Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB-100?

Does anyone own this tripod (Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB-100) and what do you think about it? It comes with the Vanguard SBH-100 ball head, not really certain I would stay with this head but have read good reviews on both. The Gitzo and Markins setup will have to wait.(Funny)
I am not brand loyal when it comes to tripods and heads, really if it has the functions I'am looking for and does the job at a fair price it will work for me. But looking threw some of my images from last year many of my landscape's were soft and fought a really cheap tripod and head for awhile, sure not all my problems are with my tripod set up, but the other day caught my head planing in the light wind. Thank you

02-09-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I used in combo with the pistolgrip..PG200 or something..but the tripod it self was very very good..loved..Only reason for me to change, was a deal with Sirui So its a good choice this one.
02-09-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #3

I have a 263 AT which I like for the weight and the height...I replaced the ballhead with a acratech and all I can say is wow...although my pocket book said ouch...I also have a Sirui when weight is a factor
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
I have a 263 AT which I like for the weight and the height...I replaced the ballhead with a acratech and all I can say is wow...although my pocket book said ouch...I also have a Sirui when weight is a factor

Do you have problem with one of the legs getting very loose because it develops an empty space in the joint? I already got a factory replacement one and that one too is developing a loose leg, and on the same leg also (one with the logo).

02-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
Does anyone own this tripod (Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB-100) and what do you think about it? It comes with the Vanguard SBH-100 ball head, not really certain I would stay with this head but have read good reviews on both. The Gitzo and Markins setup will have to wait.(Funny)
I am not brand loyal when it comes to tripods and heads, really if it has the functions I'am looking for and does the job at a fair price it will work for me. But looking threw some of my images from last year many of my landscape's were soft and fought a really cheap tripod and head for awhile, sure not all my problems are with my tripod set up, but the other day caught my head planing in the light wind. Thank you
I bought the Vanguard Auctus Plus 283CT with the SBH-300 ballhead a few years ago.

The tripod is fine. I am not happy with the ballhead. When you try to rotate it on the base, it wobbles right before I try to lock it. I do panoramic work and it is useless for that purpose because of the wobbling when you try to rotate. The movement is not precise. I am looking into getting a better ballhead. The build quality of both is fine and they come with lifetime warranty. I bought these at special "show" prices. I just looked at B&H site. Both of the items are selling for less (the tripod a lot less) than what I paid for them two years ago.
02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not only due to sponsorship, but i really want to recommend to look at Sirui tripods and monopods!
02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

I've been using the Alta+ 263AP for around 4-5 years now. It has held up rather well (one of the lower segments on one leg is a little stiff when pulling out but its very minor).

Only issue I do have with it is I wish it had an arca style release plate so it would be more compatible with other tripods (and I could buy plates elsewhere).