Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 02:13 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Parts availability to end users

Following the theme of at least one other post in this section, I would very much like to see availability of Pentax camera components to end-users.

I'm primarily a Pentax shooter, but also have Sony SLT and mirrorless cameras. For my Sony equipment, I can order virtually any component - body plates, battery doors, lens release buttons, SLT mirrors, right the way down to proprietary internal electronic components. For cameras inside warranty, I believe Sony expects them to be repaired properly by authorised technicians; but for out of warranty cameras (of which there are many, many thousands), this access to spare parts allows DIY-capable users to keep their cameras running.

When such a significant investment has been made in a camera body, this is an important aspect of customer support. Out-of-warranty repairs are - more often than not - uneconomical. A simple part replacement can involve a $200 repair; the alternative being to buy a brand new body at several times that cost. The result is often a disgruntled owner, and an otherwise-serviceable camera being relegated to the scrap-heap.

As an example... I have a K-5 with a slightly damaged mount from frequent fitting and removal of various lens adapters. I'm now unwilling to risk fitting my better lenses to this camera for fear of damaging the lens mounts. In every other sense (except for a few minor battle scars!) the camera is perfect. I'm not willing to spend the high cost of having the K-5 repaired at a service centre, as it's simply uneconomical given the value of the camera. But I would jump at the chance to buy a new mount and fit it myself.

Thanks for considering this & kind regds

12-09-2016, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you very much for your post. We are having a meeting with our management team shortly. I will take this post as well as the others related to this issue and read them directly to the management team. Thank you for your feedback and being a valued customer.
01-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Parts availability to end users
Now that all the threads that were in the Ask Ricoh Imaging Support forum have been moved to the Troubleshooting forum, we can now post in them Mike. I particularly liked this idea when you raised it mate, and hope it is acted upon. Here's hoping !!
01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Please Please Please allow this.

At the very least, allow repair shops to easily get parts in the United States. Precision is such a gamble and they seem to not really care. Despite the prodding by Ricoh to get them to improve. They just do the minimum to retain their contract and it is a sad disservice to us who chose Pentax products in the USA.

01-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certain 'parts' such as the removable tripod foot for the DA*300 seem impossible to find in N.A. If it is removable it will get lost and we'll need to replace it.

At one time quite recently the tripod foot could be obtained directly from the (former) Denver parts department, by telephone, with a credit card. Some sort of intermediate wholesaler stocking parts inventory would be a great help!