Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Small(ish) bag for K3, Recommedations

I know this discussion comes up a lot, so feel free to point me to another post if you feel it has the answer.

I recently acquired a K-3 and now need a bag for it. Thought I might add a bag on top of a lens purchase at B&H today,
so would very much appreciate input.

Ideally, I would like a bag that is as compact as possible while still being practical. Low and wide is better than tall;
I don't want to have any more than one layer of gear. Storage needs are minimal: K-3 with prime attached, plus room
for one or two more primes. The largest lens I own is the 90mm 2.5 Bokina, but that is rarely ever be a traveling lens.
More typical would be DA15, M 50 /1.7 & 135 /3.5 or some other mix of small primes. Beyond that, a few pockets to
hold extra battery, memory cards, remote and other small accessories.

I currently have an older M-Rock bag for my K10D. Not sure what model, but it appears very similar to the Glacier Bay #8004.
The size of the bag is ideal but it's too tall. Glacier Bay dimensions are given as 6.5"H x 7"W x 4.5"D. Would prefer
something more like 5.5"H x 8.5"W x 4.5"D.

Suggestions?

10-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home for this kind of use and it's pretty good. I'll carry my K-3 with a lens on it plus another lens or flash. There's just enough room for some batteries, filters, or cards after that but it's pretty tight. The Six Million Dollar Home might be a good choice too.
I take mine a lot of places and it does well and has good protection. It's too small for a big lens like the 60-250 but just big enough for a DA* 16-50 and a DA15 (a little tight).
It's my man purse.

(not my photo)
10-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woot had the Pentax bag for $16 a few weeks back, quite nice for body two lenses and a few accessories.
10-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what your style preferences are, but I use two versions of this Tamrac Aria bag regularly (not at the same time, of course):

tamrac | Aria Series

I like the bags because they don't look like camera bags - they're light, sleek, easy to clean and look more like purses or briefbags than camera bags. That's useful if I want to bring a camera to work or to a social event. The fabic is smooth and doesn't snag on my clothes.

I use the Aria 3 to carry camera with lens attached plus one other lens and various accessories. I use the Aria 6 if I need to carry a little more gear (e.g., more than one extra lens or lens+flash). They have moveable, padded dividers inside and generally I keep just one divider in the bag to separate the main camera from the spare lens.

Both bags have lots of fairly capacious pockets (given the size of the bags). The outside front pocket holds accessories like spare batteries, brush, memory cards etc. The zip inside pocket holds smallish flat items I want to protect (wallet, passport). There are two pockets on either end of the bag and they're large enough to hold smarphones, or a very small umbrella. The back open pocket holds a map, an instruction manual, a skinny book or a 7" tablet (although without any padded protection). The Aria 6 has a padded inner sleeve that will hold a 10" tablet.

No rain cover, though.

If you like the concept and overall bag design dimensions but thing that the Aria series is a bit too feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that - just might not be to your taste), the Apache series is a bit more masculine in style:

http://www.tamrac.com/series/apache/

10-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could also try the Clik Elite Trekker, or if you need bit bigger the Clik Eltite reporter Waist Packs Archives - Adventure Photography Camera Gear by Clik Elite
I have the trekker, and it does fit my K-7 with DA16-45 with two primes extra. I think I will even fit one more prime. but will be a bit tight fit then. and there is s amll pocket for batteries cards etc. and two side meshpockets for water or some energy bars

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675839-REG/Clik_Elite_CE504GR_Trekker_...Pack_Clik.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768939-REG/Clik_Elite_CE715BK_Reporter...Bag_Black.html
10-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Woot had the Pentax bag for $16 a few weeks back, quite nice for body two lenses and a few accessories.
D'oh! I actually have one of those bags, purchased from Woot! earlier in the year. It's presently serving as overflow storage
for various film bodies.

Looking at the dimensions it appears to be just what I'm looking for. However, the bag is at home and I won't be there for
a few days so can not test it for fit. Oh well, perhaps I'll just hold off on the camera bag until I get home and if need, purchase
the bag locally.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I'm not sure what your style preferences are, but I use two versions of this Tamrac Aria bag regularly (not at the same time, of course):

tamrac | Aria Series

If you like the concept and overall bag design dimensions but thing that the Aria series is a bit too feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that - just might not be to your taste), the Apache series is a bit more masculine in style:

tamrac | Apache Series
Thanks! Those look close to the mark. I too like the styling of the Aria better. The Aria 2 and Aria 6 both look good, though I wish
they had a handle on top like the Apache.

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
You could also try the Clik Elite Trekker, or if you need bit bigger the Clik Eltite reporter Waist Packs Archives - Adventure Photography Camera Gear by Clik Elite
I have the trekker, and it does fit my K-7 with DA16-45 with two primes extra. I think I will even fit one more prime. but will be a bit tight fit then. and there is s amll pocket for batteries cards etc. and two side meshpockets for water or some energy bars

Clik Elite Trekker Waist Pack (Clik Gray) CE504GR B&H Photo
Clik Elite Reporter Sling/Waist-Style Bag (Black) CE715BK B&H
Looks a bit bulky for my tastes, (too tall, too deep). Thanks for the suggestion all the same.
10-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The Aria 2 and Aria 6 both look good, though I wish
they had a handle on top like the Apache.
You might find the Aria 2 is too small - I think it's intended more for a mirrorless camera. I use the Aria 3 and the 6.
I don't miss a handle on this kind of bag (but of course everyone's tastes differ). I almost always wear it cross-body and if for some reason I'm holding it in my hand for a brief period of time, I just fold the strap over on itself and carry it that way.
I also like that it's easy to wipe down. I even wipe a Clorox disinfecting cloth over it when I take it into the animal shelter (or after a sanctuary pig slobbers on it):

Attached Images

10-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thats easy! Think tank's hubba hubba hiney plus skin belt to your size
10-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Thats easy! Think tank's hubba hubba hiney plus skin belt to your size
I definitely like the layout. "Holds 70-200 f/2.8 horizontally" has to be one of the more obtuse marketing
angles I've seen in a while. How many DA limiteds does that equal? 3? 4? LOL.
10-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote

tamrac | Apache Series
The Apache bags appealed to me so I bought the 4 & 6 after handling them briefly in a store. Unfortunately, it seems the dense foam sewn between the fabric outer layer and inner nylon is impregnated with some type of silicone-like substance which leaves a slimy-feeling residue on your hands. At first, I thought it was only a water-repellent coating on the outside that would wash off, but it seems to be coming from the foam, near as I can tell. Repeated washings are having some effect, but I'm not ready to begin using them yet, and of course, they are looking like old canvas bags, now. You could say I'm dissappointed in the mfrs choice of material, here, in an otherwise well-thought-out design.
11-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

I do own a golla messenger bag. It was cheap, very straight forward, fits all you need plus a tablet, it has pockets for cloths, sd cards, bla bla bla. The interior is removable and the outer top flap is rubberized/water resistant.

I'm not sure they still make that specific one, but they do have some stuff on their site.
11-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
The Apache bags appealed to me so I bought the 4 & 6 after handling them briefly in a store. Unfortunately, it seems the dense foam sewn between the fabric outer layer and inner nylon is impregnated with some type of silicone-like substance which leaves a slimy-feeling residue on your hands. At first, I thought it was only a water-repellent coating on the outside that would wash off, but it seems to be coming from the foam, near as I can tell. Repeated washings are having some effect, but I'm not ready to begin using them yet, and of course, they are looking like old canvas bags, now. You could say I'm dissappointed in the mfrs choice of material, here, in an otherwise well-thought-out design.
Appreciate that feedback. I'd be annoyed to have anything oozing out of a camera bag onto my gear. I'm curious, have you
tried replacing the bag or contacting the manufacturer about the issue? I can't imagine this is an intended feature...

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

I'm back at home and had a chance to size up the Pentax Adventure Bag. It is nearly ideal in size. I wish it were a little
less deep and could be a little wider. My biggest issue are the included dividers but I'm sure I can find other inserts
and adapt as need.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input!
11-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Appreciate that feedback. I'd be annoyed to have anything oozing out of a camera bag onto my gear. I'm curious, have you
tried replacing the bag or contacting the manufacturer about the issue? I can't imagine this is an intended feature...

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

I'm back at home and had a chance to size up the Pentax Adventure Bag. It is nearly ideal in size. I wish it were a little
less deep and could be a little wider. My biggest issue are the included dividers but I'm sure I can find other inserts
and adapt as need.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input!
Waiting to hear back from Tamrac.
11-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I definitely like the layout. "Holds 70-200 f/2.8 horizontally" has to be one of the more obtuse marketing
angles I've seen in a while. How many DA limiteds does that equal? 3? 4? LOL.
I can fit 1 camera body plus 1 limited at the center compartment plus 2 lens on either side without a problem, my sigma 50-150 or my metz 58 does fit on either side.

Using the DA Lims as reference, I can fit 21/35/50/70 plus 1 camera without a problem, but I don't do that.
11-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

When I go light, I use a Lower Pro 102 AW Sling bag. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676052-REG/Lowepro_LP36172_PEU_SlingSh...AW_Camera.html

It says camera without a grip but my K5 lls fits nicely with it's grip and a Sigma 17-70mm on it.