Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Kr TTL trigger

Hey guys,

need some help and have what is really two questions. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced flash wireless trigger for the Kr? I am using a Metz 52 AF1 and need a trigger that will send TTL info to the flash.

The second question is to do with the Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe Kit (38x38). Has anyone used this and can they confirm that the Metz 52 A1 fits. All the info I have seen says it fits most flash guns but most isn't all.

Thanks guys

04-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tunjij Quote
need a trigger that will send TTL info to the flash
Just to clarify, Pentax has stopped using TTL a little while ago (starting with *ISTd I believe). Now they use P-TTL. Still the same principle but it uses pre-pulse to calculate exposure and then re-flash for taking the shot. And P-TTL and cheap won't appear in the same sentence...

For wireless P-TTL trigger, you're out of luck. Pentax only support optical slaves and no one makes a true P-TTL radio trigger. There is a company called Aokatec (Aokatec - Products) that jimmy-rigged a system to convert optical on camera flash to radio and then from radio to IR to fire off the flashes. It looks promising but I never heard of anyone using them. Check their website.

You can use your on camera flash set as "Controller in wireless mode", it shouldn't affect exposure (in most cases). But if you'r gonna use a softbox, optical may not work.

Or go the good old manual mode and get some $25 Ebay radio trigger and adjust your flash and exposure manually.

And for the box, Metz is using a fairly standard design, I can't see why it wouldn't fit. But I never used the combination.
04-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Just to clarify, Pentax has stopped using TTL a little while ago (starting with *ISTd I believe). Now they use P-TTL. Still the same principle but it uses pre-pulse to calculate exposure and then re-flash for taking the shot. And P-TTL and cheap won't appear in the same sentence...

For wireless P-TTL trigger, you're out of luck. Pentax only support optical slaves and no one makes a true P-TTL radio trigger. There is a company called Aokatec (Aokatec - Products) that jimmy-rigged a system to convert optical on camera flash to radio and then from radio to IR to fire off the flashes. It looks promising but I never heard of anyone using them. Check their website.

You can use your on camera flash set as "Controller in wireless mode", it shouldn't affect exposure (in most cases). But if you'r gonna use a softbox, optical may not work.

Or go the good old manual mode and get some $25 Ebay radio trigger and adjust your flash and exposure manually.

And for the box, Metz is using a fairly standard design, I can't see why it wouldn't fit. But I never used the combination.
Hi fgaudet,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. Very helpful and confirmed a number of things I already suspected. I have been using my KR's built in flash to fire a slave and it works beautifully I was just looking for an option for outdoor shooting over greater distances or where I do not have direct line of sight. I am about to go for the Cactus V5 but I know it does not send TTL info, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another option before purchasing them.

Thanks again

Tunji
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Cactus V5s work really well for manual flash triggering, and they're not expensive. I've used them with a K-5 and Metz flash. I understand the upcoming v6 will transmit P-TTL data, but I haven't seen a release date or price yet.

04-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Stens. Very helpful. I'm going to go look into the V6