did not turn the body between the shots so this might be a problem. I am not used to turn off the body while i cary it around and I would not like to do this ;/

Anyone has the same problem?? or can reproduce it with K-70 or K-3II? simply take 15-20 PS photos in a row and see if there is any problem or not?

Last edited by gelokrol; 10-27-2016 at 07:08 AM.
10-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

I've just tried a dozen pics on my desk with similar settings. Can't recreate your problem.

10-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I haven't tried PS, but am sure I've read somewhere a warning about exposure times and the time between exposures.

Can't remember the exact details or source, and might have misunderstood. Anyone else read this?
10-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You haven't had any problems with normal photos? I was thinking it could be a SD card issue.
10-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It could well be a card issue. Are you perhaps using a very slow card?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I haven't tried PS, but am sure I've read somewhere a warning about exposure times and the time between exposures.

Can't remember the exact details or source, and might have misunderstood. Anyone else read this?
I haven't seen this anywhere but i guess I will verify this with camera manual this evening

---------- Post added 10-28-2016 at 07:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
You haven't had any problems with normal photos? I was thinking it could be a SD card issue.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It could well be a card issue. Are you perhaps using a very slow card?
Nope. I am using sandisk extreme plus 80/60 and photos are being saved fast and no bad sectors/files so far.
If this is conencted to memory than it would probably be internal memory not sd card.
@JohnX I wonder if it might actually be connected t the internal buffer? maybe if I took 3-4 PS photos in a row it did not have chance to clear the memory and for long exposures it takes a looot of it so it just stopped and in the same time it did not have enough data to complete the process so it frozen for good?

Last edited by gelokrol; 10-27-2016 at 10:41 PM.
10-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #12

So yesterday I was out shooting and it happened to me like 4-5 times within 30 pixelshift shots:

The mirror was up for enought time to make 4 photos but on the screen only first three are dsiplayed and the 4th one is black.
Nothing is happening. Nothing at all. as if the body got stuck/frozen.
If You turn the power OFF the display will move to the progress bar screen where the body stiiches 4 photos into one, but the progress bar does not move. Again nothing is happening.
Only way to get the body to work again is take the battery out and put it in again. Otherwise it is stuck on stiching progress bar screen.

It happened after about 10 photos 2 times in a row, than once after about 5 and again 2 times after another 10-15 photos - all photos taken with pixelshift.

Conditions:
  • pixel shift MC on/off
  • 10 celsius points
  • cloudy and humid day
  • iso 100-400
  • times up to 3 sec
  • f 6-13
  • max photo resolution and quality
  • taken on a tripod
  • selftimer 2sec with mirror up
  • sigma 17-50 f2.8
  • body updated to v1.1

Anyone got this problem?
Any idea why this happens?
I have had my K-70 lock up twice in a similar way in about 2500 shots. One time at a wedding with the bride coming down the aisle. There was no indication on the screen that anything is wrong. I could change settings, but the camera would refuse to release the shutter. Turning it off and on did not help, but removing and reinserting the battery recovered it.

As was speculated, I also wonder if it may be a firmware bug when shots are queued up in the buffer.

Last edited by PhotoNomad0; 10-28-2016 at 03:58 AM. Reason: clarity
10-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoNomad0 Quote
I have had my K-70 lock up twice in a similar way in about 2500 shots. One time at a wedding with the bride coming down the aisle. There was no indication on the screen that anything is wrong. I could change settings, but the camera would refuse to release the shutter. Turning it off and on did not help, but removing and reinserting the battery recovered it.

As was speculated, I also wonder if it may be a firmware bug when shots are queued up in the buffer.
Is there anywhere any topic on this already?
10-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I haven't seen this anywhere but i guess I will verify this with camera manual this evening

---------- Post added 10-28-2016 at 07:38 AM ----------

Nope. I am using sandisk extreme plus 80/60 and photos are being saved fast and no bad sectors/files so far.
If this is conencted to memory than it would probably be internal memory not sd card.
@JohnX I wonder if it might actually be connected t the internal buffer? maybe if I took 3-4 PS photos in a row it did not have chance to clear the memory and for long exposures it takes a looot of it so it just stopped and in the same time it did not have enough data to complete the process so it frozen for good?
Although an internal memory issue may be more likely, it's always good to rule out potential causes especially because SD card problems seem to be more common than camera problems.

If your lock-ups are happening while quickly taking multiple PS images in a row, then the camera might be reaching a point where it does not have enough memory to run the software that completes processing and clears the buffer. And the longer the camera has been powered on and taking pictures, the higher than chance of these kinds of lock-ups.
10-29-2016, 03:47 AM   #15

Is there anywhere any topic on this already?
Yes, I started a thread a couple months back: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/193-pentax-k-70/329034-k-70-lockup-experience.html

Didn't get any responses from other K-70 users, just a bunch of comments about SD cards.