Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Flash Recommendations

Looking for a flash compatible with my KR. I currently have a yungnuo 560 iii but want a flash that can do TTL and HSS.

Found a PENTAX AF 360FGZ for £99 but it only has a tilt head which is a bummer. Looking at about £150 for a budget and don't mind if I have to buy second hand.

Cheers guys.

08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
Looking for a flash compatible with my KR. I currently have a yungnuo 560 iii but want a flash that can do TTL and HSS.

Found a PENTAX AF 360FGZ for £99 but it only has a tilt head which is a bummer. Looking at about £150 for a budget and don't mind if I have to buy second hand.

Cheers guys.
HI! I would recommend the Pentax AF360FGZ II. BUt that's £249 (tilting and swiveling head + WR).
For the price range you mentioned look at the Metz flashes. for example: Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital Flash - Pentax Fit - £139.00 inc. VAT (price taken from srsmicrosystems.co.uk)
I own the original AF360FGZ, but if it were today to choose I would rather choose the Metz. Good luck!
08-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
HI! I would recommend the Pentax AF360FGZ II. BUt that's £249 (tilting and swiveling head + WR).
For the price range you mentioned look at the Metz flashes. for example: Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital Flash - Pentax Fit - £139.00 inc. VAT (price taken from srsmicrosystems.co.uk)
I own the original AF360FGZ, but if it were today to choose I would rather choose the Metz. Good luck!
I've seen the metz. Do they do HSS, I've read their TTL mode can be inconsistent.
08-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've seen the metz. Do they do HSS, I've read their TTL mode can be inconsistent.
I hope someone who actually has it will pop in and help you. I'm just suggesting what I've read from other forum mates. As far as I know the Metz flashes are the better from the third-party products. HSS can be used with the K-30 and K-5II if the Metz 44 AF-1 has the latest firmware. (See here: Pentax: Metz)

EDIT: I've reread what I have linked for you, and that's for Metz 58 AF-1 - sorry for being misleading!

Last edited by Caver; 08-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.
08-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Not sure about the 44, but I have the Metz 48 AF-1 and it definitely does TTL and HSS. Actually the only p-TTL feature it doesn't have AFAIK is wireless master/controller. I guess if you can find one used it will be into your price range.
08-28-2014, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

Hi, I have 44 AF-1. Its good flash and it has quite reliable p-ttl. But it has not HSS. It has wireless slave. But on slave mode it works only in p-ttl mode, no manual adjust. I have also 52 AF - it's definitely better flash. It has HSS and much more control to adjust flash power. It also work as wireless master/control. And it has a super "servo m" mode, that works in manual as a slave for any brand (it can teach a pre flashes).
08-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The cheapest HSS PTTL flash currently on the market (from the big names, that is) is the Sigma 610 Super. fine flash, but controls are not very intuitive.

the Metz 52 AF-1 is a fantastic flash, not much more expensive, I think it's a better product (there is a review of it that should be published soon here).

The Pentax AF360 II is a great little flash, has WR and a video lamp, but it's less powerful and a bit more expensive.

08-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The cheapest HSS PTTL flash currently on the market (from the big names, that is) is the Sigma 610 Super. fine flash, but controls are not very intuitive.

the Metz 52 AF-1 is a fantastic flash, not much more expensive, I think it's a better product (there is a review of it that should be published soon here).

The Pentax AF360 II is a great little flash, has WR and a video lamp, but it's less powerful and a bit more expensive.

I'm young I can work my way around controls.

I've found a Sigma EF-610 DG ST for £109. Is this the same thing ?

edit: Found a super for £139. As far as I can tell the super can do rear curtain and such.

Last edited by degnann; 08-29-2014 at 09:57 AM.
09-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm young I can work my way around controls.
Everyone can It doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware that a limitation of the Sigma flashes is the interface. If you play a lot with it, it can be inconvenient (just switching from wireless PTTL to slave with a Pentax flash is a real pain).

I've found a Sigma EF-610 DG ST for £109. Is this the same thing ?

edit: Found a super for £139. As far as I can tell the super can do rear curtain and such.
Yep, the ST is pretty limited, it has PTTL, manual full power and manual 1/16 (I believe). The Super has everything you could ask for. Full manual controls, wireless PTTL, slave, rear sync, you name it.
09-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beyond the less than intuitive controls, my only real complaint with the Sigma has been that the pull-down wide angle lens and its spring popped out while I was using it out of the country. It popped back in but the switch that detects its position has never functioned quite right again. I have tried to insert things into the slot to make the switch function, but the flash acts erratically on the shoe. It still works well as a wireless P-TTL slave.

It seems that little parts like this are where they skimp to get the price down so low. With its rubberized exterior, the Sigma seems more substantial than the AF540FGZ, but the Pentax has been going strong for 6 years and the Sigma worked properly for about 1.
09-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
cheers everyone. Ended up going with the Sigma Super. Have to work out all the settings now. One of the modes puts my shutter down to 1/90 and doesn't let me go any higher. any reason why this is ?