Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best tripod for a heavy telephoto lens?

I'm looking for a tripod with a ballhead that will hold a heavy 300/4 takumar telephoto, 2x teleconverter, and body. (That's 600mm to hold steady!) Here's the catch...I prefer not to spend more than $130.

So far, the best thing I've found is the Bogen/Manfotto Digi Black 725b Bogen / Manfrotto | 725B Digi Black Tripod with Ballhead | 725B for $120ish. It's only 3 pounds, as well! It seems like a pretty spankin' good bargain...

I've also looked at the SLIK pro series, including the 700DX. I would absolutely get those legs but they're 7 pounds! I will be doing a lot of traveling so lighter is better. A lot of the SLIK pro series seems to be pretty heavy.

Do you have any suggestions on tripods w/ ballheads able to hold a 2-lb lens?

01-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm in the exact same boat, especially with price range. IDK about the ball head though...pan heads *seem* more stable, although I have yet to use a ball head besides demo-ing them.

The weight, capacity, and folded length have been holding me back from buying a new tripod, but the 725B looks like the deal.
01-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #3

i went to fleabay and got a CF tripod and ballhead for about $130 made by amvona.
light and sturdy.
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Wow, I'm in the exact same boat, especially with price range. IDK about the ball head though...pan heads *seem* more stable, although I have yet to use a ball head besides demo-ing them.

The weight, capacity, and folded length have been holding me back from buying a new tripod, but the 725B looks like the deal.
Awesome! Tell me if you end up buying something!
I would normally get a pan head, but I am mostly going to be working outdoors on uneven ground, so I don't want to adjust horiz/vert pan AND tilt the whole time, as it would take too much time trying to photograph birds and wildlife. I think a ballhead is better for my needs (but, sadly, more expensvie.)

I only have 2.5 worries with the 725b:
-Legs only have 2 positions: folded, and out.
-Ball head does not pan for panoramas
-I'm not sure how well it will work with 600mm! (counts as a half. it SHOULD work...)

01-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
i went to fleabay and got a CF tripod and ballhead for about $130 made by amvona.
light and sturdy.
Really? I was just on (hehe, fleabay) ebay yesterday looking for tripods and saw SO many never-heard-of manufacturers, I just gave up looking. Is the tripod working well for you?
01-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

light and sturdy.
i did too.. 125 delivered, 2 auctions. gitzo sells the same for 375, pod only.
remember tho that amvona's specs are with the center column extended.. pm me for links.. i've had 3 of their pods and several heads.. been happy with all. oh, the tak 300/4 is a light weight lens. it doesn't even come close to a 300/2.8 or a 500/4.5 ... i use mine as a light weight backup to the 2.8 ...
01-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Really? I was just on (hehe, fleabay) ebay yesterday looking for tripods and saw SO many never-heard-of manufacturers, I just gave up looking. Is the tripod working well for you?
it works great and would buy it again.
i think i got the at-04 ballhead plus the at-105t cf legs.

01-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it works great and would buy it again.
i think i got the at-04 ballhead plus the at-105t cf legs.
Yes, they have good prices and the tripods are nice. I have the at-105t and I love it. However, Amvona has the worst customer service out there. You are okay if your stuff never has problems, but if it does you will not be happy. There are tons of mad customers from there. A lot of times, even after paying, Amvona have given people a ding for not paying. Sometimes things are shipped broken and Amvona is slow, if ever, to respond. I tried to call for days, and send help desk tickets, for a tracking number and never got it. Just recently one of my tripod leg sections starting coming all the way out, so instead of catching and stopping it just pops out, I sent them emails and tried calling but they never respond. I finally called the sales department, and wouldn't you know they answered on the first ring, the guy there said their 1 year warranty is good on all purchases as long as they aren't made through ebay.

I'm telling you now, they have cheap products, and if nothing goes wrong you'll love it, but once something goes wrong you won't get any help from them.
01-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 different tripods, both quite heavy and old aluminium 1 1/4 inch tube legs.

Each is fitted with a monfretto 486 ball head which some members have commented is too small.

I have also bought a manfretto "long lens support" from adorama, which has a clamp that goes from one tripod leg, via a telescoping tube to the camera's tripod socket.

If coupled at an angle, this offers a second means of support to take out all the high frequency vibration from the tripod head, lens mount etc.

The other thing you need to get is an enpty mesh or cloth bag, and a hook that you can use to weight down the tripod. You will also find a considerable high frequency vibration due to the flex of the legs.

Once all this is done, go for a cable release.
01-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is the lens support from Adorama. It looks just perfect for the 600 lens.

Amvona was brought up in another tripod thread, and lots of people recommended them even with their bad customer service :/
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ryan

Yes this is the support, and it works great on shorter lenses also.

Note, in the image you show, the third leg is directly under the camera. This is not the optimum way since the support can only damp out vertical but not side to side motion. If the lens and camera are between legs, then the support comes at an angle, and can eliminate virtually all motion.

I have tested this and fiund that having an angle (not 90 degrees, streight down also helps. You need to look at ghe geometry and forces.

Also, this works great on my 70-200 f2.8 plus 2x TC,