Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Carrying your camera with you everywhere, everyday. Solutions?

Hi all,

As stated, how do you carry your camera with you every day. K50 with Sigma 24mm prime. Would also like to have the SMC F 50mm with me. Right now, camera slung over shoulder, lens in pock. This works pretty well this time of year in Ontario, though a little more camera protection would be great. For summer, it's not going to work for carrying the extra lens.

I'm thinking some kind of small sling like bag that can be thrown over the shoulder like a bike messenger bag. Who's tried what? I could also switch to smaller lenses (limited) but that's pretty spendy. I'm convinced I need my camera with me at all times. Yes, something smaller than a DSLR would be easier but I work better with this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attached Images

01-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A small lens case or case for compact camera that will attach to your belt. I bought a Lowe Pro case when I borrowed a Fuji X100 for a trip and now I use it to hold my DA15 and da70.
01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in a bag while I'm on the road, usually the K-3 with lens attached, and a couple of other lenses... depending on where I'm going, I may carry a second body & lens combination also....
01-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I usually don't carry my camera everywhere I go, unless I am traveling as a tourist. I did for a while, and it was with the DA 40mm XS, in a Canon bridge camera bag (very snug fit). The 40mm XS is super compact, affordable, great contrasts and colours, and snappy AF. Though, now I carry the DA 21mm, as I prefer wider angle. I think all the DA limited lenses are perfect for everyday carry. The 40mm is very affordable as the XS version, and the 70mm can be found for low prices second hand. DA 21mm was tricky, but I got lucky and got it for a reasonable price. Any of these on the K-50 would be super compact. K-S1 is a really really small camera, too, but its not much smaller than the K-50. But you know, if you want to upgrade and size is a big factor for you..

For a while I thought about buying into the m43 system, but those are super expensive and not that much smaller, once you factor in the lenses. Just seemed like too many cons and not enough pros to justify a switch. Pentax rules

01-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
During all-day hikes & tourism, I carry the camera & lens in the palm of my left hand. I sometimes switch to the right hand and sometimes let it hang around my neck. It is almost never in a bag or over the shoulder because I want to be able to quickly take pictures as I go.
01-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I used to keep my K3 and DA 18-135 WR with me a lot.
01-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't carried a camera around everywhere I go since I worked for a newspaper about 25-30 years ago. Back then, I carried my entire 20-pound bag of gear with me everywhere, just in case. Of course, I was n my 20s back then and didn't have chronic pain in my back and shoulder. These days, I don't make a living with my cameras anymore and although I still have too much gear, I make a point of traveling light. I try to think ahead and choose the camera body and lens(es) that I feel will best suit my needs and pack them in a small bag if I feel I must take a second lens along; otherwise, I just carry the camera itself, slung over my shoulder. I've got one of those cross-body sling straps that attaches to the tripod socket but I don't use it very often. My newest secret weapon is a Tamron 28-200 zoom lens that can easily serve as my one and only lens when I want to travel light. Just tuck an extra memory card and battery (or AA batteries if I'm shooting with my Kx or K2000) in my pocket and I'm good to go.

01-20-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We used to carry a camera (with a single normal or wide angle lens attached) around in things like this. The bottom section of the case attaches to the body's tripod mount. The neck strap is the camera's neck strap. The top part of the case unsnaps in the back and flops forward revealing the top of the camera and the lens, ready for shooting. The top part can also be removed. I'm sure similar cases will fit a K50. The pictured one is for an old Spotmatic I believe.
01-20-2017, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried a wide assortment of bags to have the camera with me all the time. I have determined that no one bag will cover all situations. I now have 4 different bags that I use:
  1. For just camera and one extra lens I use an old leather belt pack or fanny pack. It looks so 1980 it's funny but it works and it goes everywhere with me when I don't carry a bigger bag. It also fits perfectly under the driver's seat of the car.
  2. For more business like trips I have a Tenba messenger bag that fits camera, 2 lenses and my tablet plus notebook and other meeting stuff.
  3. When I need my laptop as well I have a ThinkTank bag that holds camera, two lenses, laptop, tablet, books, notebooks and a bunch of other stuff.
  4. When I need more camera stuff I use a LowePro sling bag that holds camera & lens, 4 other lenses, filters, teleconverter, and so on.

In your situation I would find a small belt pack or other bag, does not need to be camera specific. It just has to protect the camera. If all you need is the two lenses that should work. Check into the Op/Tech folding pouches, your small lenses will fit into them and can be safely added to your bag without bumping your camera.
01-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
For a while I thought about buying into the m43 system, but those are super expensive and not that much smaller, once you factor in the lenses. Just seemed like too many cons and not enough pros to justify a switch. Pentax rules
Even with DA Limited lenses the K kits are drastically larger than my m43 GX-1. I can carry my GX-1 in a belt pouch that my DA limited lenses would barely fit into. Be aware I'm using slower zooms or pancake primes on my GX-1 so the size is quite small. This also keeps costs down as this is not my primary system.

---------- Post added 01-20-17 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
Hi all,

As stated, how do you carry your camera with you every day. K50 with Sigma 24mm prime. Would also like to have the SMC F 50mm with me. Right now, camera slung over shoulder, lens in pock. This works pretty well this time of year in Ontario, though a little more camera protection would be great. For summer, it's not going to work for carrying the extra lens.

I'm thinking some kind of small sling like bag that can be thrown over the shoulder like a bike messenger bag. Who's tried what? I could also switch to smaller lenses (limited) but that's pretty spendy. I'm convinced I need my camera with me at all times. Yes, something smaller than a DSLR would be easier but I work better with this.
Maybe a small belt attached lens pouch and an ever ready type case for the camera and lens? Alternately a small messenger bag.
01-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not sure if this is the type of info you are looking for. I use a ONA Bowery bag (https://www.onabags.com/store/messenger-bags/the-bowery.html?color=field-tan) to carry my camera and limited primes. I found it on sale at a local camera store a couple of years ago, and I love it. I've nicknamed it my 'purse' as shortly after I got it my daughter dropped in, saw it, and asked who got the new purse

I can squeeze a K3 with 21 mounted, a DFA100, DA40, DA15, and DA70 in it using the optech dual lens mount caps. The 100 hood stays at home and I use the 49-26? step down ring as a hood instead.

01-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be a kind of halter advertised in camera magazines that crisscrossed the photographer's body and held one's SLR (with lens attached) affixed to the middle of one's chest. There was some sort of quick-release mechanism allowing one to snap the camera away from the harness almost instantly in order to take pictures. Obviously, this avoided a loose neck strap, and let the photographer's hands be free, between picture taking. Supposedly the camera was braced in such a way that the photographer could be pretty active between picture taking sessions, as well. I don't know what these contraptions were called or who made them. They might even still be available, at least used. Any other old timers remember what I'm talking about?
01-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
There used to be a kind of halter advertised in camera magazines that crisscrossed the photographer's body and held one's SLR (with lens attached) affixed to the middle of one's chest. There was some sort of quick-release mechanism allowing one to snap the camera away from the harness almost instantly in order to take pictures. Obviously, this avoided a loose neck strap, and let the photographer's hands be free, between picture taking. Supposedly the camera was braced in such a way that the photographer could be pretty active between picture taking sessions, as well. I don't know what these contraptions were called or who made them. They might even still be available, at least used. Any other old timers remember what I'm talking about?
I believe those are made by Cotton Carrier.
01-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. The two favorite ideas so far; a small sling bag (I've seen some nice leather ones on Kijiji for under $40; I guess they were popular as a women's purse) and the leather camera cover on the strap with a lens pouch. I think the second is better because the camera is always ready.

Thanks,

Jeff
01-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
Hi all,

Thanks,

Jeff
I carry a small messenger bag. Not everywhere I go, but a lot of the time. It's no more of an encumbrance than a lady's purse. I highly recommend the LowePro Event Messenger 100 for your K-50 and a spare lens. I mostly use the larger Event Messenger 150, with K-3 + lens, and two or three spare lenses. It is considerably chunkier and heavier than the 100.

I keep a small, soft, ripstop nylon messenger bag, with K20D and DA 18-250mm in the car.