Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which shoulder bag?

I'd ask you for your tips and recommendations of a middle size to bigger shoulder bag.

This bag should be possibly compact, but there should be space for (contradiction, I know...):
- 1 (max 2) DSLR camera bodies (without battery grip)
- about 5-6 lenses
- 1x tele (DA300)
- 1x middle tele (DA50-135)
- 1x normal zoom (DA16-50)
- 3x wide / normal primes (DA15, FA ltds)
- 1x flash
- possibly a laptop (max 15'', but this is not the most essential point)
- all that small stuff like batteries, SD cards, ....

Other desired features:
- all gear well protected (well padded, clever divider system)
- decent and rather discreet design
- AW/WR
- kind of tripod sling
- back pocket (to enable slipping over handle of rolling luggage)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

03-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Heralder series. Check out the 33.
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
Vanguard Heralder series. Check out the 33.

33 or maybe 38?
03-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

or check out the largest of the Lowepro Nova sports. Or the Naneu pro Sahara 115

03-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For that much gear and weight I would recomend getting backbag...
03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote

I agree... I have one and use it in case that I go to a certain place, put it down, take out the gear and shoot. But if I switch places and spots, it's rather annoying to zip it, put on my backs, walk a little, and again and again. So I thought a shoulder bag would be easier to use from this point of view...and in situations when I jump from place to place and have to put the camera/lenses out and tuck back inside frequently.
03-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
For that much gear and weight I would recommend getting an assistant

03-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
For that much gear and weight I would recommend getting an assistant

I tried to engage my wife for this role... Beyond all understanding she refused this challenge
03-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I highly recommend Tenba Messenger Bag - Small.

I used it for a few months and really liked it as a messenger bag, but I switched back to backpack. My son then took it to college. He removed the insert and has been using it everyday for the last 3 years. It contains at least a 1" 3-ring binder, a 15" Macbook pro, a 1/2" thick notebook, and a water bottle.

The only thing "extra" he got was an Op/Tech strap because the supplied strap was to bulky for him.

Edited to add: I just noticed the gears you needed to carry. Size large is probably better for you.
03-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the bag manufacturers have a bag finder feature on their website. That might be a help. I have a Tamrac Pro 12 bag that would hold what you want to carry with the possible exception of the laptop. However, I gave up trying to use it for anything other than storage. It's just too heavy and large to be practical.
03-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very happy with the Lowenpro Flipside 400AW but it may be tight for all your stuff, especially the laptop.
I carry 2 bodies (K5II and Kx or K20), 4 lenses (F50, DA35, DA55-300, DA18-55WR), 2 flashes (YN560 and AF360), remote triggers, a Gopro (sometimes its space is used for a A50f1.7) and smaller stuff like rocket blower, batteries, chargers, lens cleaning cloth etc.

Thanks,
03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
or check out the largest of the Lowepro Nova sports. Or the Naneu pro Sahara 115
I have a Nova AW bag listed here on Marketplace; however mine does not have a tripod strap, so I don't know if any of the Nova's do have this.
03-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Most of the bag manufacturers have a bag finder feature on their website. That might be a help. I have a Tamrac Pro 12 bag that would hold what you want to carry with the possible exception of the laptop. However, I gave up trying to use it for anything other than storage. It's just too heavy and large to be practical.
That is a big one. The Pro 8 is a bit smaller and more...tote-able.

You might consider a backpack, plus a small bag for the 2 lenses you are using most at the moment...
03-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I highly recommend Tenba Messenger Bag - Small.

I used it for a few months and really liked it as a messenger bag, but I switched back to backpack. My son then took it to college. He removed the insert and has been using it everyday for the last 3 years. It contains at least a 1" 3-ring binder, a 15" Macbook pro, a 1/2" thick notebook, and a water bottle.

The only thing "extra" he got was an Op/Tech strap because the supplied strap was to bulky for him.

Edited to add: I just noticed the gears you needed to carry. Size large is probably better for you.

I have the Large Tenba Messenger and its not quite big enough for the OP's lists I can carry 2 camera's with lens a flash and a couple maybe three smaller primes depending upon the size of the lenses on camera.

to the OP take a look at the Crumpler Cobram Outpost shoulder bag. I have one and its got enormous room and has a stabilizer strap for help when you're fully loaded. and top zipper access.
03-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW. It's got a spot on the side to carry a tripod, but since I almost never use a tripod, I carry my jacket or an umbrella there.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 03-31-2015 at 01:19 AM.