Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What can I do with an AF-200FG

So first off, I don't have much experience using flashes. I have an AF 280T which I've used occasionally for bouncing in indoor light, but I'm mostly outdoors in situations where I haven't found that I have need for a flash.
When I bought my K-3, the camera store gave me an AF-200FG along with it. Originally, I thought I should just resell it for a small sum, but maybe I could learn something instead. Since it doesn't articulate, I can't use it in the way I'm used to using flashes, but clearly it must have some kind of use, if people are buying them. Does anyone have suggestions/tips/advice?

12-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a basic flash meant for beginners or just folks on a budget. The AF 280T doesn't support PTTL automation on the K-3, but the AF 200FG does, so you can use it when the built-in flash isn't powerful enough and you want to use auto exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flash Fun?

Hello ZoeB,
Even a small, non-tilt-head flash can be helpful when used properly. For example, in macro photography, often the top-mounted position works perfectly with no head adjustment, tilt or swivel.
It has two exposure (compensation) adjustments, -1/2 stop and - 1 stop, so, is useful as a 'fill' light for (say) an outdoor portrait shoot, to balance the one-directional existing light.
While it's only about twice as powerful as the in-camera flash, it has a big advantage; No drain on the camera battery. The pop-up flash gobbles power at an alarming rate and can easily reduce the shooting time.
With an inexpensive dedicated sync cord (5-pin Pentax, Vivitar-fc-pen, about $30 online) you will have all the tilt, pan, swivel and positioning options you need, especially with the addition of a helper or tripod. Same thing for wireless triggers, although the AF200 is pretty small for that duty.
So, for a handy, small, easy-to-use dedicated flash, it's great. You eventually will want the other features and more power, but for now, enjoy!
Good luck!
Ron
12-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm finding a simple remote trigger to pair with my AF-200FG. I will be using it as a handheld fill light, so I don't care if the head doesn't turn or tilt.

12-27-2014, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
I'm finding a simple remote trigger to pair with my AF-200FG. I will be using it as a handheld fill light, so I don't care if the head doesn't turn or tilt.

Here you go, simple, cheap, and works!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A47U22U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
That's exactly the set that I returned to Amazon. They wouldn't work when the receiver is exactly on top of the transmitter. IDK why.
12-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's exactly the set that I returned to Amazon. They wouldn't work when the receiver is exactly on top of the transmitter. IDK why.
I used a similar set for handheld off camera flash and they work fine over the camera.
Model number is pt-04.
Sold by cowboy studio NPT-04+EXTRA RECEIVER

12-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Banned

I've had these for a couple of months, no trouble with mine, but like I said, they're cheap so long-lasting quality and / or durability remain to be seen. Good enough for experimenting with multi-flash setups though.