Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Flash trigger help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have 2 flashes, one Pentax one not. I currently trigger them using my pop up flash on my K3. I would really like a flash trigger and do away with the creepy catchlight left by the pop up flash. What would you suggest? I don't need all kinds of bells & whistles, just something that will fire my flashes.

10-08-2015, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
I have 2 flashes, one Pentax one not. I currently trigger them using my pop up flash on my K3. I would really like a flash trigger and do away with the creepy catchlight left by the pop up flash. What would you suggest? I don't need all kinds of bells & whistles, just something that will fire my flashes.
I've been quite happy with my Cactus v5's now. I can't recall any misfires.
10-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i got some very cheap ones from amazon... they work! You work with manual settings but thats what i prefer anyway...
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008UR4GXC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
10-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lots of choices, and having a set of radio triggers is desirable, but before going that route, try setting the built in flash to manual 1/128 power. Unless you're working in very bright conditions, that should put out enough light to trigger your off camera flashes without contributing to the exposure or showing up as a catchlight.

10-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many simple Chinese made radio flash triggers available on EBAY. They come with the hot shoe sender and one, two, three or four receivers. Prices from about $20 to $50. Receivers use AAA batteries, typically there are four channels you can select. They work perfectly and at the price are an unbeatable bargain. Almost throw-away if they eventually fail to work. Mine still going after two years.
10-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I use the same triggers and they are simple and dependable. The also have a very good range.
10-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

I recently received some FlashQ radio triggers. All manual flash, small size, button battery. For me it does the trick.

FlashQ - LightPix Labs

10-09-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote

Two people have recommended the Cactus v5 set. I have such a pair, but for my purposes, which includes a lot of macro work, they were not satisfactory because they will not fire if they are too close together. If you're doing portraiture or similar work where the units are several meters apart, they're great. but if you're trying to get a spider where you're holding the flash by hand within a meter, they are not reliable. Lost a day's outing that way. The little Chinese-made units, aside from being much smaller, have never failed to fire even when only a foot or less apart. BTW: The Chinese triggers are sold under a variety of brand names, but they all appear to be made by the same factory. And at $40 for a sender and three receivers, they are a real bargain.