Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since when did a battery grip cost so much?

I've recently become interested in a D-BG5 grip for my K-3ii...

I remember a while back when I first got my camera these were sold new around $129...

Now they are $299 new.

When did this happen?
I'll likely shop the used market now. Even posted a wanted ad on the marketplace here.

Is this because it's close to Black Friday and stores want it to look like they just dropped the price for a "Huge Savings!"?

I can't understand the price more than doubling though.

10-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a ~$30 chinese clone that came complete with a spare generic battery and both have been excellent considering. Obviously I'm not expecting it to last as long as the brand version, but I can replace it 10 times and still be better off.
10-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I got a ~$30 chinese clone that came complete with a spare generic battery and both have been excellent considering. Obviously I'm not expecting it to last as long as the brand version, but I can replace it 10 times and still be better off.
If only the 3rd party made a WR version...

I agree, I've been close to buying a DSTE brand grip for my K3. I've seen them for around $45 and have great reviews. I just really would like WR to match the body and lenses I'll have out in the field.

I don't mind paying for Pentax brand and certainly understand the concept of getting what you paid for.
But the jump from $129 to $299 is kind of insane...
10-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes.

I had the grip on my 'wish list' and was considering buying it from B&H at USD 129. With the dollar exchange rate and Canadian sales tax, it would cost CAD ~$190 all in.

The current price at Canadian suppliers/dealers is about CAD $275, or $310 with sales tax. CAD 275 = USD 210.

- Craig

10-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
But the jump from $129 to $299 is kind of insane...
As you say, not so if you plan to give 50% off in a couple of weeks. Not sure whether there are any regulations there, but here an item must have been on sale for 28 days at the 'was' price before a discount can be advertised. It's worth postponing a few sales if it means getting a lot more from people who don't realise that the discount price is the regular price and the 'was' price is a short-term temporary one. Most people mistakenly believe a sale price is temporary, but it's often the other way around.
10-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Yikes.

I had the grip on my 'wish list' and was considering buying it from B&H at USD 129. With the dollar exchange rate and Canadian sales tax, it would cost CAD ~$190 all in.

The current price at Canadian suppliers/dealers is about CAD $275, or $310 with sales tax. CAD 275 = USD 210.

- Craig
That's still pretty high.
B&H is listing $299USD for me right now.

Though, there is a used one for $89. I'm about to just buy it and call it a day.

Just wanted to know if anyone has a reason/theory behind the price jump.

Are they running low on stock? I figured if it was being discontinued they would drop the price to move inventory.
IDK, seems odd regardless.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
As you say, not so if you plan to give 50% off in a couple of weeks. Not sure whether there are any regulations there, but here an item must have been on sale for 28 days at the 'was' price before a discount can be advertised. It's worth postponing a few sales if it means getting a lot more from people who don't realise that the discount price is the regular price and the 'was' price is a short-term temporary one. Most people mistakenly believe a sale price is temporary, but it's often the other way around.
Sad, but true.

I can totally see them "re-list" it at 60% off for "Only $119!"

And this theory makes sense, 28 days would be plenty to have it on sale in time for Black Friday...

There goes my hopes of actually getting a deal this year.
I'll likely just buy the used one on B&H
10-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIF, I bought the official grips for my K20 and K3II, but went with the $30 knockoff for the K5 and it got sprayed with seawater repeatedly, eventually corroding, but lasted as long as i owned the camera. Plus the extra battery is a good one and still holding strong.

10-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
FWIF, I bought the official grips for my K20 and K3II, but went with the $30 knockoff for the K5 and it got sprayed with seawater repeatedly, eventually corroding, but lasted as long as i owned the camera. Plus the extra battery is a good one and still holding strong.
good to note,
Thanks!
10-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes, that's pretty steep for a grip. :/
10-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yikes, that's pretty steep for a grip. :/
It is steep, but not out of line with other brands. It's more or less in the middle of what other grips from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji and Olympus cost at the moment...

It also seems to be much cheaper here in the UK... £146 from Amazon right now.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-27-2016 at 09:18 AM.
10-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strange that the K-3 one is going for more than the K-1 grip which is listed at $219 at B&H. Maybe I should get it before they go up too...
10-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Strange that the K-3 one is going for more than the K-1 grip which is listed at $219 at B&H. Maybe I should get it before they go up too...
My crystal ball tells me that the K-1 grip won't be included in Black Friday deals...too new. So it won't go up because they don't plan to put it back down.
10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh well.
Just picked up one 9/10 condition used from B&H for 89$.
I'm okay with that.
10-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm...right now I can't find the D-BG5 available on the Ricoh website. Somewhat even more disturbing is that on the K-3ii page, the Li109 is shown as an accessory.

---------- Post added Oct 27th, 2016 at 09:14 AM ----------

On the Ricoh UK website the D-BG5 is listed as "currently not available."
10-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I've recently become interested in a D-BG5 grip for my K-3ii...

I remember a while back when I first got my camera these were sold new around $129...

Now they are $299 new.

When did this happen?
I'll likely shop the used market now. Even posted a wanted ad on the marketplace here.

Is this because it's close to Black Friday and stores want it to look like they just dropped the price for a "Huge Savings!"?

I can't understand the price more than doubling though.
That's quite a price increase. Mine came free with my K-3 it was a choice of a free kit lens 18-55 or a free Battery grip I opted for the Grip since I had a number of lens. When I got mine it was listing at B&H for around $120 or so.